Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That time again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking That time again!!!

Well its tax return time again So i've been doing tons of homework on what set of heads to go with....I have a few different ways to go on this. First idea
is obviously the AFR 205's. Next idea is a set of TSP stage 1 LS6/LS2 heads or their new PRC 215 heads, and lastly to buy a set of assembled LS2 heads from Scoggin-Dickey for an awesome price of $640.00 for the pair and having someone like Lloyd Elliot or one of our sponsors do a velocity style port job with a total flow of 290cfm at .600 lift but more importantly have them ported to bump up the mid-lift flow numbers and have them milled about .20" to bump compression to around 10.8:1 I have a few cam choices that i like. One is a cam that Predator-Z spec'd out for me and it's an aggressive lobe 218/224 .604/.609 113+1 which i would almost bet that this little sucker make the same or even alittle more hp & tq than most " off the shelf cam " with 220 or 222 duration cams Since Predator-Z told me about this cam i got a feeling i would really love this cam The next cam idea is the larger lift version 222/228 114lsa+2 sorry i forgot what the lift numbers are. But i've seen this cam do very well even in cam only setups. And the very very respected AFR 224/228 .581/.588 114lsa+2. Since i gotta live with my SS on a dailey basis i wanna keep the cam in check. So thats my ideas for the head/cam combo.
Since the car will be 99% street use i'm going with a Vig. 3200 with a Transgo -HD shift kit and B&M 19,000GVW tranny cooler. Plus a set of headers from ARH, Dynatechs, or maybe even SLP's new more conventional design headers and i really think i'm going SLP PowerFlo CB with the quad tips.
Now what really need to help me pick the right heads. PLEASE all you guys
running the AFR heads ( since they are by far the most popular heads ) please please help by posting your ET and MPH. You can add your dyno results if u like, but since the right heads are a big investment i would really like to know what times AFR f-bodies are running. I really love the AFR's and i would like to see what times you all are running not just on the dyno. Sorry for the long post but its an important decision, actually one of the most important.
So please be my guest and post up your setup and your times, especially since they are the heads i'm leaning towards. Thanks everyone i appreciate your time for reading this..LOL and posting and a special thanks to Chris (99BlancoSS) for all his help on the phone. Take care all.

Den
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Why am i not too surprised, but i guess i'll plea to the masses and ask again what ET and
MPH do guys run with the popular AFR 205 heads and the AFR 224/228 cam combo?
I realized that not everyone runs the same headers or the fact that some use the FAST intake and TB combo, while others dont, so i'm obviously looking for guys that atleast run the AFR head and AFR 224/228 combo and i hope guys with that combo that run different model headers, catbacks and others bolt ons can chime in too, Any data is good data and helps guys that narrowed their choice down to maybe 2 combos so things like tracks times will give a great idea what head/cam setup is the right choice whether its AFR or whoever but since AFR are more popular they are heads that i'm more interested in their track times So please folks post up, please. Cause i know a boat load of AFR heads have been sold yet when i use search button i find it pretty hard to find guys posting track times...so i hope someone can help. And there's actaully only a handful of AFR combos in the real high 10's to 11.5's. I would really appreciate some input...plus i'm dying to order my Predator-Z spec'd cam Thanks.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of 1/4 mile guys run Trick Flow heads also. May want to talk with a few of them. I have not installed mine yet!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

I actually have PM'd a few guys running the TFS 220cc " as cast " and also a PM'd a few
that run the TFS 215 version...they are alittle costly since you have to buy aftermarket
rockers. Plus the TFS heads haven;t been out since late 2003 like the AFR's, that being said the TFS heads are already quickly becoming the LS premere head, just the cost just a little too steep. And from what i've seen the TFS guys dont seem to be as secretive like AFR guys are....which is strange....the more positive times guys post the more interest people will have which equals more sales.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vsocks1
Lot of 1/4 mile guys run Trick Flow heads also. May want to talk with a few of them. I have not installed mine yet!
What TFS heads did you get? Either way congrats on your purchase. I know you
will fly...everyone i talked to run great times.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
What TFS heads did you get? Either way congrats on your purchase. I know you
will fly...everyone i talked to run great times.
I got CNC TFS 215's from TEA and had them milled to 61cc. They also had a custom comp cam ground for me 232/236 .595/.578 113 +3. Also have FAST 90/90, ATI Pulley, EWP, etc to install this spring! Ran 12.3 before these mods with just ARH headers, CAI, and tune.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Default Joe can get the job done!!

