Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Harmonic Damper - ATI, Fluidampr?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It was a legitimate question but unfortunately this thread has turned into a joke

I decided to delete my rant because I don't want to perpetuate it.........

ATI UD if you want top of the line and = no worries .............
Rant away - we're all getting in touch with our feelings in here.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sometimes I don't know why I even bother. I sell ATI, ASP, and Powerbond/SLP. I also have access to Fluidampr. I have built, assembled, modded, etc... hundreds of engines and torn down, had fail, and or destroyed a decent number of those to keep me honest... (to learn, in other words...)

A wise man once said, "If you're racing and aren't breaking anything, you're probably not winning because you're not pushing hard enough."

I HAVE seen bearing, timing chain, AND crank failure that COULD DIRECTLY be traced to balancer failure. I will not bash any manufacturer here because the all have their place. I will tell you that I make less margin on an ATI than the others but I still use them on ALL of my high end builds.

This is coming from hundreds of builds, not just my own cars (which by the way both have ATI's...)

end RANT.

Shane
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Wow, sometimes I don't know why I even bother. I sell ATI, ASP, and Powerbond/SLP. I also have access to Fluidampr. I have built, assembled, modded, etc... hundreds of engines and torn down, had fail, and or destroyed a decent number of those to keep me honest... (to learn, in other words...)

A wise man once said, "If you're racing and aren't breaking anything, you're probably not winning because you're not pushing hard enough."

I HAVE seen bearing, timing chain, AND crank failure that COULD DIRECTLY be traced to balancer failure. I will not bash any manufacturer here because the all have their place. I will tell you that I make less margin on an ATI than the others but I still use them on ALL of my high end builds.

This is coming from hundreds of builds, not just my own cars (which by the way both have ATI's...)

end RANT.

Shane
smart guy right there.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also no one has ever heard of a ls crank failure under less than1000 hp
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Im using the ATI superdamper in both my cars. The absolute best. if you look at what all the pro's are using, 95% of the time, it's an ATI superdamper.

BTW, if you are building a high HP LS motor you have to specify to ATI that you want the 66 series rubber.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
Lastly, read the title of this thread again... "BEST HARMONIC DAMPER" not, "Where's the cheapest junk yard I can find to pick up a used old rusted balancer (which isn't even a damper)"

Have a looksie at your bearings. Money has it they're not looking too pretty.
well i just tore it down to install arp rod bolts and ALL the bearings look like new.

sorry no problems yet but i am sure by the end of summer i will have a prob being i plan on turning 7500 plus through the traps .

never know. i will post a few pics of them just for you to make sure i am honest
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

quick346
I think you need to learn some decent grammar before you try to flex your internet *****.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek

quick346
I think you need to learn some decent grammar before you try to flex your internet *****.
as soon as you get it out of youre mouth i will put it away

I am sure you are another one with a $500 balancer that turns a whopping 6200 rpm's at the shift.

nice job prob bought it on a credit card too. LOL

and the reason you posted is?????
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I'm unfortunately unsubscribing from my own thread, but thank you everyone for the insight on ATI vs. Fluidampr. I've decided to go with Fluidampr as I've had success with it in the past on a high-powered SBC. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quick346
as soon as you get it out of youre mouth i will put it away

I am sure you are another one with a $500 balancer that turns a whopping 6200 rpm's at the shift.

nice job prob bought it on a credit card too. LOL

and the reason you posted is?????
To show just how much a kid you really are. WOW, I succeeded. You did learn to use periods though. Good job Skippy.

Now see, when you assume things, really this time you just make an *** out of YOU.

Proceed to tell me what I shift at and how I have a credit card, these internet sticks and stones hurt so much. I have shifted well above your IQ/RPM, so really what else is there to say?

In the end, people like what they like, then you come on here critisizing them for being dumb in your eyes and then start a pissing fest. But get me invovled and try to pull a funny comment out, ill put you in your place.

All those balancers are a good quality, tried and true works the best though.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek
To show just how much a kid you really are. WOW, I succeeded. You did learn to use periods though. Good job Skippy.

Now see, when you assume things, really this time you just make an *** out of YOU.

Proceed to tell me what I shift at and how I have a credit card, these internet sticks and stones hurt so much. I have shifted well above your IQ/RPM, so really what else is there to say?

In the end, people like what they like, then you come on here critisizing them for being dumb in your eyes and then start a pissing fest. But get me invovled and try to pull a funny comment out, ill put you in your place.

All those balancers are a good quality, tried and true works the best though.
no wrong . you got you involved.

and i never said dumb just wasted money.

and you with youre 175 post i doubt spin more rpm's than i

wait i will I caps it just for you.

I don't know i admit that, i have put 38k on my car spinning over 7k rpm's using a stock short block

if anyone needs more than a 30k mile guarentee then drive a v6 or a stock car

sorry i tried to bring to light how strong the stock gm parts are in a performance app

with the economy the way it is i am sure no one cares that you can do more with less

when i build a stroker it will have a ati but while i have a stock short block there is no point

and there is no point in suggesting for peaple to buy a high dollar balencer unless they need it

damn if it is that is hard to get you should not mod youre car leave it stock

and the sticks and stones don't mean nothing but it is easy to tell who know's and who don't .

you have nothing to back up what you say. i just post the fact's

i have been turning a stock short block 7300 plus for a full season with a slp balancer

if you are mad you spent too much and got less don't blame me and if you did run fast youre sig would say 9,10, or 11 sec club witch youres dont

so just like youre name geektec looking in from the outside

make some real power and then come back and argue with me

Last edited by quick346; 02-27-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^^ I like this guy, go fast for cheap!! and dont buy expensive parts just cause they say their parts are the ****.

only way to find out how well parts are is to put them to the test, the acctual test of driving the car.

im not going to sit here and knock quick346, if hes running 9s with a stock shortblock, he probably knows some ****. if he saved 300 bucks in an area like a damper, thats 300 bucks in parts to use else where.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quick346
replied to youre rant.

check it out.

you should aslo change youre spelling to

geektech

becuase you have no clue

have a great weekend
mike
He thinks he is funny. I thought i would share. Like i said...childish. And he STILL doesnt use complete sentences, periods or correct structure, but at least he knows my name now. Witty retort...

NOW not only are you famous, you are infamous. Everyone watch out for PM flamebombs
Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm, I just found a ATI harmonic balancer for 100 bucks, is this a wise deal? I don't want to worry about any internal problems and I'm trying to get a decent amount of power out of it (5-10rwhp and ill be happy) I don't know if its a 10% or a 25% is there a way to tell? Its used. Also heard the 10% does better anyway, is this true? Sorry for the billion questions!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, 10% will provide better damping characteristics. If its $100, grab it. Not sure if you realize that they are 100% rebuildable so you can send it to ATI for a rebuild if you need to later.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

100 bucks is a hard deal to pass up. doesnt sound like an ls1 pulley to me. maybe an old small block unit or something.
double check and buyer beware, but they are rebuildable.
youll know if its 10 or 25% by the diameter. the 25% is TINY. 6-6 1/4 inch
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

No its an ls1 pulley, it came off a trans am, its used.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Whats ATI want for a rebuild? Just curious.

Oh and I have the AI as I have to run it with the procharger setup. I probably would have bought an ATI anyway though, anything that can help keep my money pit from going BOOM is money well invested in my opinion, and heck, I lost $300 at the boat the other night so better a nice damper then throwing it away lol.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure of the cost, they have a rebuild schedule depending on how you use the car. All out racing is obviously much shorter, street is something like 10 years.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Just bought it tonight and will hopefully start the install tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Best Harmonic Damper - ATI, Fluidampr?