Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install done by a local shop... (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install done by a local shop... (PICS)

These are 2 examples of a local shops installs... first one is a LT1 engine... but notice anything wrong?
<For pics of the pistons installed upsidedown please PM or email me and they will be given at free will.>

The following is my personal problems ive had with him...
And I was going to post the rest of the pics of the install from my personal problems (LS1 car)

True duals from the shop

Interior/exterior messed up

Went in origionally for:
Differential upgrade and swap to 3.73s
Cam install and valvetrain
synchros/shift fork replacement
Clutch install
True Duals install

In addition I have 7 other references of FBodies that came out of this shop with similar problems or severe problems... all costing a pretty penny to fix!

Last edited by SSOnYourSix; 11-12-2003 at 12:42 AM.
TECH Resident

Pics of exhaust

Exhaust write up from 2 outside sources... Names also not being disclosed.. these were the problems with the system when I took it elsewhere and attempted to get it repaired before just finally getting it replaced...

*Exhaust rests on rear axle, no suspension travel on passanger side of car, when car hits bump the exhaust smacks into the upper panhard bar causing a clunk and also bends exhaust pipe

*passanger rear brake line pinched between exhaust and rear axle, outer protective layer is damaged and inner is showing wear... possible to burst soon

*exhaust hanger under passanger rear seat supporting midpipe and xpipe has ripped a 2x2 inch hole in the floor board, exhaust hanger was just welded to the floor without any support and the floor board was not strong enough to support it. Exhaust gas capable of leaking into car and also heat may cause fire with the carpet

*rear exhaust hanger weld broken, exhaust just resting on axle

*SLP 3 inch Y-pipe was just cut and used with the new system, the 3 inch to 2.5 inch reduction has about 4 inches of 2.5 inch pipe inside the 3 inch HIGHLY restricting airflow, in addition the reduction welds are leaking badly

*SLP pipes are badly banging against driver floor board

*Mufflers are actually 2.25 inch in and 2.25 inch outlet mufflers, expander used to make it fit the 2.5 inch pipes. Restricting flow.

*Rusting on ALL pipes except for the X-pipe and SLP y-pipe occured because 409 grade stainless was used... it just does not contain 8-10% nickel that quality pipes use. The nickel and chromium added to the stainless is what makes it extremely resistant to rust & corrosion.

*All welds are cracking, leaking or rusting, many have already broken and left small leaks. Leaks can be seen by the black carbon surrounding the welds.

*2.5 inch pipes coming off the 3 inch SLP pipes are not supported by any brackets and are resting on the driveshaft loop causing a rattle. Bracket needed!

Last edited by SSOnYourSix; 11-07-2003 at 01:32 AM.
TECH Resident

Pics of exterior and interior

I didnt have time to get all the pictures last night so heres where most of the money is going to come into repairs... and this stuff should not have even been an issue.

The Above shows all the pictures of problems with the car beyond the exhaust or mechanical problems... they are as follows:

*Paint permanatly damaged due to acid from the swap cooler draining on it and having it bake in the sun for 4-6 weeks. The spots WILL NOT come out of the paint no matter what kind of devices are used, its been through two complete details with buffers and paint cleaners.. still no luck.

*Driver seat, rear driver side seat and carpet are permanatly damaged due to the fact that the windows were left down while the swamp cooler was draining on the car. I have had 2 shops look at the car and the leather is permanatly damaged, as well as the holes in the carpet permanant

*Missing ECU bolts, and on one side the bolt attempted to be used was stripped and broken

*Wrong radiator shroud bolts, the ones used are some random bolt which has literally 1 thread inserted, which causes them to come loose all the time and the radiator to fall out

*two large cuts in the front fender, not scratches, but actual cuts in the urethane which cannot be repaired unless bondo is used

*Front fenders are bent out behind the wheel... while there was previously a small bend in one side, there was NO space in the fenders where as now there is a 3/4 inch gap in both sides from the car being jacked up incorrectly.

* Stops were NOT installed on the B&M shifter making shifts dangerous without the stops installed!

*Front Oil seal leaks BADLY on a 9 month old 2002 LS6 because he either didnt change the seal or the below effected it...

*All oil pan bolts are the standard 10mm bolts EXCEPT for the front two which he removed for the timing cover which are 1 silver 14mm bolt and 1 gold 15mm bolt... MUCH larger than the others so chances are the threads didnt match and an impact spun them in... leak could either be there or at the seal.

*Transmission 3rd gear synchros were all BRAND new, along with an upgraded shift fork... on day 3 of driving the car, the 3rd gear synchro went out (the car had fresh rear end gears so it had NOT been driven hard at all)... and 2 months later the entire tranny locked up with the sound of what sounded like change falling into a bowl when I finally got it out of gear... then the shifter was jammed and would not move. I had to buy a new tranny after that.

