Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a single spring set up ok for this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a single spring set up ok for this cam?

(224/.581/112) I really didnt want to pull the heads and modify them for a dual spring set up. In fact I wont, but I just want to make sure that a single set up will work just fine, well... actually will work great? If so, I was thinking of using the Manley components! Are they any better than the Comp 918s? Ive heard that Manley products are good. Will the Manley be any quieter than the Comp as far as valvetrain noise goes? Thanks and heres my signature for any reference.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Is a single spring set up ok for this cam?

I personally think that cam would be pusihing it but most will say the 918, or ISKY 295 D will be fine (just do some regular maintenence). They are making drop-in double springs now though...Try a search.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Thats what is going in mine next weekend. Manley and that cam. Also i had my springs cryo treated to help the life. www.deepfreezecryo.com
Old 02-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Banned

How would you guys rank single set up springs? Here are the choices: Isky, Comp, Manley, and any else that are out there for LS1s? Are the Manley springs any better than the Comp? Will there be any difference in noise? Do you think that the Manley will outlast the Comp? Whats cyro treating and how much does it cost? Thanks alot.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by OneQuickSS:
<strong> How would you guys rank single set up springs? Here are the choices: Isky, Comp, Manley, and any else that are out there for LS1s? Are the Manley springs any better than the Comp? Will there be any difference in noise? Do you think that the Manley will outlast the Comp? Whats cyro treating and how much does it cost? Thanks alot. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you relating valetrain noise to springs?
I believe cam lobes are responsible for noise in valvetrain , springs if set up tension is the same between them should not affect noise.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned

Sorry I wasnt specific on the question. I wanted to know how you ranked the brands of springs as far as reliability and quality? I also wanted to know if the Manley would obsorb the valvetrain noise any better than the Comps? Thanks By the way, which single spring will work the best for this cam?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Banned

To Niphilli: What do you mean by doing some regular maintenance? Where did you hear that theyre making drop-in double springs set-ups? To Tim98Z: What is cyro treating and how much does it cost? Thanks alot guys!
Old 02-18-2003, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Click on that link it will tell you more about it than i can. And it's like $30-$35 for all 8 springs or something like thet there is a price list there. The guy is a stand up guy (owner of cryo buisness)His name is Jeb. And i know him personally so you can trust him. Basically in short it will treat the metal and make it last longer under stress.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Banned

Do you know of any places in the Houston, Texas area that do this treatment to the springs? How much longer does it extend the life of the springs? Are there any downfalls to this process? Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

No downfalls, sorry i'm not from texas, and dont know about and exact figure for this valve spring i know it will be a minimum of double. I just know it helps and I did it and passing the info on to you. I dont have all the facts about the cryo process. I just know i cant find anything negative about it at all. Unless you cryo and cast iron head before you port it that would be a bi#@$!