Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam Package

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008 | 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Head/Cam Package

Finally got the money saved for a head and cam! Took forever! I'm posting this because whenever I get one of my bright ideas for performance parts I'm usually saved by everyone coming in and telling me "Don't waste your money on that crap!" or "That's way to expensive, just do this and that!" My car is a 2000 WS.6 M6 (Ported TB, SLP Lid, K&N Filter, Magnaflow CB). I really wanted to get a package that I could pass smog with. Of coarse I would add a dyno tune and LS6 intake if I decide to get this. What do you think? Should be pushin a little over 400WHP after the tune and this setup. I will not be getting long tubes in the future even though I know how much better they would be.
Utilizing specially prepared AFR cylinder heads and a custom camshaft, your engine will retain stock appearance and stock idle while still enjoying tire-boiling horsepower and torque. This package is designed to give you real world horsepower gains, but retain your factory exhaust system, catalytic converters, and exhaust manifolds. Best of all, the driveability remains virtually unchanged and your vehicle will even be emissions friendly!
As seen on the dyno sheet, a gain of nearly sixty rear wheel horsepower was seen with the addition of the head/cam package. Previous mods included a high flow lid, ported throttle body, under drive pulley, and LS6 intake manifold. After the installation of the package, the Trans Am dynoed 394.29 rear wheel horsepower. Remember, this was achieved using factory manifolds, catalytic converters, and exhaust system. The package includes
specially prepared, fully assembled AFR 205 cylinder heads, combined with the 214/230 .601/.575 117 LSA cam. The package costs $2560 and TR 7.375pushrods are available for an additional $110. Do I have to get the pushrods?
Thanks a lot gentlemen.
Old 11-07-2008 | 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dunno about that cam, lsa is that of a stock cam almost, shorten that lsa up, try searching for a better cam with those heads, i would think you will make 400rwhp but you will probably be leaving power on the table with that cam
Old 11-07-2008 | 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah, you should get pushrods too
Old 11-07-2008 | 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly if it were me I would not waste the money on that cam. With proper tuning small cams can still pass emisions. Something about a h/c car with AFRs no less making under 400rwhp just doesnt seem right.

Id look for a 220-224 duration cam with those AFRs and make over 400rw. The exhaust will hold you back but what you could do is get shorty headers and either get an old set of cats and gut em or have tubes made to replace them. That way when you need to pass emisions you put your cats back on and pass, you make more power and dont have to buy new cats every few years.
Old 11-07-2008 | 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That cam isn't even worth buying. Yes you need push rods the stock ones are crap. Call up Tony Mamo at AFR and he'll steer you in the right direction.

Add y-pipe and headers to your list as well.
Old 11-07-2008 | 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Cam is too small...you're not using the heads to their full potential