Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ms3 and no stall? possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Do you know how much vaccum you were runnin?
Honestly.....No, I don't know. If you are referring to it pushing on the brakes then that is from raising the idle. It is a little high for my me and it can be lowered a couple hundred but the person that tuned it had his **** stolen.....now I need to buy HP Tuners! Idle is ~900 in gear at idle, the cam sounded sick on the stock idle though
Old 06-10-2009, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look slowlsx, basically the logical thing to do is the converter. You might be going through the same thing I was and wanted that cam sound without following the "correct" order of mods. It is up to you but the car WILL run crappy without a tune and stall. It sucked when I put my cam in (228R) because it would buck and shut off on me at lights. However, you never know your car might react well and stay on but if I were you I would just wait on the stall first.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beedo
Honestly.....No, I don't know. If you are referring to it pushing on the brakes then that is from raising the idle. It is a little high for my me and it can be lowered a couple hundred but the person that tuned it had his **** stolen.....now I need to buy HP Tuners! Idle is ~900 in gear at idle, the cam sounded sick on the stock idle though
that is way high for that cam... my car idles at 925-950 once warmed up... i have an ms4.

Originally Posted by ls198
Look slowlsx, basically the logical thing to do is the converter. You might be going through the same thing I was and wanted that cam sound without following the "correct" order of mods. It is up to you but the car WILL run crappy without a tune and stall. It sucked when I put my cam in (228R) because it would buck and shut off on me at lights. However, you never know your car might react well and stay on but if I were you I would just wait on the stall first.
no, you cant say absolutely his car will run like ****.. plenty of people have done it and that not be the case.
your problem with it bucking was either... locking up at too slow of a speed, too low of gears, or a shitty tune..
your problem of dying at red lights, shitty tune.
niether of those have anything to do with the stall. the only one somewhat having a part in it would be the bucking, just depends on where his car locks up at with that.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 AM
Teching In

ok guys yall are missing the point here... simple question can it be driven with an ms3 for a month or so. im putting full bolt on's nitrous kit and have a set of dual valve springs so for 300 bucks i can get a used ms3 and just stick it in there till i get the converter. i see it as im already under the hood so ill just put the cam and save up another 800$ and get a cirlce d in a month or so. im not planning on going to the track with an ms3 and no stall looking like a dumass running low 12's maybe if im lucky, im just going to be driving it till then. it will be tuned by hp tuner's so i think it should be fine im actually evan thinking about going ms4 since i will be putting 4000 circle-d and i already have 410's which made my car come alive, its bone stock with 410's on 315 dr's and goes sideway's from a 30 roll amazed me . thanks for all the replie's
Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by allout5.3
ok guys yall are missing the point here... simple question can it be driven with an ms3 for a month or so. im putting full bolt on's nitrous kit and have a set of dual valve springs so for 300 bucks i can get a used ms3 and just stick it in there till i get the converter. i see it as im already under the hood so ill just put the cam and save up another 800$ and get a cirlce d in a month or so. im not planning on going to the track with an ms3 and no stall looking like a dumass running low 12's maybe if im lucky, im just going to be driving it till then. it will be tuned by hp tuner's so i think it should be fine im actually evan thinking about going ms4 since i will be putting 4000 circle-d and i already have 410's which made my car come alive, its bone stock with 410's on 315 dr's and goes sideway's from a 30 roll amazed me . thanks for all the replie's
you *should be fine, as i have stated..

go ms4, you will thank me...
Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

Smile

i have a pretty good size cam in my car with no stall and it does not buck at stop lights or anything like that. somtimes if its really cold it will die but other than that no problems
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allout5.3
...Dont say I didnt warn you...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Every car reacts differently. You can't definitely say his car will idle and stay on without any kind of slight tuning. My car didn't and my cam wasn't as big as his when it was untuned. Just trying to give you both sides of the spectrum. My tuner adjusted my car so it could idle then when I put in the stall he tuned it, you can do that until you are able to put the stall in. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Idle isnt really the only issue, mine idles awesome. Its the fact the car drives like ****, trust me. Its not all because of no stall its because of no tune. MS3 is a big ******* cam, unless you have experienced driving on one with no tune and no stall you cant really tell this guy it's gonna be fine. You will get from A-to-B but you will hate driving it and it will run so rich you will smell like exhaust.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Teching In

well good thing i tune my own car and have a wideband
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Tell you what.... do it and let us know how you liked it...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Launching!

you are always gonna get some guy who did it but so remember every car is different but like said earlier can it be done? Anything can be done with money but will it be effective no just don't floor it or just wait c'mon patience is a virtue why now u gonna do the rest of the top half or just blow that as well. Brakes gone and rolling through the brakes at a stop light sounds like you might be needing a front bumper to go along with it. Or be pulled over for some loud/smokey exhaust killing everyone around you. Basically you can but gonna be trouble so like Ls1 Silverado stated be the guinea pig and do it then let us all know. I want that cam as well but I am putting my 3200 in then going cam. Get converter then get cam to match converter.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Is this your daily driver or is it a weekend warrior?

Daily driver- definately leave the cam for last!

Weekend warrior- doesnt really matter, yes the car wont run great but its not like you are driving in rush hour traffic day after day
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Wow! I remember seeing a mod path like this. Seen a STOCK 98 Z with MS3, lid, and a catback. Took FOREVER for him to finally get it to run right and even when he did it wouldn't fall out of a tree. All that work for NOTHING.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02ws602wrx
you are always gonna get some guy who did it but so remember every car is different but like said earlier can it be done? Anything can be done with money but will it be effective no just don't floor it or just wait c'mon patience is a virtue why now u gonna do the rest of the top half or just blow that as well. Brakes gone and rolling through the brakes at a stop light sounds like you might be needing a front bumper to go along with it. Or be pulled over for some loud/smokey exhaust killing everyone around you. Basically you can but gonna be trouble so like Ls1 Silverado stated be the guinea pig and do it then let us all know. I want that cam as well but I am putting my 3200 in then going cam. Get converter then get cam to match converter.
a 3200 stall doesnt match an ms3..

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
Wow! I remember seeing a mod path like this. Seen a STOCK 98 Z with MS3, lid, and a catback. Took FOREVER for him to finally get it to run right and even when he did it wouldn't fall out of a tree. All that work for NOTHING.
him not having a stall had nothing to do with him not getting it to run correctly, that was he tune... and it almost always is..

***the op went with an ms4...

Quick Reply: ms3 and no stall? possible?