Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam 11:1 LQ4 vs RB26DETT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1 just crashed in my z-28 how do the 370ci LQ4 engines feel with ls6 heads and cam compared to a cammed ls1 . Big difference or No ? I too plan on running 11:1 compression. Im just curious on how those engines do in f-bodies ?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Y2KblueZ-28
LS1 just crashed in my z-28 how do the 370ci LQ4 engines feel with ls6 heads and cam compared to a cammed ls1 . Big difference or No ? I too plan on running 11:1 compression. Im just curious on how those engines do in f-bodies ?
The torque is much better at lower rpms and it can handle larger cams that would otherwise sound "too radical" on a stock cubic inch LS1. An MS3 cam (237/242) in a 370 LQ4 with 11:1 compression would sound like a TR228 cam (228/228) in a stock displacement LS6...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eikon
I'm a Nissan guy...

I just sold my car with an RB20det in it. So, I'm familiar with the RB motor series. I have a local buddy with a very Nasty RB26 swap. Making 800whp but limited because the head studs are starting to lift... The next option in the lineup costs more than $1000 for a set of stupid head studs.. Since the hp at that point is all gratuitous anyhow, he decided to quit.

Your dragrace between an RB26 powered S13 and your LQ4 corvette won't happen anytime soon if he's just getting his motor this weekend.. I can almost promise it'll take him at least 2 months to get it installed and work out the details. They are very difficult to swap and wire and tune. It's very expensive and difficult to source parts, and they are a pain in the neck to maintain.

As for who will win... Depends entirely on traction. The S13 with an RB swap should weigh in at about 2800lbs or less. In an S chassis, anything over 300whp will just roast the tires, so he better have some slicks and some serious drivetrain and suspension mods to hook up.

As for which is the better motor.. I think the RB26 is hands down the better motor. It's rock solid, makes 800+ hp with enough boost out of a 2.6L, has some incredible technology, etc... But it's expensive, very expensive to modify, hard to swap, and it's only 2.6L.

Having said that... I own a LQ4 now that I'll be swapping into an S14 in the near future. I can't resist the idea of 500whp N/A for dirt cheap. So we'll see how my impressions of the LQ4 go as I get closer.

btw.. the comments about "punching him in the face" don't help the stereotypes about "domestic" guys.
Its great that someone from the "eastern" crowd can chime it a little bit and keep it all respectful. I've also been hearing the same thing about those swaps that the LS and LQ motors are so much easier to swap into a 240SX than an RB motor is. I guess to each's own, although some people like this kid are just so much more passionate about brand loyalty and engine swap purism that it can actually end up getting ugly.

From what I can foresee, I really don't think that this kid is all that serious because if he actually heard what a high compression cammed LS/LQ motor sounded like up close, it would probably be a bit intimidating to him...

Of course he's gonna talk about my car again and say something along the lines, "Oh automatics are slow." Not a good enough defense mechanism there, buddy!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

He was talking trash again to one of my friends so I sent him this nasty myspace email:

Bring it on liar boy! In a race, I would completely own your garbage rides! Can back up what you so claim you have? If you do, I will leave you alone. But anyways, I'm certain you don't have a 550 hp junk *** Civic nor some POS 240SX with a supposed RB26DETT. If you do, its probably a blown up, seized up boat anchor dog pile headed for the scrap yard. That Civic you drove to Florida was also a rigged up piece of crap with a stock SOHC motor! What a weak POS! That thing only had about 90 hp not 190 hp you liar! I'm sure every stock Intergra Type-R could whoop up on that mess of a Civic. Now if you actually can back up what you have and take pics and/or have video footage of YOUR OWN STUFF, not other peoples' cars, I will shut up. FWIW, I also have to inform you that the internet is laughing at you. This beef was started a long time ago. What ya gonna do about it?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-inter
nal-engine/1122262-heads-cam-11-1-lq4-vs-rb26dett.htm
l
Notice I haven't even used any swear words yet...

