Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE OF IMMITATORS - cheaper timing chains are being sold as the C5-R

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iwis Chain and SDPC

We have been buying and selling Iwis chains for a minimum of 15-years. Our quest for a premium timing chain began when we were looking for a less expensive alternative to using the Jesel belt drive that would live under the high horsepower conditions of our drag race big blocks Chevrolet engines. We found the premium German made Iwis chains were second to none in quality and value. Iwis is a huge manufacturing company and is one of the major suppliers in the world for chains of all types. I am certain they are probably the largest supplier for automotive timing chains in the world.
The SDPC Iwis chains come thru our supplier, they are in the Iwis box, they are made in Germany, and we order them by part number. And until recently all of these orders came thru US Customs before they arrived here at SDPC. They are now warehoused here in the USA and we no longer have to wait for Customs clearance! And we are grateful for that!
It has been at least 8 years since I have seen the numbers but we did have the tensile strength and various other technical information relating this to the stock GM chain. The Iwis was superior in every aspect. We have numerous engine builders that use nothing but this chain because of its fit, function, price and durability. So YES, these are performance aftermarket Iwis chains and we have been selling Iwis chains before the LS engine was born.
Also, to clear up the reference on the GM LS2 and LS7 chains being different --- they ARE NOT different. GM installs the same chain in the L59, L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LM7, LMF, LMG, LQ4, LQ9, LS1, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS6, LS7, LS9, LSA, LY2, LY5, LY6, and SR4. I believe this chain is supplied from Cloyes and I think they have the chain made by Rolon. I know that Cloyes also offered a premium timing set for the LS1/LS6 with a very expensive chain and I believe this chain was produced in France (Renold Manufacturing). In late 1999 (as I recall) GM recommended this chain to us for SCCA racing in the LS1 engines. It was really expensive and we began looking for other suppliers for the LS chain.
We love Iwis chains and I am certain that is why Katech sourced this company to make a chain to withstand the tortures of thousands of gear changes, constant acceleration and deceleration for 24-hours of endurance racing. Bottom line --- Iwis makes a superior chain! Our Iwis chain is an upgrade to the stock chain and the Iwis manufactured Katech chain is an upgrade from that. Evaluate your requirements, budget, horsepower, and racing to build what suits you! BTW – there is no chain that will make up for serious driver error and/or other catastrophic mechanical engine failure!!! If you race enough that your engine supplier rebuilds your engine every year, then I would think he replaces your chain every year. If you are a street cruiser and only make it to the track a couple a times a year, these chains should last a lifetime.

Quick Reply: BEWARE OF IMMITATORS - cheaper timing chains are being sold as the C5-R