Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by RoDan
Ouch man, I hope it ends up being something simple. It sounds like it very well might be something in the valve train. I would pull the covers and take a peek, you might get lucky. If not, obviously it is going to be in the bottom end, which means motor needs to come on out. First though, grab a long screwdriver, and with the car running, put the handle to your ear and move the tip around on the engine accessories, valve covers, block, etc. until you can pinpoint the location of the sound.

It could be, and call me crazy, the bearing in your alternator. I have heard one go out and sound kind of goofy but not as distinct of a knock like yours. It is just too hard to tell on a video.

Not a bad idea to check the oil more often though. I try to check mine as often as every other tank, but I get lazy. What doesn't help is my low oil light is broken, and is always on and it isn't the sensor or anything, just something up with that input on the ecm I guess.

I pulled the cover on the noisy side and i cant see anything out of the ordinary.. i was hoping for a broken spring or some kind of pushrod problem.. unfortunately i dont see anything.. might have to rip it out =[
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to ask a Captain obvious question. Have you topped off the oil and started it back up?

We have a 2007 Suburban at work that had been run low on oil 4 times before the motor went completely south.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one of those studs on my comp pro mag rockers back off and it sounded like that scared the **** out of me though
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I'm going to ask a Captain obvious question. Have you topped off the oil and started it back up?

We have a 2007 Suburban at work that had been run low on oil 4 times before the motor went completely south.
topped it off and drove it about 1.2 miles back to my house where its sitting awaiting fixing
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
I had one of those studs on my comp pro mag rockers back off and it sounded like that scared the **** out of me though
what should i look for if thats the case?... i just took off the valve cover from the passenger side where the noise was coming from
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a low oil problem for a short while. Wasn't burning it, and I didn't have any puddles under the car. I put the car on the lift and found out what it was. Turned out that the oil filter had backed off just enough to lose oil through that seal while the oil was under pressure (engine running). Thats why I never saw any puddles. I was losing it while I was rollin. Stupid little things like that cost us engines.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

I listened to you video, doesn't sound good at all.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I listened to you video, doesn't sound good at all.
yeah im pretty pissed... just need to find out what i need to do.. before i rip out the engine of course
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've already told you man, drain the oil and look at the magnet. That will tell the tale! Have you not already done this?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DGraboyes
what should i look for if thats the case?... i just took off the valve cover from the passenger side where the noise was coming from
Check the valvetrain see if any of the rocker bolts are loose look for the obvious and drain the oil! If your bottom end came apart you will see somthing
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bjamick
I've already told you man, drain the oil and look at the magnet. That will tell the tale! Have you not already done this?
Pull off the oil filter and cut it open while you are at it.

My corvette's oil pressure was fine when it had spun a bearing.

Your video sounds more like an obnoxious tap than a rod knock, at least to me. It sounds like a lifter or 5 have taken a ****. Do you have any CELs or misfire codes? Did you pull the valve cover off of the other side? Have you tried running the engine and pulling off one spark plug wire at a time to see if the noise changes?

And like bjamick said...for god's sake, drain the oil already and tell us what you find. Start with the simple diagnostic stuff first...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, check that valvetrain!! sounds like a crap in it..
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

spun bearing in mine and there was 0 oil pressure instantly.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a rod bearing to me. Drain the oil, check the magnet on the plug and cut the filter open. If you find copper colored particles in the filter it's definitely a bearing. When the #2 rod bearing spun in my 416 at 1700 miles I didn't lose oil pressure, and it made the same noise that yours is making.
Good luck and hope everything works out. Here are a couple of pics of what I found in my oil filter:

Jimbo

Last edited by Jimbo'sZO6; 03-26-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

man that sounds terrible.. id check everything in your top end first before goin and pulling it out to find you didnt need to for something but it kinda sounds like your gonna have to.. id pull all the push rods make sure none were bent also.. i had a bent push rod and none of the rockers were loose so i didnt know what it was.. turned out that i had a MAJOR bent pushrod and ended up a lifter soon after so check that second after you drain your oil.. get a real clean drain pan or bucket and drain it into that and see if you have a bunch of metal in it!! thats what id do!!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
DGraboyes

i pulled the pushrods and lifters.. 2 pushrods may be bent but its the slightest bit and wouldnt make that much noise... the oil was black as night but there wasnt that much metal in it.. the plug itself had about an 1/8 of an inch of shavings on it and i cut the oil filter open and it didnt seem like much was in there either.. copper or not

im thinking its a rod bearing and i just caught it so early there wasnt much damage.. but thats me being optimistic.. any other checks i can do on the top end before i start looking for another engine?

thanks again guys for the help
Old 03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

where's the video? It's not coming up on pg.1.....?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
where's the video? It's not coming up on pg.1.....?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqrF7mMhh4
Old 03-27-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

sounds totally like rod knock to me... Mine sounded the same exact way...
Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

you got the heads off it too?? if so you can more than likley tell which cylinder it is if it is a rod knock by looking at the top of the pistons.. they will have a clean spot where it had been hittin the head if you get what i mean..

Quick Reply: KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!