Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will bent rocker cause tapping?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the big pulley toward the bottom of the block is the crank pulley it has 2 belts on it (in my GTO anyway). there is a bolt that is right in the middle of the pulley, turn that and you will turn the crank.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97blackz28
the big pulley toward the bottom of the block is the crank pulley it has 2 belts on it (in my GTO anyway). there is a bolt that is right in the middle of the pulley, turn that and you will turn the crank.
Looking in the engine bay from the front of the car, it's on the side of the block closest to you correct? All I see are belts, I thought there was supposed to be a chain... at least judging by that pic.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Launching!

The crank pulley is on the front of the motor right behind the radiator towards the bottom.

that chain from the earlier post is the timing chain. you are not going to beable to see that with out disassembling the the front of the engine and pulling the front cover off.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a photo of the motor out of the car. Bolt is shown in red. That's the one you use to turn the motor over.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh! Ok, I know exactly where that is. Thanks guys, hopefully I can do this tomorrow. That noise is so annoying.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vicinity, it might be a lifter, but know that everyone blames lifters for tapping/ticking sounds under the hood. Hell, I think people who don't even know what lifters are blame them. Yes, if might be them.

The first thing I would check is your exhaust manifold gaskets. Then go on to the valve train (lifters/rockers/pushrods/springs/etc.). I went to a good shop in town, popped my hood and said, "what is that?"

Long story short, everyone said it was the valve train, but it was my driver's side header gasket. It was a ticking/tapping so loud you could hear it over my dual cut-outs. If you've never heard dual cut-outs or open headers, they blow away true duals.

Good luck, man!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I should check my manifold gasket? I was thinking it might be there, but the noise just sounded like it was something else. I'll check that first.

Where can I pick up stock gaskets? (Autozone?)
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicinity
So I should check my manifold gasket? I was thinking it might be there, but the noise just sounded like it was something else. I'll check that first.

Where can I pick up stock gaskets? (Autozone?)
Are you running headers or stock manifolds?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^It doesn't matter. I run stock gaskets on my QTP longtubes.

Vicinity, yeah, just go to AZ. Since the only way I know to "check" them is to remove them and look at them, buy a set and change them. All you do is unbolt the manis, slip them out, slip in the new ones. Make sure to put a little anti-seize back on the bolts and don't get them cross-threaded going back in as your heads are aluminum. Getting them back in is much easier with one person to hold the gasket. Twenty minuets a side to do, not counting beer drinking, cigarette smoking, BS shooting time.

No, I don't know what size bolt they are.

Good luck!