Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone use the comp cams renegade lobes yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: anyone use the comp cams renegade lobes yet?

the cool thing is this is another TEA first!

TEA first to market with dual springs not needing to modify the rockers
TEA first to sell and affordable great flowing on site CNC ls1 head.
TEA first to use the (hammer) andy cam!
TEA first to try the the Renegade lobes on an ls-1
Life is good when your first!

Yep, TEA is top notch, IMO. It's good to see people still giving Andy credit on the the cam
Old 10-23-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

"They were designed (by Ed C.) for strict mustang 5.0 racing classes a few years ago."

Incorrect, they were not.

Really? How would you know which lobes were developed and built per my request and which ones weren't?
BTW when we tested some of his stuff it floated the valves 1000 rpm's sooner then the cam we were using.

If you're talking about the testing Mark Daniel did, why didn't you mention the fact he had a cracked block? Nothing too seriously wrong with that particular engine other than not being able to maintain oil pressure, huh? Maybe check the facts with your customers before you spread more lies!

Flame all you want but the truth should (and will) be known.

You'll also be happy to know that "exact" camshaft was installed into another P/S car for testing and it went flawlessly over 7800 rpm to a 10.70 pass.

Guess facts are stranger than fiction Brian.
"Hmmmmm..... Why would TEA recommend a cam with .580 max lift?"

Because if we can get our power adder 306 cu in cars to run 8 sec ET's with 1.6 rockers and .550 lift then these will make the power with a good head, and since H82BBAD and me have both broken springs on cams of more then .580" lift then you can understand why we would reccomend these.

Power adder comparisons are useless. The ET and speed is more based on the CHOICE of power adder rather than the cylinder head work. Did you forget when Murillo cracked a highly ported TFS head and bolted on a STOCK TFS head and went just as fast?

What is more important is what happens with a naturally aspirated combination. That is more of a basis for a test than a forced induction engine.

Please tell us how the TEA sponsored car of Mark Daniel is doing with those 205 cc TW heads of yours. He's in all of your ads as a player in NMRA. What was his best ET and MPH in competition? We're running 10.60's at 127 with a set of 182cc/288 cfm TW heads.

As for broken spring issues, chosing the correct componants will not do that. No one spring is immune to failure but the proper choices are exponetionally more reliable.

There's been a lot of junk (imported) parts being sold out there so the quality of the piece is another factor to consider.

Another problem is a lot of cylinder head shops do not consider the overall valvetrain package when the finish up the heads. There's more to it than just the porting.

I've seen some supposed "top shops" using shims on top of hardened spring cups just to get a certain spring to work. This is one of many poor practices I have seen done. It's NFG if you want things to last.

Bottomline, when using the correct spring assembly, .600"+ lift camshaft profiles are NOT a problem.
"I've seen a cam grinder work and anybody that has seen a cam "master" (the template that the cams are based on) knows that you cannot just change from a 55mm core (LS1) to a Ford joud journal without changing the cam specs"

Correct, it will change the duration a degree or two

Actually, if you know how to do it, you can get nearly anything you want. In any increment you want. I do it all the time.
"They are designed purely for a drag race setup and will have a short life span with street car parts."

This is incorrect, these are not the square lobe stuff like NHRA stockers run

Though they are not the NHRA lobes, they are not as street friendly as some of the BBC and SBC lobes that can be used on the Fords. I can explain the basic math on this for you if you can't do it.

Shaun can give you examples where the Comp Extreme lobes mated to the wrong spring package caused a series of valvetrain issues. A few of his local buddies were having issues with another shop's custom cams. Once he had installed the proper springs in the heads, the valvetrain issues went away. Again, it's a matter of matched valvetrain that makes the difference.
These are slower ramp speed cams that will make more RPM without floating the valves. They are easier on parts then the XE-R lobes.

Why not just switch to the XR lobes or another camshaft company?

Valvetrain issues depend a lot on the overall valvetrain weight. Hollow stem valves are quite a bit lighter and thus can go higher with more aggressive lobes. It's more of the "package" than the one part.
I have Fords with factory lifters that go 8000 RPM with stainless valves.

A few people do this too but VERY few make power up there to make it worth the wear and tear to run it up that high. Check with a few NMRA P/S racers that have seen the tail end of the "Evil Twin" when it gets ito the higher gears. There's a big difference between revving that high and making power up there. I can get my customers both!
Hope this helps and please no flaming, every post I reply to gets locked. Lets keep the tech in LS1tech.

Sounds like a plan.... so stop with the flaming, especially when you fail to provide all the facts. If you insist on continuing it, then Lou G. won't be the only getting in your face.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Curtis; 10-24-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

the cool thing is this is another TEA first!

TEA first to market with dual springs not needing to modify the rockers
TEA first to sell and affordable great flowing on site CNC ls1 head.
TEA first to use the (hammer) andy cam!
TEA first to try the the Renegade lobes on an ls-1
Life is good when your first!

Did you get my PM?