Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One side of motor hotter than the other

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One side of motor hotter than the other

Im currently working on a 2002 transam that is smoking on startup and have come across an odd problem and was wondering if anyone else had ever come across this. We popped the hood and noticed one side of the exhaust was glowing whereas the other side appeared normal. Upon removing the valve cover we noticed that the side with the hotter header was darker in color and warmer than the other. The car only has around 25k miles on it and was wondering if anyone on here could explain what could cause this to occur. Thanks and any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have access to any type of scanning tool?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel control on right and left banks is controlled independantly.

I would have O2 sensors checked first.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Yes I have access to a scanning too but its not throwing any codes. I'll check the O2s first then go to fuel. I was thinking it may be something in the head because its burning some oil.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Just ran into this on this weekend. Working under car after letting it run for a minute. Placed my hand on the drivers side header.Cold as if it hadn't ran at all. Placed my hand on the other side, burned my hand. WTH? I'd just installed my narrow band 02 sensors last weekend I was here and hadn't started it till Sat. I ran rough and backfired before I got under the car. Perplexed, I went on the internet looking for "Half of engine runs" etc and found a few responses from others. One of the mentioned a faulty O2. I disconnected both, cranked it up and, Viola! Runs on both sides again. So weird because my HPTuners scanner, while showing one side (bank2) was really lean, it did not show a code nor trigger Check Engine Light. My setup is a purpose built turbo 5.3 running a 3 bar speed density tune.

Quick Reply: One side of motor hotter than the other