Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reusing rings after inspection disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reusing rings after inspection disassembly

I currently have my engine out of the car after a failure of the pilot bearing. I decided to strip it apart and see how she looks. I found #6 rod bearing to be very loose in the rod, not spun but I'm sure it was close as it want's to fall out of the rod and cap as well as being down to the copper on a large portion.

I had Diamond pistons with a stroker crank, originally put together and found the #8 pistons hitting the reluctor wheel. All of the pistons were exactly the same, not notch. So I ground the piston for clearance, taking off significant material. I had already had the rotating assembly balance so I just put it together.

^reason for my disassembly check while it was out was this grinding of #8 pistons and to have the assembly balance redone(should have gone back and did it all over again the first time...) Glad I did considering the #6 rod bearing was toast.

I am now rebalancing the pistons and will have the crank cleaned up and rebalanced. The rods and crank will be checked to find out why the rod bearing was so worn (only one others looked fine).

My question is the pistons/rings and bores look great, car wasn't burning any oil and ran great engine wise. Should I re-use the rings? I can't see a reason why not. Don't really want to hone and put new rings in as the engine has only ~8k miles on it since the stroker build.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are allready replacing or freshining up everything else on the bottom end so I would replace them if it was me.

If you did a leak down check before you pulled it apart then I would most likley use then again.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic
I currently have my engine out of the car after a failure of the pilot bearing. I decided to strip it apart and see how she looks. I found #6 rod bearing to be very loose in the rod, not spun but I'm sure it was close as it want's to fall out of the rod and cap as well as being down to the copper on a large portion.

I had Diamond pistons with a stroker crank, originally put together and found the #8 pistons hitting the reluctor wheel. All of the pistons were exactly the same, not notch. So I ground the piston for clearance, taking off significant material. I had already had the rotating assembly balance so I just put it together.

^reason for my disassembly check while it was out was this grinding of #8 pistons and to have the assembly balance redone(should have gone back and did it all over again the first time...) Glad I did considering the #6 rod bearing was toast.

I am now rebalancing the pistons and will have the crank cleaned up and rebalanced. The rods and crank will be checked to find out why the rod bearing was so worn (only one others looked fine).

My question is the pistons/rings and bores look great, car wasn't burning any oil and ran great engine wise. Should I re-use the rings? I can't see a reason why not. Don't really want to hone and put new rings in as the engine has only ~8k miles on it since the stroker build.

If you Do re use rings Make sure they go back on the same pistons that they came off of and that they end up back in the same hole that they originally came out of...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken them off of the pistons and bagged them, zip-tied together top to bottom, they will be going back on exactly as they came off in the same hole. That one was pretty obvious to me, but thanks for posting it up.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic
I have taken them off of the pistons and bagged them, zip-tied together top to bottom, they will be going back on exactly as they came off in the same hole. That one was pretty obvious to me, but thanks for posting it up.
Hey You never can be to sure so I thought that was the best way to put it. I am sure you can probally reuse them as long as they go back were they came from. Even though you cant see any wear if you looked at them on like a microscopic level You would see each one wearing uniqly to the cylinder they came out of.... Any way Hope it helped. Good luck this time around on the rebuild.

Quick Reply: reusing rings after inspection disassembly