Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gto pan on ls1, oil pressure issues possibly related to filter bypass or barbell

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto pan on ls1, oil pressure issues possibly related to filter bypass or barbell

OK, I made another thread on the advanced tech forum but the more I think about it the more simple I think the problem is so here's some of the things I need to know...

This particular GTO oil pan has been on my LS1 for 2 major motor issues (bearings ANNIHILATED). During this time period I'm affraid that my remote filter/accusump/oil cooler lines may not have been routed correctly and could've possibly been allowing trash to get through the system. To view my oil pressure symptoms on the new motor please click this thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...ed-advice.html

As mentioned in that thread, I've checked everything within reason since the motor got back from the builder. Now some more things are bothering me. I notice a lot of you f-body (rear sump) guys are mentioning oil filter bypass's were installed on your pans regardless of the fact that most oil filters these days have them built in. On a GTO pan is there a bypass installed? I'm beginning to believe mine may be severely gunked up with trash from the previous motor blowing experiences.

I believe that bottom allen cap is the passage for the bypass on GTO pans...

gto pans do not seem to have the room for any any actual valves up front on top of the filters like i've seen the f-body motors have...

wtf is this?

last pictures terrible but it seems to have some sort of spring/plunger assembly to it. This leads me to believe that I'm looking at my bypass but I'm unsure. I need to know torque specs are for it and what all I'd need to do to clean all the passages of the pan and/or the part # to replace the valve for the bypass. We've taken those hardlines off and cleaned them out but I'm affraid there's just more to that equation. A GTO FSM would be handy as well if anybody happens to have one?

Question #2

Can the barbell be installed backwards? Without reading we assembled the motor as we remember it from before. The barbell is there, I have taken the passage plug off and can see it however I cannot see what side of it the o-ring is on. My builders affraid the o-ring may have gone in first as opposed to the o-ring being closer to the rear main cover. Is this even possible? Are the sizes built the same on each end of the barbell so that this can be done?

I'm really lost here guys and I'm SICK of diagnosing this thing. I cannot pull the trans out while the motors in the car as its a swap and a very tight fit at that. I'm hoping for some good news on this bypass so that I may knock just ONE more thing off the list of possibilities before I pull this thing for a 4th time.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Teching In

confirmed the barbell was installed properly, however it was the gen. 1 barbell. will be putting gen. 2 in and reinstalling everything. oil filter bypass valve was located and checked for proper function, everythings good there. oil pan and all passages/lines were cleaned intensively again, oil pickup height was fine, right on at 1/4". please for the love of god give me more ideas! anybody who solves this gets a 12pack for sure. paypal ready!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Default Question

will the barbell keep the oil from getting to the sending unit and rockers?

Quick Reply: gto pan on ls1, oil pressure issues possibly related to filter bypass or barbell