This is all for now and I will have more when I can get the car up on a lift! the rest of the problems will come with the transmission pictures. As far as disputing the charges, I did, and he sent a letter to AMEX saying "the car is ALWAYS at the race track and dynos, and is constantly raced" Which made AMEX re-bill us. Truth is the car hasnt been to a track in over a year... and hasnt been running well enough for a dyno pull other than the one that it went to the day after the install... the car made 20 rwhp LESS than when it went in with some pretty heavy mods being done!

Last edited by SSOnYourSix; 11-07-2003 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I say screw the place and tell everyone who it is, so that the douchebags wont have the chance to harm anyone else's precious f-bodies.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

1st Performance in Mesa, AZ
Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy ****, that work is terrible definately spread the word about them being shitty and i'd file an official complaint if you havent already, contact the BBB or something. makes me glad i do my own work.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't read all that stuff but instantly I see the pistons in up side down.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I haven't read all that stuff but instantly I see the pistons in up side down.
Look at the 2 pages of pics up above... they get better
Old 11-07-2003, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay now I read it. Good grief!!!! You can call the office of your states Attorney General. They love to get ahold of businesses doing bad work and/or being sued. They can also tell you if they have been sued before. I don't believe there is truely a BBB. The attorney general is the place to start.

Oh, and the B&M shifter does not need the stops set. If it's the Ripper you are referring to. I know that isn't going to make you feel any better about this. They have ruined your car. I feel like kicking some a$$!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I looked at the other pics. I could just puke for you. It makes me sick!!! I feel bad for you.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
Okay now I read it. Good grief!!!! You can call the office of your states Attorney General. They love to get ahold of businesses doing bad work and/or being sued. They can also tell you if they have been sued before. I don't believe there is truely a BBB. The attorney general is the place to start.

Oh, and the B&M shifter does not need the stops set. If it's the Ripper you are referring to. I know that isn't going to make you feel any better about this. They have ruined your car. I feel like kicking some a$$!!!!
I just got a lil nervous as its a brand new tranny... But if it doesnt need them, then thats just 2 less bolts I have to buy
Old 11-07-2003, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still setting here shaking my head in disbelief. The thing is I know there are several shops out there that just flat don't know what they are doing. It's really sad.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I am going to be sick. I am so sorry this happened to your car. Good luck trying to get everything you can resolved.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those look like the expert welders.....

I would defiently try and get some dollars out of them for all that damage, I can't believe a shop could be that shitty.....
Old 11-07-2003, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
Those look like the expert welders.....

I would defiently try and get some dollars out of them for all that damage, I can't believe a shop could be that shitty.....
well theres currently 9 of us with issues, not counting the guy with the Impala that was getting that 383 with the backwards pistons

Pretty interesting the other 8 problems...

8) engine leaked oil out of the crank seal like mine, took him 4 visits to repair it and had the car for 3 months to do a cam swap, and bearing replacement.... In addition 1st performance spilled battery acid on the guys car which ate his paint, luckily it peeled off on the premesis so he got a new paint job...

7) twin turbo LS1 Z28 - 1st performance put a alcohol injection system on the car... there were problems I wasnt too aware of but I think the main one was where the injection system was drilled, the seal was terrible and created a HUGE boost leak, and in addition something was stolen off the seat

6) 12 bolt gears were setup in a 99 T/A auto car, diff went out 2 months after he got it and the gears howl, chatter, and sound like they are about to blow up, also the car was covered in the same swamp cooler acid mine was

5) 12 bolt gears started making obscene howling after a month on a 2001 Z28, also the car was covered in the same swamp cooler acid mine was

4) 98 28, in for tranny replacement when the real only problem was the speed sensor went out, long story short 1st performance made him get a new tranny and converter, then forced him to get his computer reprogrammed for $600 (by forced I mean they did it without asking), and after muliple returns for the tranny not working I believe he got the old tranny put back in with a new speed sensor and it worked fine, but with a bill for $1600

3) 99 Z28 - went in for a clutch and subframes, left with a cut brake line... the guy didnt find out until he got on the freeway and had NO BRAKES!!! he had more problems im not aware of too but I dont know the whole story so I wont post it

2) 98+ Z28 - got a similar true duals setup to me, same quality... rusty pipes and welds, and in addition 1st performance cut up his new double diamond subframes without asking... he was PISSED about that!

1) 98+ SS, this guys car has been there for like 4 or 5 months... it had the engine pulled and from what I understand hes waiting for a cam or something... but this car has become a donor car for parts! 1st performance broke 2 rockers, 2 rocker bolts, a coolant sensor, and somehow killed my alternator... guess what? I got charged for new parts and they came out of his car! Poor guy just gets all his parts loaned out! And from what I understand more parts were loaned out after but I dont know that story either...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:13 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how are they even still in business . you guys need to get them closed down quick before they **** up anyone else's cars
Old 11-07-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is absolutely INSANE !!! How can a shop be THAT bad?!?!?!!?!
Old 11-07-2003, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

IMMEDIATELY take that car in for a quote for all of the repairs, dont wait! File suit
Old 11-07-2003, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Jesus, Man! What the hell were these guys thinking..or not. Get 'em!

Mike
Old 11-07-2003, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

how do you go about fixing the Q-pannels???