Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

go back to synthetic before dyno tune tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go back to synthetic before dyno tune tomorrow?

i put some generic oil in after cam just for the cleaning process...i get tuning tomorrow..should i go synthetic before hand?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: go back to synthetic before dyno tune tomorrow?

Sure, why not?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: go back to synthetic before dyno tune tomorrow?

There is a good reason the factory wants you to run synthetic oil in our cars. It is simple, they chose not to install an oil cooler on the LS1 line. This saves them alot of money when you consider all the LS1's they are putting out. So because of that and the fact that they think the LS1 will have hire oil temps then the old SBC they tell you to run synthetic oil. The synthetic oil can handle hire temps then standard oil can. So instead of you getting a good oil cooler from the factory, you have to buy more expencive oil for the life of your engine. Cost us more in the long run. Slick trick they did to make a bigger profit huh? There are other benifits to synthetic oil but the temp it will handle is the reason you should not run your engine with standard oil. So looking at it like that, most definatly yes, put the synthetic back in it before you dyno the car. Chances are nothing negative will happen but why take the chance? My .02 cents.