Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20PSI oil pressure in rebuilt motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
20w 50????? why the hell are you running such a thick oil? you know that 5w 30 and 20w 50 have the same viscosity at operating temps? the difference is at start up where motors take the most wear and a 20w 50 is waaaaaaay to thick man you need to read this ASAP http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136052 and change your oil type soon
ha, the only time you use 20/50 is when you are trying to sell a car with too much clearance and you want the gauge to look good!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
^^SM is right as I understand it. Then the oil pump spins faster as rpm's rise and OP picks up. I have seen cars run tens of thousnds of miles like this so there is no way to tell.

As long as your oil pressure is decent you should be ok for a while. You prolly know this but a rough rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpms.
Gotcha. It doesnt drop much...2-3 psi. I it only has 28k on it with like 20passes and 10 dyno runs on it so. i get about 35-40 psi (autometer) and 40-45 psi (stock) at idle.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

finally got around to tearing it back down today. The o ring looked perfect and the retainer plate was tightened all the way down. Does that little gasket on the backside of the plate ever go bad? Also does anyone have any pictures of which way that little gasket behind the cam sprocket goes?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Well it doesnt drop then pick up when I rev it up....I changed the oil and filter. The oil looked good. Had some small metal shavings on the oil drain plug, not big chunks or anything. Just look like a new motor breaking in.

But the pressure is still low. Im going to hook up a mechanical guage just to rule that out before I tear into the motor again. But I'm leaning towards the o-ring or the pick-up tube not sealing on the pump good, I do have some bubbles on the dipstick so I guess thats a sign of air in the oiling system from something.
Bubbles or milky substance? If its milky than that's coolant in the oil.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

bubbles
Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk00ss
finally got around to tearing it back down today. The o ring looked perfect and the retainer plate was tightened all the way down. Does that little gasket on the backside of the plate ever go bad? Also does anyone have any pictures of which way that little gasket behind the cam sprocket goes?
Yes those gaskets can go bad and cause low oil pressure. It should be facing toward the block so that the plate seals the front oil galley.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it was facing the right way. Anyone know about that bearing looking thing between the retainer plate and cam sprocket
Old 11-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

start simple, take off oil pan and inspect pick up tube. check for cracks in it, and be sure the seal is good. a machinist should know a lot about bearing clearances, using micrometers and so on. i would suspect pick up tube or faulty pump. that is if you have a lot of faith in your mechanic.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
start simple, take off oil pan and inspect pick up tube. check for cracks in it, and be sure the seal is good. a machinist should know a lot about bearing clearances, using micrometers and so on. i would suspect pick up tube or faulty pump. that is if you have a lot of faith in your mechanic.
if it was simple to drop the pan I would of already done that. I'm going to pull the cam and check those bearings and swap out oil pump and o ring and slap it all back together and see if that does anything...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM WORLD CLASS
lol, so your saying that if you run looser bearings youll have the same oil pressure as tight bearings. you probuly havent built many engines. think of it this way if you have ever taken a flat piece of iron or glass and have had water inbetween the surfaces that first bit of pushing is easy, but that last bit to push all of the liquid out is hard. same pricible in bearing clearance. easy pushing low oil pressure.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

UPDATE:

I finally got a mechanical guage on it. I drilled and tapped the piece thats above the oil filter. The oil was moving so slow that it barely made it to the guage its self. When it di, it was showing what the car shows.. around 20psi COLD. I have changed the oil pump, and put a new o-ring on it. By the way the old o-ring looked fine to me, no tears or deformities. The cam retainer plate is on and tight, and the gasket on the back of it looks fine. Whats next? I know that the oil plug is in the back of the block, but is it possible that when I squished on it, it could have blew it out? Thats my next step....pull the transmission and have a look see back there.

I just dont see it spinning a bearing. I have seen many bearings spun and never seen a drop in oil pressure like this. Its like it is just bypassing the pump all together somehow? Anyone with anymore ideas I would truely appreciate it. Thanks again guys...
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 AM
TECH Addict

bump...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

dude i had the same issue and it was a cam bearinf that walked our exposing the oil gallery. i asked if others heard of this but got only surprise. at least one other person now said that happened. anyway check it out.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

had the same motor, they ended up building it to tight. and i spun a rod. re did it again and put in a melling oil pump ( ported ls6 before)
and 15w50 race oil
works perfect.

low oil pressure is NOT a good thing.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svsgt1
dude i had the same issue and it was a cam bearinf that walked our exposing the oil gallery. i asked if others heard of this but got only surprise. at least one other person now said that happened. anyway check it out.
Did your motor not make any noises? Was the your oil pressure as low as mine? I just don't see one spun rod bearing dropping 40 pounds of oil pressure. I'm probably wrong tho LOL

Last edited by blk00ss; 11-27-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Teching In

you change the oil filter i assume?

thicker oil if anyhting will give you MORE pressure than a thin oil. use it all the time on older engines to help put more of a buffer between parts.

but on a new engine it might have done somethign to the oil pump. possibly breaking the pressure relief spring. keepin the pump in bleed off mode so to speek all the time not allowing it to build pressure.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I have changed the filter. And the oil pump is another brand new one.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

"I know that the oil plug is in the back of the block, but is it possible that when I squished on it, it could have blew it out? Thats my next step....pull the transmission and have a look see back there. "

I knocked mine out trying to get my pilot bearing out and i had no change in oil pressure just an oil leak and trust me you will know without pulling the transmission.... BTW id let the engine builder take car of this problem...Have you contacted them? What did they say? I wouldndt be supised to that initial heavy oil to have caused some damage to some bearings on the first startup!

Last edited by 00_STANG_KILLER; 11-30-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00_STANG_KILLER
"I know that the oil plug is in the back of the block, but is it possible that when I squished on it, it could have blew it out? Thats my next step....pull the transmission and have a look see back there. "

I knocked mine out trying to get my pilot bearing out and i had no change in oil pressure just an oil leak and trust me you will know without pulling the transmission.... BTW id let the engine builder take car of this problem...Have you contacted them? What did they say? I wouldndt be supised to that initial heavy oil to have caused some damage to some bearings on the first startup!
I believe your talking about the crank freeze plug. I'm talking about another one that's behind the rear cover. Also why would TEXAS SPEED recommend a thick oil if it would hurt my motor
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
stay away from that valvoline ****. i have seen many engines lost from it. there is a little bar belle in the oil gally of the block. that may have been flipped around. also what were the bearing clearances ran on the engine. this would be useful information.
hmm i think i mentined that and you scoffed at me.

Quick Reply: 20PSI oil pressure in rebuilt motor.