Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Build up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Build up

okay here we go,
First I'd like to say hello to everyone here as I am new to the site and new to all this LSx engine gooroo, I was prevously a Ford Mustang man, but because of a new family on the way I had to get rid of the last stang... I needed something to call my own again, so I bought an old BMW e30 2dr.(have had a few before, so i am familar with them). I bought a 5.3 engine from a guy at work and I plan to build up and install in this little BMW, Ive been planning for a while and I have a fully built 302 there but I want a little more power out of it, lets say 400hp at the crank. Here is where ls1 tech comes in, I need your knowledge on this stuff. I know I can bore out the 5.3 to a 5.7 but here can I get some cheap pistons and rods, dont need anything fancy, all the motor needs a good cam and bigger valves right? also can I bolt up a t5 to it or do i need a t56? is it cheaper to go with carb or fuel injection (i dont have either at this time) i am starting to do some research on it but if any of you can help that will be awsome. thanks again....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use stock internals from a 5.7 LS1, crank, rods, and pistons. Go with the ZO6 cam and springs and a LS6 intake. Should put you at your goals. I would go with the T56 if I were you the 6 speed is great. I am not sure the T5 will work. Good luck with your build.