Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the !@# does an LS1 with less than 30k on it burn oil as much as gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

99% chance its the stock PCV system thats causing your excessive oil consumption.

As the other guys said, the best solution is to switch to the LS6 style PCV system, which involves replacing the valley cover with the newer design.

Even better than the LS6 system is the newer L92 design. It doesn't even require a PCV valve, its all built into the valley cover, so all you need to do is run a hose from the intake valley to the TB.

Part number is 12577927 for the L92 setup, I got mine from GM parts direct for only $55.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you starting to get some answers. When I pulled the throttle body off my SS at 15,000 miles to port it, I found the whole inside of the intake was wet with oil. My car has always used oil, even when new, but I had already seen what a friend went through at the dealer to find nothing.

As soon as I can, I hope to put the LS6 conversion and a catch can on the car. Seems to be the best approach from all the research I did on here.

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
99% chance its the stock PCV system thats causing your excessive oil consumption.

As the other guys said, the best solution is to switch to the LS6 style PCV system, which involves replacing the valley cover with the newer design.

Even better than the LS6 system is the newer L92 design. It doesn't even require a PCV valve, its all built into the valley cover, so all you need to do is run a hose from the intake valley to the TB.

Part number is 12577927 for the L92 setup, I got mine from GM parts direct for only $55.
Awesome answers all - VERY happy for the help! I'll tear the intake off when I get home to see what all's inside there. If that's all it is, I'll be a happy man. If not, we'll dig into it further How hard is it to do the LS6 conversion? I'm not a total auto newb, but not Mr. Mechanic either.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

whats gc ow30
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put 6 quarts in my car every oil change and go 4K between changes and sometimes its as low as the 1 quart low mark which is really 1 1/2 because I used a full 6 quarts. I have never really worried about it.

Now the 1st thing I would do in your situation is go to a fully vented PCV system and see what happens.

Last edited by c0ncEpT; 12-24-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Is this done in the same way as the LS6 conversion?Or you simply just change the valley cover?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 QUIK LS1
Is this done in the same way as the LS6 conversion?Or you simply just change the valley cover?
Well thats all the LS6 conversion really is...changing the valley cover. So basically you just cap off the PCV ports on the valve covers, swap valley covers, and hook up the PCV line to the TB.

On the older LS1 blocks though, you have to grind down a section of the block casting inside the valley to make room for the PCV system on the underside of the cover. Not much to it, it just takes some extra time and patience.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well thats all the LS6 conversion really is...changing the valley cover. So basically you just cap off the PCV ports on the valve covers, swap valley covers, and hook up the PCV line to the TB.

On the older LS1 blocks though, you have to grind down a section of the block casting inside the valley to make room for the PCV system on the underside of the cover. Not much to it, it just takes some extra time and patience.
Yeah... given mine's an 01, I'm expecting it to be an old-style block...

Anyone know a good mechanic in the colorado area who can do this? I certainly don't trust myself for it.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Pennzoil 5w-30 full synthetic, can't remember what their brand name for it is. Why?
i had the same issue; i used the SAME oil and in 2 weeks my "low Oil" light came on. I swaped it out for Valvoline Max Life (had 75K miles on it) 10w30 and never had an issue since. This was 2 yrs ago. I burn about 1-1 1/2 qts every 3K miles now.

However, i also have piston slap; i think the oil was too thin and just seeping by. 2 yrs later, NO issues. *knock on wood*
Old 12-24-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

I may switch to a heavier weight oil then and give that a try too.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS6 PCV Valley cover will require some cutting/Grinding of the LS1 block to allow the LS6 Valley cover to seat fully. There is a How to instructions on the LS1Howto site... It requires removing about a 1"x 3/4" part of the block, but don't worry, it will not hurt or weaken the block any due to the location of the area that must be removed.

Also, just replacing the LS1 PCV valve with the newer design will also help.. the older PCV Valve used a check ball design and the newer design used a smaller hole design. I has been known to help with the oil lost.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I can safely say that cutting or grinding on the block are way outside what I'm capable of, let alone willing to try.

I'm looking at the new PCV valve and an oil separator instead. Especially since I can't find a decent shop/tuner around to do any work on the thing at all.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk18
whats gc ow30
German-Castrol oil in a 0W-30 weight. Hard to find but treasured by just about everyone on this site except for me...
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Great advise..
90% of the guys on this forum run Mobil1 and swear by it... Me being one of them.. My first motor went 230K running Mobil1!

Second motor has slightly over 48K and running very strong!

Great advise... you should surely listen to this guy.

The culprit is not your oil.. you hit it when you said rings/valves... (seals)..

GL buddy... don't get discouraged, these are great cars if taken care of.

Originally Posted by jsteele90
if you are running mobil1 then get rid of that ****
Old 12-26-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL it has nothign to do with oil brand. oil is oil, they are both liquid both combustable.

You have a motor from 01. Thats the year LSx motors had incorrect piston rings installed and they will flutter on high RPM. You will need a ring job done and have the updated rings installed from GM; yeah its sucks coz its a big job. might as well do motor work

altho- the LS6 PCV valley thing idea is a good start before ripping into the motor. the oil catch can is needed either way too.

Last edited by eamador11; 12-26-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

any more info on this? does this require cutting the older blocks? or it just another improvement on the LS6 PCV?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully the who ever had the car first did not overheat it one time and made all the seals harden. Happened to mine when I got it. Did not know when I bought it, but the next day I moved the car and there was a puddle of oil. Turned out to be the rear main and the oil sender. I know you said it does not leak oil outside, but other seals could be leaking.

Is there smoke out tail pipes when you first start it up when it is cold?
It could just be the pcv system like everybody else is saying too. Mine had a pcv line crack that was behind the intake and made tuning my cam impossible due to the vacuum leak as well oil consumption.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Teching In

My 01 SS drinks about 2qts of oil every 3k as well, this is what I found:

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-023

Date: October, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
(Replace Rings)

Models:
1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S - RPOs LS1, LS6)

Condition

Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

Cause

The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs - typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

Correction

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important: Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively effect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

I emailed the above to my local dealership and made an appointment for the 8th of Jan for them to run some tests and they quoted, "The GM bulletin also points to another possible cause for oil consumption relating to the engine valley cover which would require some inspection."

So, we'll have to wait till the snow clears up and I'll keep u guys posted.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SsSteven
My 01 SS drinks about 2qts of oil every 3k as well, this is what I found:

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-023

Date: October, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption
(Replace Rings)

Models:
1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird
with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S - RPOs LS1, LS6)

Condition

Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

Cause

The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs - typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

Correction

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important: Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively effect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

I emailed the above to my local dealership and made an appointment for the 8th of Jan for them to run some tests and they quoted, "The GM bulletin also points to another possible cause for oil consumption relating to the engine valley cover which would require some inspection."

So, we'll have to wait till the snow clears up and I'll keep u guys posted.
definitely let me know!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
Great advise..
90% of the guys on this forum run Mobil1 and swear by it... Me being one of them.. My first motor went 230K running Mobil1!

Second motor has slightly over 48K and running very strong!

Great advise... you should surely listen to this guy.

The culprit is not your oil.. you hit it when you said rings/valves... (seals)..

GL buddy... don't get discouraged, these are great cars if taken care of.
^^^^+1 I agree! I run Mobil1 and have never had problem! I swear by the stuff! I run it in my car as well as my truck! I used to manage an oil change shop and had customers running Mobil1 in there cars religiously with no problems! Also why would GM recommend Mobil1 in there brand new Corvettes, if it was a bad oil that caused problems?

Quick Reply: How the !@# does an LS1 with less than 30k on it burn oil as much as gas?