^^Nice combo, congrats on your new setup. Those heads are fast becoming one of the best heads u can get for LSx motors. My buddies and i are throwing around the idea of doing up a trick set of LS2 heads. The guy thats going to help hand port the heads is the same guy that ported my stage 1 241 casting on my '02 WS6 A4 that i sold. His style of porting focuses mostly on maintaining not only a relatively high max cfm but pays major attention on keeping the velocity as high as possible. Starting as early as 1999 and for atleast the next 5 years to follow Joe took total advantage on the killer design that GM did on the 853, 241 and the LS6 's 243 and all Joe really did was just port and reshape the GM heads to add to what GM gave us and Joe just found a style that enhanced and made the GM design even better BUT without removed huge amounts of material just to reach a certain cfm number like alot of other shops were doing. ALot of shops were hogging out the LS head just to sell heads, and it was up to the poor customer to figure why his 300 cfm head and 222/222 114lsa setup was only running bareky in the 11.90's.
While other car with a TR224 cam with stock unported heads were running better times.
Well thats why when i bought my '02 WS6 A4 Joe already knew what design heads we was gonna do for me So me went to work on doing up a trick port design using the heads from my new 2002 WS6 and a Comp 216/220 cam 114lsa+2 and a Viggy 3600 stall. Joe knew i wanted to prove that a full weight WS6 A4 with stock intake runner heads with only the bowl/throat and a small change to the chambers could run deep in the 11's with stock 10-bolt w/3.23's and not a ounce of weight reduction. Well for sure Joe did it...it dynoed 411rwhp with 398rwtq with peak at 6250rpm!! It was a perfect street package. Well those dyno #'s were through an unlocked converter.
Well his idea fir my '02 SS A4 is to trick out a set of LS2 heads that flow around 260 cfm from GM but Joes gonna do his magic velocity style port job, his custom backcut on the stock 2.00" intake valves, having them milled to get 10.8 to 11.0 : 1 compression with the right gaskets and add ARP head studs for good measure. And since i have alot if faith in Predator-Z's cam design skills and i appreciated the 218/224 .604/.609 113lsa+1 cam that he spec'd out for me. Plus some people i talked with totally believe this cam will out hp and tq most of the 224 cams out there including the the AFR 224/228 .581.588 114lsa cam or atleast match it. The 218/224 Comp lobes are LSK on the intake side and the XFI lobe on the exhaust lobe...so its very very aggressive and a good 55 to 60+ rwhp gain even on stock LS1 heads!!! Amazing
Now all the tech stuff have been said my goals are to shoot for hopefully 11.5's or alittle better and somewhere around 118 to 119 mph since i won't have any weight reduction or any gear changes. I think it can be done since the SS is alittle lighter than my WS6 and also the ported LS2 heads should make around 25 rwhp more than my S1 LS1 heads, and the new cam should be worth a mininum of 15 rwhp or more over my old 216/220 cam. Plus the headers, catback and tuning software are worlds better than 7-8 years ago..lol. All that being said my new setup should be good for a good 2.5 to possibly 3 tenths better
Than maybe after i hit that goal i could always have Predator-Z spec me a little bigger cam and maybe hit 11.25 to 11.35

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 02-03-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Well after talking with Joe 2 days ago he told me i need to get back in car modding
game again..lol. He like how good my WS6 A4 ran with literally a mild cleanup up in the
241 heads with untouched ( just lapping them in ) valves. But Joe has found the right
back cut to do on stock LS1 2.00" valves. Despite they only flowed 260-265 cfm maxed out
and only using a 216/220 cam and a Vig. 3600 he was alittle shocked when i tuned my own car then took him for a ride...he got real quiet for a second and said " DAMN " ..lol. He thought i changed to a larger cam or something, which i did not. Since i asked mostly for torquey heads we weren't expecting for anything faster than 11.80 tops. And since i had still had a 3.23 stock rear he liked the car. Well anyway we're looking at mild ported LS2 heads with stock back cut valves and go alittle more aggressive than my S1 LS1 heads that my WS6 had. And i still like the Predator-Z cam he spec'd for me, also a comp 222/228 high lift 114 or 113lsa, and possibly the AFR 224/228 cam and an idea, we'll see.
THEN maybe bolt on my Procharger D1SC kit??? Could be..hehehe
Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vsocks1
I got CNC TFS 215's from TEA and had them milled to 61cc. They also had a custom comp cam ground for me 232/236 .595/.578 113 +3. Also have FAST 90/90, ATI Pulley, EWP, etc to install this spring! Ran 12.3 before these mods with just ARH headers, CAI, and tune.
I wanted just to ask you if ya got any times on the TFS heads....I was looking
hard at then in the fall cause they have a good mix of runner volume and small enough to still promote good air speed to help torque. Thx.

Den
Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U want good heads,email bret bauer or go talk to him over on hardcorels1
Brets T4P 243 head is a work of art
Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

To the OP, I sent you a PM...
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
U want good heads,email bret bauer or go talk to him over on hardcorels1
Brets T4P 243 head is a work of art
Hey Joel...been a while. You got a new SS? How you like it? I took a
6-speed out for a ride awhile back..damn it's a smooth car. Solid frame,
and sweet exhaust when you get on it Thanks for the head tip.
Take care.

Den