Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dust/Dirt getting into new engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust/Dirt getting into new engine

ill be pulling my engine today and will have it on a stand in my garage but heres the thing.....my dad BBQ's in the ******* garage!!! Yes i know its crazy and weve tried to get him to do it elsewhere but he wont. he uses charcoal BTW.

Anyway, theres a crapload of bbq dust in the garage and its all over everything and theres big piles of it by the bbq. i cleaned it up last night and scooped it into bags and then used a leaf blower to blow the remaining out of the garage. I got the majority of it outta there but when i was trying blow it out of the garage it just made a huge dust cloud in the garage and just settled back down on everything.

since i got the most of it out do you think it will be clean enough to build an engine in there? it seems like it only gets on stuff if it gets kicked up into the air. If i keep it covered with a garbage bag or something when im not working on the motor, do you think ill be safe?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Launching!

I would just keep everything you can in a clean environment like a basement. Your machine shop should send everything back to you bagged to keep it clean, or at least my does. Then just keep it covered as you assemble and you should be all set. I would have an accident with the BBQ, like accidently drive dads car into the thing!! Good luch
Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

U can buy engine bags
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tape up all the obvious holes and then throw a big blanket over it. Either that or get some trash bags and make an engine bag.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A extra large plastic bag should do it...