Sponsored by:

Has ANYONE broken a "blue stripe" 918?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Has ANYONE broken a

I broke a blue stripe tonight
Oh ****! I've only been running mine for about 700 miles so far with no problems on this big cam.

PLEASE let us in on how many miles, cam specs, and everything else.
Thanks
Scott
Old 10-17-2003, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you spraying when it broke?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running these springs for about 8 to 10000 miles.. My cam specs are 232/236 .595/.598 lsa 114 plus 4.. The bad part is I was just telling a friend last night I want to change the springs so I could try the yella terras.. I figured it was about time to change them. The car had just rec'd tuning TODAY.. We found that the previous tune was weak on the timing down low.. Once that was changed the car felt like I had the 4.10's back in.. The spring broke while playing with a Gixxer. I was winning the race, but shut her down as soon as I heard the tapping.. We pulled the valve cover off and I know for sure a valve is bent. The bad part is coolant came out of the exhaust. I checked the oil and to my surprise there is no coolant in the oil. I could not pull the bent valve up. I have forged pistons, so I am hoping that I only have head damage. Like a broke valve guide. I will know by the end of next week what the actual damage is.. Any guesses?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Shorty Director

Were you spraying when it broke?
Nope.. The bottle was in my garage..
Old 10-17-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Has ANYONE broken a "blue stripe" 918?

Yes I recently broke a blue stripe and didn't even know it until I pulled the heads to have them CNCed. I was having misfires from time to time and I attributed the P0300 DTCs to the PCM trying to get to know the new cam I put in about a month ago. I would get the SES MIL, but it would reset itself the next day. Richard of Pro Heads told me my DTC was due to the broken spring. I'll find out if he was right soon because I just put the heads back on and will fire the motor up for the first time in the morning. If my SED MIL doesn't come on in a couple of days I'll know for sure it was because of the broken blue stripe 918. The cam is 206/212 112 LSA. My effective lift is 563/570 because of my Pro Mag 1.85 ratio rockers. As you can see this is not an agressive setup compared to most so I was really surpried to find a broken spring so soon. The springs were on for less than 3 months and less than 1K miles and very little if any sustained high RPM runs at the time ths spring broke. I was lucky because the break was at the top of the spring on the very first coil. The spring some how did not collapse on itself so the retainer and locks stayed in place preventing major damage. I found the broken spring by chance when I was getting ready to ship my heads to have the mill work done. I decided to remove the valves since I was having larger stainless valves installed anyway. As I was boxing the springs for shipment the spring came apart in my hand with the first coil remaining stuck to the retainer. I couldn't believe it. Now I'm really concerned because these springs were reinstalled on my CNCed heads along one from Comp which I had to pay for myself until Comp examines the broken one to see if it was a manufacturers defect.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I recently broke a blue stripe and didn't even know it until I pulled the heads to have them CNCed. I was having misfires from time to time and I attributed the P0300 DTCs to the PCM trying to get to know the new cam I put in about a month ago. I would get the SES MIL, but it would reset itself the next day. Richard of Pro Heads told me my DTC was due to the broken spring. I'll find out if he was right soon because I just put the heads back on and will fire the motor up for the first time in the morning. If my SED MIL doesn't come on in a couple of days I'll know for sure it was because of the broken blue stripe 918. The cam is 206/212 112 LSA. My effective lift is 563/570 because of my Pro Mag 1.85 ratio rockers. As you can see this is not an agressive setup compared to most so I was really surpried to find a broken spring so soon. The springs were on for less than 3 months and less than 1K miles and very little if any sustained high RPM runs at the time ths spring broke. I was lucky because the break was at the top of the spring on the very first coil. The spring some how did not collapse on itself so the retainer and locks stayed in place preventing major damage. I found the broken spring by chance when I was getting ready to ship my heads to have the mill work done. I decided to remove the valves since I was having larger stainless valves installed anyway. As I was boxing the springs for shipment the spring came apart in my hand with the first coil remaining stuck to the retainer. I couldn't believe it. Now I'm really concerned because these springs were reinstalled on my CNCed heads along one from Comp which I had to pay for myself until Comp examines the broken one to see if it was a manufacturers defect.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Shorty Director