Last edited by pdbq; 08-31-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eikon

As for which is the better motor.. I think the RB26 is hands down the better motor. It's rock solid, makes 800+ hp with enough boost out of a 2.6L, has some incredible technology, etc... But it's expensive, very expensive to modify, hard to swap, and it's only 2.6L.
Not to start another argument but how is the RB26 a better motor than a LS motor. I'm just talking motor not motor plus monster turbo. How much HP can a N/A RB motor make on pump gas? Probably not much more than a completly stock LS1 if even that much.

If you want to see what LS motors do check out the FI section and LS motors make unlimited amount of power with all forged internal and a safe 1000rwhp with a stock crank. Plus with LS 800hp vs RB26 800hp, I'll take the LS 800 anytime because of the lowend torque and the faster turbo spool.

That sounds like what the cobra mustang guys say about their cars. There supercharged cars are better than a LS because they can just nose out a victory, but even with just a cam the LS would beat a stock cobra.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

If him and I ever ran against each other, this will probably be the most likely result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5csGQ...layer_embedded

So far, he hasn't responded back to me, but I'm sure he's talking crap about me to all of our friends... I honestly do not think he can back up anything. He is kind of like your average ricer. All talk & show, no go.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell that MF to quit readin forums and do somethin :/
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Not to start another argument but how is the RB26 a better motor than a LS motor. I'm just talking motor not motor plus monster turbo. How much HP can a N/A RB motor make on pump gas? Probably not much more than a completly stock LS1 if even that much.

If you want to see what LS motors do check out the FI section and LS motors make unlimited amount of power with all forged internal and a safe 1000rwhp with a stock crank. Plus with LS 800hp vs RB26 800hp, I'll take the LS 800 anytime because of the lowend torque and the faster turbo spool.

That sounds like what the cobra mustang guys say about their cars. There supercharged cars are better than a LS because they can just nose out a victory, but even with just a cam the LS would beat a stock cobra.
he said it was better than the LQ4. The RB is some impressive technology. A 2.6L engine that produces impressive numbers.

Also it takes a good amount of mods for a LS1 to keep up with a 04 Cobra. Not to mention mod for mod an 04 Cobra outperforms.

I like the LS motors because they dominate the N/A world but LS motors do not compete well against Forced Induction.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny video. owned...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

RB26DETT? The Nissan Skyline RB26DETT? I know a lot of street racers with RB swaps, and none of the keep the twin turbo configuration, the swap them out for a huge single that you don't hear or notice till the race is on... I've seen a RB26 with a 80mm take down a 383 running on two units, but on the contrary, I'm calling but **** on the RB26DETT, he could easily make a SR20 look like the RB cosmetically and bull **** you...punch him in the face
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

here is my races with a local rb26 s14 with a gt40r single turbo, and he is now on race gas making 599rwhp but still cant touch me at the track, he has gone like 11.0 @132, we have yet to run on the street with him on race gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlWz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRO5...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71r7...eature=related
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
here is my races with a local rb26 s14 with a gt40r single turbo, and he is now on race gas making 599rwhp but still cant touch me at the track, he has gone like 11.0 @132, we have yet to run on the street with him on race gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlWz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRO5...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71r7...eature=related
Hahaha! That guy got schooled! Maybe I'm gonna send him these vids...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE:

So this guy still keeps talking trash and more trash. Supposedly he is starting to take it personal each and every time I catch him on one of his lies. I sent him this email and am awaiting his response.

