Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke my forged crank in half..... pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
lol yeah... it was literally flopping around in there.

man this thread has 1800 views already..... pretty sure i need my title changed to unluckiest person on earth lol.
Negative, I most certainly have you beat. My engine blew chunks out of the block and oil pan when I went to start it. It never even started. I just stuck the key in, turned it, and clunk, clunk, boom it blew. I also victim of the most random ownage via SSU and my old teacher.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! Sorry about the damage, but thanks for the great carnage pics. I've used Eagle strokers cranks twice and they held up very well...
Old 04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

wow, sorry to hear
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Actually the crank probably broke, then the pin lost its oil. Also it is possible for the crank to still spin, even though it snapped (because the main bearings hold it together), so it obviously cooked itself on shut down atleast.

Another point is that the location of this failure is at the highest stressed portion of the crank, its near the flywheel. 100% of the torque from the engine goes through Pin 4! So it took a beating and we found the weak link in the Pin 4 fillet.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KennethS
Actually the crank probably broke, then the pin lost its oil. Also it is possible for the crank to still spin, even though it snapped (because the main bearings hold it together), so it obviously cooked itself on shut down atleast.

Another point is that the location of this failure is at the highest stressed portion of the crank, its near the flywheel. 100% of the torque from the engine goes through Pin 4! So it took a beating and we found the weak link in the Pin 4 fillet.
the crank was definately still spinning as it was knocking like a **** when i shut it down... the sound of a piston smacking my head from the crank wobbling was not a good sound to say the least.

the failure is not towards the back of the motor, its right in the front. Cylidners 1 and 2 are the ones that are free floating the crank.

the more i think about this the more i realize how lucky i got... the timing chain is attached to the part of crank that broke off.... which means i could have smacked some valves VERY easily, especially with my fairly large cam.

Quick Reply: Broke my forged crank in half..... pics inside