Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine started knocking last night, want to swap in a junkyard 6.0 - Any pitfalls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 05:21 PM
12 Second Club
10 Year Member

Default Engine started knocking last night, want to swap in a junkyard 6.0 - Any pitfalls?

Went to mid michigan motorplex and tested out my new airbag setup, car ran good all night, aside from still having a bit of a tirespin problem. On the last pass of the night, I had a great launch, but my car slowed down 4 MPH for no reason and shut off at the top end of the track. I started it back up and drove back to the pits, packed up and started home. Well, about 5 miles down the road, I take off from a corner pretty hard and as I get to the top of second gear, I lose a ton of power and my engine starts making some nasty noises. Lots of clattering and clunking, finally setting in with a good ol' rod knock. I managed to limp it to a truck stop, then went home and got a Uhaul car hauler to bring it home.

I'm really disappointed. I just dropped like $4500 on a new rear, DS, and clutch, and now my car is sitting AGAIN. So I figured I'd make the best of a bad thing and swap in an iron block 6.0 because I can find them for about $700-$900 at most places. I was just curious if there are any problems with swapping them in, aside from the one alternator bolt hole not being drilled. I plan on swapping all my parts from one shortblock to the other, then selling the extra stuff off the 6.0 to recoup some of the cost. I have a little bigger cam I can stuff in it (228/232), and I'm going to mill my heads to 62 CC to get the compression up around 10.5:1. I figure the increase in power will make up for the extra weight. I cannot afford to do ANYTHING but swap in a junkyard engine, so don't say I need to build a forged 370 or 408. If I could do that, I wouldn't be on here asking about this
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just make sure the junkyard motor has the right reluctor wheel.
Also IIRC 05 and later have shorter head bolts.
No need to drill for alternator bolt, I run a 370 without one, no issues.

Your best bet I think is a 2004 and older motor. All else is a direct swap.
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:26 PM
12 Second Club
10 Year Member

Sweet, that's what I like to hear! Now I just gotta come up with some funds.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering about this to...good deal