Ok dude, the lies and the trash talking eventually have to come to an end. You have done nothing but trash talk with no back up. Either you have the "supposed cars" or you don't. Period. All you talk about is import cars and import cars and import cars and how "they rule" and are infinitely better than any muscle car. You seem to lie more than Pinocchio. And if you were Pinocchio, your nose would be long enough to reach the moon. You think import cars are the best thing since sliced bread. There is an argument disputes that. So tell me then, why do most people prefer to modify and collect old American made hot rods? Why do more people prefer to put LS1 engines in Nissan 240SXs and other RWD imports over the overrated, overhyped and overpriced RB26DETT? Can you name an import engine that has broken 4s in the quarter mile yet? Can you tell me why American made cars hold more records at all around worldwide track events than foreign cars? Is there are huge collector market for import cars? Probably not. Based on the huge mountain of lies you told me when you were down here, your credibility has been 0 ever since. And no, an LT1 or LS1 intake valve isn't 1.2" in diameter, Mr. know-it-all. And no, your stock sounding, fart pipe equipped trashy Honda Civic hatchback you drove down to Florida with a naturally aspirated SOHC D16 cannot outrun a stock Type-R nor an automatic RSX no matter how good you can drive. So far, all of the stories you tell everyone about your supposed "cars" that you supposedly own are BS until I seem some footage of your crazy fast 500 hp turbo Civic you have and/or the supposed RB26DETT that you will be putting in your S13 or S14 or whatever you have. All you need to do is prove this with many pics and videos of your setups instead of talking trash. Until then, to eachs' own. Until proven otherwise, liars like you aren't worth my time. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Just wax his *** on the track to settle it!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dwfronk
Just wax his *** on the track to settle it!
The dude is all the way up in Maryland. If he comes to my turf with the "supposed car" it definitely will be on. He called me out first, but now he is eating his words. He is actually backing out for once. The poor guy probably has nothing but a four gerbil powered Civic and a 240SX powered by Fred Flintstones technology. I'm thinking all bark, no bite. This is pathetic. I'm kind of disappointed. All I wanted was a friendly race between us but all he is doing now is tucking his tail between his legs and taking everything personal...
Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

I get a kick out of these people that are all about the "talk"...imports are better, turbos are better, NOS NOS NOS NOS!!! These are what I like to call stupid people...they havent realy built anything and when they do they don't learn anything because....they already know everything LOL

I'm a V8 guy, first car was a '80 T/A and I've been in the LS game for a few years now, but there are some import motors that are just insane with big turbos...with big turbos is the key phrase, North American V8's don't need help to make power....Imports do LOL Small motors are for people who can't handle the torque of a American V8 LOL
Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Is there are huge collector market for import cars?
Just to nit pick a little, but yes there is a huge collector market for import cars. You have to take into account the wide range the word "import" covers. Just bustin your chops a bit.

On the flip side, I have swapped RB's and SR's into S13's myself. Never owned one. but many friends do. I'll echo what others have said, the RB swap is a huge PITA with the RB26 being the worst and most expensive. If I was to do a swap in my own car, I'd go with an LSx motor because it'd be cheaper and easier than an RB. Don't even get me started on the Honda crowd.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BAMF
I get a kick out of these people that are all about the "talk"...imports are better, turbos are better, NOS NOS NOS NOS!!! These are what I like to call stupid people...they havent realy built anything and when they do they don't learn anything because....they already know everything LOL

I'm a V8 guy, first car was a '80 T/A and I've been in the LS game for a few years now, but there are some import motors that are just insane with big turbos...with big turbos is the key phrase, North American V8's don't need help to make power....Imports do LOL Small motors are for people who can't handle the torque of a American V8 LOL
you do realizethat there have been people who have buit 500 whp cars with 4 cylinders and all motor right?

And it doesnt matter if they need a turbo or not. It is just as much of a challange to build a 4 cylinder 2L motor, or a 6 cyl 3.5L motor that can handle a big turbo as it is to build a NA 6L V8.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HTX
you do realizethat there have been people who have buit 500 whp cars with 4 cylinders and all motor right?

And it doesnt matter if they need a turbo or not. It is just as much of a challange to build a 4 cylinder 2L motor, or a 6 cyl 3.5L motor that can handle a big turbo as it is to build a NA 6L V8.
We're talking about street cars here. That high power 4 cylinder would probably be using some crazy 15:1 static compression ratio and some 116 octane to get that thing to fire up without any problems. And most of all, that "500 whp 4 cylinder" is more than likely in a 1600 lb full gutted track car with no power before 7k rpms. Good luck making that streetable. If you were even to attempt driving this car on the street you would most likely be getting the same gas mileage as a large gas powered pick up truck or SUV.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dam,

Quick Reply: Heads/cam 11:1 LQ4 vs RB26DETT