Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help lifter is f*#ck take a look

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help lifter is f*#ck take a look

The story line is a 99 firebird witha g5x3 cam only car. My wife was just cruising when it starting ticking. I towed it home and see the rocker arm is got lots of play like a collapsed lifter. I pull the head tonight and find the lifter is screwed. Half the roller tip is missing! I pull the lifter next to it and both cam lobes look the same. I do need to rotate the engine and see if the entire cam lobe is ok. I guess I'm looking for scaring on the cam? I will also pull the valley cover and see if I can find the rest of the lifter roller. Take a look at the pic below. Engine has 100k and cam swap m,aybe 10K Car has always had mobil 1 and very well maintaned. It ran for about 10 minutes before she called me and turned it of. If I have to pull this motor its gone and I will never work on a 4th gen again this engine bay sucks!!
Attached Thumbnails need some help lifter is f*#ck take a look-lifter.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls1 or ls7 lifter ?

look at the lobe where you took the lifter out off. if the cam has discoloration (sort of like a rainbow) or the cam lobe has deep score marks you would have to get a new cam.

if it was me i would not start putting the motor back until you have found the other piece of the lifter.

and don't worry about the 4 jen engine bay, you will get used to it. it is a small price to pay for having the engine in the proper place.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

also have you measured your pushrod length before you have installed the new cam ?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I bought the car from a friend. Rapid motorsports did the cam swap/tune 4 years ago.

The cam lobe looks a little less shiny when compared to the lobe next to it. I thnk the cam is junk.

I guess I will drain the oil and pull the valley cover and see if I can find it.

I hope the cam has some numbers on it so I can replace it with same model g5x3 cam since there is a few variations of it.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is a stock LS1 lifter, and pulling the valley pan will not mean anything, you cannot see the lifters. Oil pan needs to come off.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by elias_799
ls1 or ls7 lifter ?

look at the lobe where you took the lifter out off. if the cam has discoloration (sort of like a rainbow) or the cam lobe has deep score marks you would have to get a new cam.

if it was me i would not start putting the motor back until you have found the other piece of the lifter.

and don't worry about the 4 jen engine bay, you will get used to it. it is a small price to pay for having the engine in the proper place.
If you've ever seen an LS7 lifter you'd know that the lifter in the pics is not one. Its very distinct in the fact it has a larger bearing surface. So large it makes it easy to identify. And to post up about the pic of that lifter and the cam not being fucked up...is another internet mechanic. You know damn well the cam is FUCKED!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67rsss
That is a stock LS1 lifter, and pulling the valley pan will not mean anything, you cannot see the lifters. Oil pan needs to come off.
Lifters come out from under neath the heads. Pull the heads and the oil pan.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last but not least...if the lifter looks like that, chances are it spun inside the block which means the lifter cup could be damaged as well as you need the lifter bores bored for either larger lifters or bushings installed to reuse stock style lifters. Do not go through with assembly with you taking a bore gauge and taking several measurements at diff loc's in the lifter bores to ensure roundness. Lifter trays are ~20 bucks. Machine work though is a different story.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttiroc
I bought the car from a friend. Rapid motorsports did the cam swap/tune 4 years ago.

The cam lobe looks a little less shiny when compared to the lobe next to it. I thnk the cam is junk.

I guess I will drain the oil and pull the valley cover and see if I can find it.

I hope the cam has some numbers on it so I can replace it with same model g5x3 cam since there is a few variations of it.
If its anywhere man, its in the oil pan.

The valley cover wont let you see the lifters like a gen 1 SBC/BBC...they're under the heads like V6 Bird said.

To me the way that lifter looks, it was ran for a little while after it started making noise (hence that roller chewed through) and im sure the cam is now a cool looking paper weight.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Lifters come out from under neath the heads. Pull the heads and the oil pan.
No ****. If he showed us a pic of the lifter, he already pulled the head.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67rsss
No ****. If he showed us a pic of the lifter, he already pulled the head.
LOL I was irritated at the " is that a LS7 lifter " and wasnt looking at the complete pic at the time that yes, the heads were already off..HAHHA
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From past reviews the most likely scenarios are:

1- Bad cam (softer than needed lobes) Comp cam and Cammotion had issues before.
2- Lifter twisted in the holding cups (common issue with nasty results), change your cups.
3- Lifter collapsing,
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am voting on the lifter twisting...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
If you've ever seen an LS7 lifter you'd know that the lifter in the pics is not one. Its very distinct in the fact it has a larger bearing surface. So large it makes it easy to identify. And to post up about the pic of that lifter and the cam not being fucked up...is another internet mechanic. You know damn well the cam is FUCKED!
sry man i did not spend all day studying my ls7 lifters.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I can hear it now......

officer all I remember is catching a quick glimmer from the streetlight reflecting off the shiny metallic object in the dark night as the object tumbled through the still night air. Right before the object struck my forehead I distinctly recall seeing a larger bearing surface thus leading me to know that I had been taken down by the elusive LS7 lifter bandit....
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, the fully skirted body is much more noticable. Not how exposed the LS1 lifter is. I also agree that the cam needs to come out. You really will want to have it inspected, but it is most likely toast.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

My point was, you dont have to. One glimpse over the lifter and you will know what you are looking at as far as GM revisions go.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

you got to be ******* kidding me man. you are making a big deal out of nothing. i never stated that it is an ls1 lifter or an ls7, i was just asking if it was or not. instead of telling me that, yea this is not an ls7 lifter because it is not fully skirted or whatever, you come out like an *******, i could understand it i was stating that it was an ls7 lifter and pointing the guy in the wrong direction, but i haven't all i did was ask a ******* question.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Teching In

dude everyone needs to calm down, looks like some internet tough guys. You can always tell who the little man syndrome typers are. I never said the lifter was a ls7 and I pulled the head to get the lifter out so I think I figured that part out. The cam is toast I was just hoping it would be ok. I drained the oil and found the rest of the lifter tip. My plan is to replace the trays with ls2 trays check the lifter bore and replace cam/lifters.

I hope that lifter bore is ok
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Camshaft out of a 2006 LS2 GTO. I also have a TSP MS3 but I had a lifter collapse on it also. Wasnt near as bad as yours my pushrod just went through the top so Im pretty sure the cam is still good but I havent got it checked out yet. Let me know if you want it. $200 + Shipping