My spring broke near the middle and it did collapse.. The valve did not fully drop because the keepers were still holding, but on their way out as well.. I could not pull the valve up, so I know it is bent for sure and the valve guide is shot..
Old 10-18-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I broke one and didn't know it until I pulled the heads to have them CNCed. The springs were on only 3 months and less than 1K miles and not a lot of high RPM revving. I was lucky because the spring broke on the first upper coil and didn't collapse on itself which would have caused major engine damage. If I hadn't pulled the heads I'd still be driving around with that broken spring which is a disaster waiting to happen. The cam is mild at 206/212 112 LSA. The rockers are CC Pro Mag 1.85 so my effective lift is 563/570. The springs were installed in the ported heads so I'm hoping I don't break another one anytime soon.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vince, could you test the rest of the springs to see if they are still in spec? They might have just reached their service duration limit and failed that way.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could any of the failures be attributed to reving a cold engine too soon? I understand 918's are very brittle before getting up to operating temperature.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

TTT

Anyone else out there having problems with these springs?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:53 AM
Shorty Director

Vince, could you test the rest of the springs to see if they are still in spec? They might have just reached their service duration limit and failed that way.
I will test the rest of the springs for sure.. I am very curious..
Old 10-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Shorty Director

Also remember guys I had very high mileage on these springs. Even though my car sits all week and come out on the weekend. I do venture above 150mph atleast once a weekend.. I also did notice getting SES lights before this happened, but I thought my new tune was a little sensitive and that is why I was getting the p0300 code. Now I know it was a hint that something was actually wrong. My only fear is damage other than to the heads.. The keeper somehow held and the valve did not drop into the engine, but I cant pull it up so it is bent for sure.. Secondary to coolant loss I either have a broken valve guide or a cracked head.. It all happened so quickly I am still shocked. I am going to pull the motor and check the rod bearings for my own peace of mind. I should have some more information by the end of the week.. I am going to pull the driver side head first and inspect the piston and the head.. Then I will pull the motor and inspect the rod bearings. If I do not like what I see motor wise, i.e. damaged sleeve, etc.. I will pursue going bigger
Old 10-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Shorty Director

I have to set the record straight.. I could not find any paint on the springs. I have no clue if the paint came off or not, but I remember there was paint on them when I installed the heads. Now I just cant remember if the paint was blue. So I cant say for sure these were blue striped even though I know I paid for the ones that were post the messed up ones.. Well the point is mute now.. I need a new motor. The valve broke off and ruined my shortblock.. I guess I have no choice now but to go BIGGER!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

I broke a blue spring 918 after only 3 months and less than 1K miles with little high RPM revving. I only found the spring when I pulled my heads to have them CNCed. I removed the valves since I was having larger stainless valves installed and while putting the springs into the box for shipment one spring came apart in my hand at the first coil wrap. I was lucky that it broke where it did. I believe this prevented it from collapsing on itself causing catostrophic engine failure. If I had not decided to remove my heads I'd still be driving around with that broken spring until it failed. I had the 918s reinstalled in my CNCed heads so I have my fingers crossed that no more blue stripes fail.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have to set the record straight.. I could not find any paint on the springs. I have no clue if the paint came off or not, but I remember there was paint on them when I installed the heads. Now I just cant remember if the paint was blue. So I cant say for sure these were blue striped even though I know I paid for the ones that were post the messed up ones.. Well the point is mute now.. I need a new motor. The valve broke off and ruined my shortblock.. I guess I have no choice now but to go BIGGER!!!!
Hmmm, that's weird. But I do think that he paint can come off. I don't think my brother's stripe was still on his when we swapped cams the other day. Maybe it can wear off.

I'm sorry to hear about your motor man. That sucks. You should have the new heads setup with Dual Isky 6205s. I haven't heard of any of those breaking. MTI uses them on their superstrokers without fail.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Shorty Director

Levi what size is your motor? Is it iron?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Levi what size is your motor? Is it iron?
It's 428 (I rounded the decimal up ), re-sleeved aluminum block.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, Vince, my brother said almost all the blue paint was gone from his blue stripe 918s after we did his recent swap.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:10 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Yes, the paint will wear off over time.

Sorry to hear about your motor Vince. Good luck with the new buildup.

Quick Reply: Has ANYONE broken a "blue stripe" 918?