Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any harm in doing a valve spring change now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Any harm in doing a valve spring change now?

Well because I have half my LS1 ripped apart due to the bad lifter I'm replacing, I'm thinking of other things to do while the car is apart.
I've got to yank the heads, and am thinking of switching over to stock 243's, and/or at the very least going to better valve springs now.

I want to run an MS4 cam, I'm thinking it would be a hell of a lot easier to switch valve springs now while the cylinder heads are off?
Do most people use the old air pressure technique, to take off valve springs... I've never done that... it scares me.

Am I going to run into problems with the stock cam, and heavy duty springs? Also what springs do you guys recommend?
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

How many miles do you have? Your stock springs will do just fine with a stock config. No sense in wearing out high lift springs for nothing. Airing up the cylinders will hold the valve just fine, just make sure you have good pressure when you hook it up. It won't hurt anything having high lift springs though, nor will it help.
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

If youre going to yank the heads off then you dont need to worry about the air method.
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkbird
If youre going to yank the heads off then you dont need to worry about the air method.
I've just never used the air pressure method. So with the heads off, I'm thinking of swapping the springs. Any recommendations? Or am I just better off waiting?
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

I would changed the springs while the heads are off.
if the heads were on the car I would prefer the TDC method.
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

If you have even the slightest hunch you might do a cam swap in the future do it now. It takes 10 minutes on a bench as opposed to hours of hard work. It took us 6 hours to do mine but it was my first swap. And my spring tool was shitty. (MORE tool from Thunder). You will be glad you went ahead and did it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit...just reread your post and saw you want a magic stick. For sure do it now. Duals are a BITCH with the heads on the car. Doable, but a bitch. Do it now. Or you could wait and wish you did it already. Your choice