Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear crankshaft gasket ??? for shortblock build-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear crankshaft gasket ??? for shortblock build-up

The gasket kit I got from the dealership was not complete so the machine shop assembled my engine but left the front and rear crankshaft plates off the block. The pan is also not on the car. I only got the pistons, crank, cam and timing chain on when I picked it up. I went through my box of parts and found the gaskets I was missing and ordered them from the dealership. My ??? is for a 98' 346 LS1:

- the manual says not to reuse the oil pan gasket and to drill out the rivets for the gasket and just replace it - is there another way?

- Should I apply silicone to both sides of the oil pan gasket?

- Do I need all the alignment tools the manual suggests in order to put the rear crankshaft cover gasket on?

- The manual says the rear oil gallery plug should be 1mm inside the block, mine is 1mm outside - should I push it in further, does it make a difference??

I called the engine shop to let them know that I had ordered the gaskets and to set up a time for them to finish the build-up ( as promised when I paid and picked up the engine). They told me they would charge me shop time for 2 hours to finish and were booked till Christmas and would try to work me in over the next few weeks. Basturds, last time I use them.

Thanks for any help,
ERIC
Old 11-12-2003, 07:03 PM

1) You have to drill the rivits out as the gasket is rivited to the pan for assembly.

2) Yes, apply some red/ orange RTV to where the front and rear covers meet the pan gasket.

3)No, you dont need an alignment tool. It should tell you how to do it without the tools in the manual. Basically, you just try to get the space DEAD EVEN where the cover meets the pan surface. Not more gap on one side or the other.

4) Buy a NEW plug. The manual says NOT to reuse the old one. You spent alot of money, whats a $4.00 plug and just push it in as far as it will go, but dont like beat it with a hammer.

This help?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

That answers my questions, Thank You.

The plug is new it just sticks out a little. I didn't think it would matter but wanted to be sure. Like you said - a lot of money to not replace a $4 plug if needed.

I appreciate it,
ERIC
Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 PM

Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Country Boy know's his stuff!