Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205's Milled to 62cc

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hay vette 786c you asked for the info and folks who know are telling ya
and you don't want to hear it ... .. whatsup with that ... to do it right you have to have a plan and to use the correct components and pay attention to the details to achieve the goal...to start off your cam is a little small to get there and your GM gaskets are not going to help you either...I run TEA heads that flow the same kind of numbers that the AFR 205 do...I have them milled down to 59 CC and I run a 224/228 .581/588 110+0 cam with the .040 gaskets full bolt ons (LS6 intake)and the car does 452/418 and drives like stock except for the very nice lope at idle...there are no drivability issues to deal with ... I got plenty of info and worked out my plan and paid attention to the details as I put it together and I got to where I wanted...the car gets 27 miles per gallon and is a daily driver ... just got back from its 6th Hot Rod Power Tour in a row and ran like a champ...Just throwing parts at a car will not get you to where you want except by accident...you are wanting to purchase a very high quality set of heads but you want to offset the performance advantage that these heads provide by using other parts that do not work that well with the heads ... you are wasting time and $$$$ and not achieving the goal you set for yourself ... rethink your project and then get on with it..you should not have any trouble selling the cam or the GM gaskets .. then purchase the correct parts and you will be much happier with the results...there is a ton of great information available here on LS1tech but it is not worth much if you do not take advantage of it...good luck with your
project ...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=slt200mph;11778462]Hay vette 786c you asked for the info and folks who know are telling ya
and you don't want to hear it ... .. whatsup with that ... to do it right you have to have a plan and to use the correct components and pay attention to the details to achieve the goal...to start off your cam is a little small to get there and your GM gaskets are not going to help you either...I run TEA heads that flow the same kind of numbers that the AFR 205 do...I have them milled down to 59 CC and I run a 224/228 .581/588 110+0 cam with the .040 gaskets full bolt ons (LS6 intake)and the car does 452/418 and drives like stock except for the very nice lope at idle...there are no drivability issues to deal with ... I got plenty of info and worked out my plan and paid attention to the details as I put it together and I got to where I wanted...the car gets 27 miles per gallon and is a daily driver ... just got back from its 6th Hot Rod Power Tour in a row and ran like a champ...Just throwing parts at a car will not get you to where you want except by accident...you are wanting to purchase a very high quality set of heads but you want to offset the performance advantage that these heads provide by using other parts that do not work that well with the heads ... you are wasting time and $$$$ and not achieving the goal you set for yourself ... rethink your project and then get on with it..you should not have any trouble selling the cam or the GM gaskets .. then purchase the correct parts and you will be much happier with the results...there is a ton of great information available here on LS1tech but it is not worth much if you do not take advantage of it...good luck with your
project ... [/QUO

Quench is still goin to be there weather I use mls gaskets or the ones u guys are talking about. So If I lose 5 rwhp I can make it up in other areas. Dont make me feel bad and say my build is not good. Dyno numbers is one thing and track numbers are another. The cam I have has been proven by other LS1 enthusiasts and is great for street/strip. Thanks anyway
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=corvet786c;11782381]
Originally Posted by slt200mph
[/QUO

Quench is still goin to be there weather I use mls gaskets or the ones u guys are talking about. So If I lose 5 rwhp I can make it up in other areas. Dont make me feel bad and say my build is not good. Dyno numbers is one thing and track numbers are another. The cam I have has been proven by other LS1 enthusiasts and is great for street/strip. Thanks anyway

Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvet786c

Why **** yeah quench will be there, it HAS to be unless your hitting the deck of the head with the piston It's what your quench IS, that gives you the added benefits.

People spend $1200-$1500 on ported FAST setups hoping to gain another 20-25rwhp. And the "5 rwhp" you say you'll, "make it up in other areas". OK.

I'm done trying to help someone that won't help themself. There's people out there that ask for advice, and actually ACCEPT the information instead of turning a deaf ear. Good luck with your setup.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BrianWS6 Thank You for your advice. I appreciate that. I am sure you are right in everything you are saying, People swipe out parts all the time to test out diffrent things. I am sure I will be impressed in what ever I do with this build AFR heads are very efficent in what they do. I can always switch to the cometics for better quench some time, but for now this is what I bought and will use.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The tighter setup will allow the introduction of more timing, it is not really the smal increase in compression but rather what you can do with it. The GM gaskets are great gaskets and very forgiving, but there is a trade-off in using them. As for the cam, I installed what Tony is recommending last fall. It is a nice setup.
Didn't you have a BRE cam?

Quick Reply: AFR 205's Milled to 62cc