Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TPS Issue

Hey guys I wanted to get some input on an issue I'm having with a high idle.

For some reason at idle my TPS was reading 4% throttle. The blade was not stuck, the throttle cable was not too tight. I had Don (slowhawk) go through the car to tune it and it also helped me with about a half dozen issues including this one.

He tried a different TPS and tried repositioning it nothing completly fixed the issue but he got it from 4% to 3%. He told me to re-do some of the grounds and he said they may be "backfeeding" voltage to the TPS showing a higher voltage (I might be getting the technical explination wrong) I re-did the grounds and pulled the wires out of the harness that go to the TPS to make sure they werent broken or beat up they were good to go. I started the car and now TPS is reading 2%, the lowest its ever read and the idle is down around 850. Still not the 700 it should be but its a whole lot better than the 1100 I started at when it was reading 4%.

I have a ported TB.. I'm wondering if the guy who ported the TB screwed it up and it could be creating the issue.. I am just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if so what did you do to fix it?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Well the lack of response makes me feel better like I'm not missing something easy.

Otherwise the engine seems to run great
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a tps relearn. unplug tps turn ign. on for about 30sec. turn ign.off plug tps back in. check percent on scanner should reset to 0 percent
Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try the re-learn as well. Also have someone monitor the TPS % value while you wiggle the sensors connector and pigtails and see if it changes. My TPS was replaced 2 times, did the re-learn and kept getting the same codes and it still acting up. I checked the TPS and while at idle it was at 100%, but when you wiggled the pigtails, the percentage would fluctuate. Replaced the pigtails/connector and the problem was solved. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

I tried the TPS relearn and it did absolutly nothing.

Suprisingly when the key is at IGN ON my scan gauge reads the TPS at 0%.

When the car first starts and is cold it reads 3% and then as it warms up and I do a few runs it drops down to 2%.

Its a wierd issue.. I tore appart the entire harness though to make sure there were no breaks in it and I patched a couple wires that werent broken but the insulation had been stripped off in a couple sections.. none of these wires had anything to do though with the IAC or TPS.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Found out that as the car warms up the tps will read lower and lower. After about a 20 minute trip around town the TPS was consistently reading 1% but when cold it was reading 3%.. this is just plain odd.

My tuner still thinks its a wiring issue.. but if it is I dont even know what to check at this point.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

I am going to try and reground the TPS individually to the chassis because I think current might be backfeeding through the common ground.

Or my TPS might be dying because now about half the time I'll crank the key and she'll start up and then die. To keep it from dieing I need to keep my foot on the gas and get it to rev a couple times, and then it'll idle fine. Still usually idling high but again, now about half the time it will hunt for idle. Swinging anywhere from 900 and then it will fall down to 500-600, its like I have a cam in the car and then it will settle back into its normal 800rpm idle. Car also seems to buck more if I let it idle in first gear (something it did before I got it tuned, but then went away when I got it tuned, and now its doing it again)

Quick Reply: TPS Issue