Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keith Craft Heads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about what ls2 bait said. Intakes couldn't give a crap about the lift on your cam. That's one problem with the internet.. truth until proven wrong. The less you trust posts online, the better off you'll be. For one example, he basicly said "your cam is too small to need heads with amazing flow, so don't bother." Tell that to AFR, with their 205cc runner and 224/228 cam combo. A nice rule of thumb: If you can afford it, spend the money on heads.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
Don't worry about what ls2 bait said. Intakes couldn't give a crap about the lift on your cam. That's one problem with the internet.. truth until proven wrong. The less you trust posts online, the better off you'll be. For one example, he basicly said "your cam is too small to need heads with amazing flow, so don't bother." Tell that to AFR, with their 205cc runner and 224/228 cam combo. A nice rule of thumb: If you can afford it, spend the money on heads.
no what i said was the .600 numbers dont mean **** to him...which the basicly dont. afr heads have some of the best if not THE best low and mid lift numbers...right where the stock style intake and a smaller cam like the 228 are designed to work.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
I don't mean to be over-thinking it, I am just trying to make a good decision. It's a lot of money I am spending here on everything and I want to do it right. And I am not just looking at the flow numbers @.600, I am looking at all of the flow #'s at different lifts. Yes, I also look at the .600 too just to see whats its capable of but I know the 228R is only a .588 lift cam. And yeah I still have my stock LS6 intake. Not sure what you mean by pointing out that my stock intake is not good for higher lift cams...what relevance does that have to me when I am not getting a "higher lift" cam? I've already purchased the 228R and now looking for the best heads for them, thats all. And for the record, I'd personally call a 228R a mid-sized cam. But thats relative to "streetable" cams, as my car is a street car, not a track rig.
i was referring to the flow of the intake at .600 and above. not so much the lift on the cam but the effective range of where you are going to be using it. the 228 is a decent cam but its def on the smaller side with what a lot of guys run. the ls6 intake is a good peice i woudnt change it on that combo myself. and streetable is all up to the owner. and a lot to do with the tune. my 247/254 drives very well just from the tune. so did my 232/234. u shouldnt have any issues at all with driveabilty with that cam.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
a 243 head should always perform better than a 5.3 head. It's just a much better port. If you are in need of compression, mill.
agreed, anyone that pulls the 243's off a Z06 to go to a ported 5.3 head is taking a step backward.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
agreed, anyone that pulls the 243's off a Z06 to go to a ported 5.3 head is taking a step backward.
Even if its brand new ported 5.3's that give them ~30rwhp gain for a net cost of ~$500?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even then...you could spend $500 on a valve job and milling on the 243's and not touch the ports and make as much power with the 243's as you would with the cnc ported 5.3's. Then if you want to push it further you could have a nice CNC program done on the 243's later.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, show me a Z06 that's gained 30rwhp by pulling the stock 243's and going with ported 5.3's. Interestingly enough I've never seen one gain that unless they were on a real happy dyno.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well I originally inquired about having my heads ported, and Dennis @ The Vette Docs gave prices that were quite high to have them ported etc. He said I'd be better off buying a set that was already ported and than selling off mine. So I started looking at the PRC heads as they seem to be the best bang for the buck....especially considering I just bought a cam kit from them and I assume they will give me a price reduction on par with the differenc of what their heads/cam package is. Their ported stage 2.5 LS6 heads are $300 more than the ported 5.3's and I just don't know if thats worth it...especially considering there are several people out there saying the 5.3's would actually be a better combo with my 228r cam...

As far as the 30-35rwhp increase, predator-z said that right in this thread, and I am also going on an estimate based on numbers I have seen with those heads and the same or similar cam.

As I posted in the other thread. You are saying the LS6 heads are so much better. Well, can you quantify that? What would the advantages be? 5hp more peak power?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

go with AFR 205's and be done with it...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to put a truck head on your Z06 then have at it, it's your car. Ask some of the big names in cylinder head porting which stock casting is the best, or for that matter do a search. Honestly PRC heads are lower end budget heads so either casting with their port work will probably work fine for what you want.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their ported stage 2.5 LS6 heads are $300 more than the ported 5.3's and I just don't know if thats worth it...
The heads are probably the very best area to gain power. Spend the money on them now and save up for other stuff(like a FAST intake) later. If the TEA LS6 heads are the same price as PRC then I'd definitely pick the TEA stuff.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

no, the TEA heads are much more expensive, as are the AFR's. Honestly, I never seem to see any better numbers from those high dollar heads. It seems more like you pay for the name more than anything. Most people seem to be quite happy with their PRC heads...and they seem to produce good results. There's a ton of people on the board who have them. So it seems there heads work well, but just so happen to be priced reasonably.

Now if AFR and TEA etc are so much better, that's fine, but why? Where's the proof? Is the couple of hp difference they might make worth double the price?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
9 Second Club

no, the TEA heads are much more expensive, as are the AFR's. Honestly, I never seem to see any better numbers from those high dollar heads. It seems more like you pay for the name more than anything. Most people seem to be quite happy with their PRC heads...and they seem to produce good results. There's a ton of people on the board who have them. So it seems there heads work well, but just so happen to be priced reasonably.

Now if AFR and TEA etc are so much better, that's fine, but why? Where's the proof? Is the couple of hp difference they might make worth double the price?
you have to be careful looking at dyno numbers. most show you the numbers when it was all said and done. no before numbers or sometimes even on diff dynos is diff conditions. i picked up 120 rwhp and 75 lb ft of torque with my head and cam combo. but i had a slightly larger cam and used the tfs heads. i dont think i would have been able to do that with a stock ported head.you want to make sure you are getting the chamber sizes that will allow you to clear ptv and give you the best dcr/ scr. in my case i needed a 60cc chamber and i didnt want to flycut to clear my cam so the tfs heads were just a better choice for me.