Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melling oils pumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default melling oils pumps

hi guys , i have melling performance oil pump installed in my car and i think this is bad pump , how about yours guys ? are those pumps is good ? i think GM is better than those , question for who have melling performance oil pump installed in their cars : how its works with yours ? how much is your oil pressure with this pumps ? because i'm doupt with this pump and planning to swap it , about the pressure mine when cold 60PSI , warm 20-30PSI , finally thanks

Sincerely, Mohammed.

Last edited by PONTIAC SLP; 02-25-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Banned

Marhaba Mohammed, Keifuk?

What temps are you driving around in to get down to the 20-30psi? What oil are you running? Thickness?

If the oil is too thin, that might be the cause of the low oil pressure. What Melling pump did you install? I doubt its the pump, melling makes quality pumps. How many miles are on the pump?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

call up melling and tell them what pump you have they should be able to help you out.....some of there pumps run lower oil pressure for some reason....i ran into the same problem with mine idling around 25 to 30 and 45 at wot after driving it for about 20 minutes or so.....thats with 15w40 rotella
Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
Marhaba Mohammed, Keifuk?

What temps are you driving around in to get down to the 20-30psi? What oil are you running? Thickness?

If the oil is too thin, that might be the cause of the low oil pressure. What Melling pump did you install? I doubt its the pump, melling makes quality pumps. How many miles are on the pump?
marhaba tamam tmam= fine :p

i'm running in cold temperature , my oil is visco 3000 , is this oil thin?
how about those oils ? , i installed melling performance part # MEL10296 , it's new pump purchased about few months , i think 1000-2000mile ,
Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RagnZ
call up melling and tell them what pump you have they should be able to help you out.....some of there pumps run lower oil pressure for some reason....i ran into the same problem with mine idling around 25 to 30 and 45 at wot after driving it for about 20 minutes or so.....thats with 15w40 rotella
is this problem until now ? i don't know what should i do swapping the pump or changing oil and filter
Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pumps don`t create pressure they flow.
It is flow against resistance that creates pressure.
Lower pressure = less resistance.
Higher pressure = more resistance.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could always be a pinched o-ring from the pump install. Usually this is the culprit. Just for comparison I run Castrol 10w30 year round & I have 60+psi at WOT & 40 warm idle. If I drive while it's cold it'll go up past 80psi if I go to high in the rpm's before the oil warms up.

I have seen alot of people have this issue & it's normally that damn o-ring. So if you have time to pull the pan & check that I would before swapping pumps.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
It could always be a pinched o-ring from the pump install. Usually this is the culprit. Just for comparison I run Castrol 10w30 year round & I have 60+psi at WOT & 40 warm idle. If I drive while it's cold it'll go up past 80psi if I go to high in the rpm's before the oil warms up.

I have seen alot of people have this issue & it's normally that damn o-ring. So if you have time to pull the pan & check that I would before swapping pumps.
^^^^^I'm with Big Mike on this one. It is VERY easy to pnch that o-ring on install. Just get a new one and see what happens. I know what a PIA

BTW most feel the Melling is a better piece than a GM and the 296 you got is the hi volume version that flows 18% more than OEM. I run the same pump.

What kind of pressure were you running before the swap and did any other mods go on at the same time?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

^^^ the 10296 is a high volume & high pressure. I just installed one in mine and cold idle is 60 psi and warm is around 45. As stated above they are good pumps. If its been good up until now I wouldnt suspect the o ring just wiggled out unless the bolt has maybe backed out a little. What kind of oil filter do you run and when was it last changed? I used to run k&n and it was actually such a good filter it clogged itself easily. Would start out with good oil pressure and it would drop. And that might not be the problem but I would start with the easiest thing first. No point in dropping the pan and it end up being the filter. If its not that than check the o ring and so on. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil temps? Can you monitor it?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kkslds
^^^ the 10296 is a high volume & high pressure. I just installed one in mine and cold idle is 60 psi and warm is around 45. As stated above they are good pumps. If its been good up until now I wouldnt suspect the o ring just wiggled out unless the bolt has maybe backed out a little. What kind of oil filter do you run and when was it last changed? I used to run k&n and it was actually such a good filter it clogged itself easily. Would start out with good oil pressure and it would drop. And that might not be the problem but I would start with the easiest thing first. No point in dropping the pan and it end up being the filter. If its not that than check the o ring and so on. Good luck.
God I hate K&N stuff. I only run PureOne filters on my car. Had a K&N do exactly what your talkin about it have never used another one since. Even took my K&N air filter out & put a stock paper back in. Hell I remove it completely at the track anyway, LOL.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm i run K&N filter on all 4 of my vehicles and never had them clog. They hold pressure much longer than Mobile 1 filters (throughout the oils life) bya good bit. The K&N maintains about 5psi higher oil pressure on both my LS1 and LT1 halfway through the oils life.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

What spring are you running. The red spring that comes installed in the 296 pump is the high pressure spring and the blue spring is a lower pressure
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

God I hate K&N stuff. I only run PureOne filters on my car. Had a K&N do exactly what your talkin about it have never used another one since. Even took my K&N air filter out & put a stock paper back in. Hell I remove it completely at the track anyway, LOL.

Quick Reply: melling oils pumps