Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What roller rockers for my setup???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What roller rockers for my setup???

Ok i'm new to some of this, but i'm doing a head cam/swap. I have a 230/233 comp cam. I'm then just upgrading my heads from 853's to 243's with sodium valves and dual springs. What roller rockers should I use here and what will they benefit me? I was told by a guy at work they will make it ride smoother and extra power?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people are going to tell you that the stock rockers are the best for you. Power gains will be minimal at best. The stockers are light on the nose where many aftermarkets are not.

Don't think they will make the valvetrain any quieter either.

The main reason I would go with aftermarkets in your situation is to ensure the stock ones don't come apart and spill the needle bearings. Some folks have had this prob, but I don't think it is a widespread problem. You can send your stockers off to Harland Sharp and they will rebuild them so they can't spill the bearings.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now i found some rust build up underneath the head of the bolt for the rockers. is this a concern at all I would imagine its normal.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't worry about that, clean em up, put some loctite on and install to 22 ft lbs
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your friend is kinda correct, roller rockers can improve power when using a greater ratio roller than stock, 1.7. Also, reduced friction on the valve stem is believed to reduce valve guide wear, (side load is less). Regardless, increased ratio rockers are benefitial to stock & mild cams due to increased valve lift. I'm not of the opinion that a swap to a roller type of the same 1.7 ratio, adds any power. Increased ratio rockers are not for larger cams like yours & actually can reduce power & damage the valve train. So, if you choose to go with roller rockers, stay w/ a 1.7 rocker. I agree w/ bluehawk2, stockers are fine & they could be sent to Harland Sharp for an upgrade if they are a concern. Good-luck