Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about my Pushrod length after lifter failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

At 73 I would regardless. I would do the chain and all at that time. Guess it is just a mileage thing
Old 07-16-2009 | 06:53 PM
Launching!

Well I did the measurements and in fact 7.400 was way too long! I measured with my comp cams checker and came up with 7.325 exactly. I even spent $250 and had it verified at a local performance shop for a professional opinion. This has turned out to be a very expensive lession especially after losing my job. I will never blindly listen to a salesman again. Now my only car is down again as another lifter **** the bed and is not pumping up. Ive only put 30 miles on the car since I paid a shop to fix it three weeks ago and now another one is dead! This sucks!!!!!!!

Last edited by Justin93; 07-16-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

man that sux, i feel your pain.

quick question for the techies: if i am doing a cam swap(224r), are new trays vital? my car has 50k, and im also doing pushrods and springs for sure and maybe ls2 chain. the guys at my shop didnt mention anything about the trays.
Old 07-16-2009 | 09:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It's very very important you check the preload. If you need a different length give me a call! We have several sets sitting around and I'd be happy to swap you out. The main thing is it's always best to check it & be for certain.

Just because someone says online something does or doesn't setup right doesn't actually mean it's right. Valve heights play into the pushrod length selection as well as camshaft & lifter selection.

I'd be happy to help swap pushrods with you if you need a shorter set!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-17-2009 | 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Boy. If I spent $20 on everything I really needed but really didn't I would be really broke LOL. I plan on using the 5/16" dowels regardless anytime I do the cam so the lifters don't drop. Guess I will put the $20 towards some new skins.
Not many realize this, but the dowels prevent them from dropping but the trays hold them up. You may find at some point that worn trays let the lifter fall enough the cam won't come out. Ran into this on the last swap I did. Ended up nudging the lifter up with a cam lobe and working things out slowly but new trays are a good idea in my book. Also, remember the trays were designed to keep the lifters tracking correctly with a stock setup, so as you increase spring forces, etc. worn trays may not be as effective.
Old 07-23-2009 | 07:22 PM
Launching!

Just wanted to say thanks to Jon at TSP for hooking me up with a good deal on a new cam and lifters, I appreciate your guys help. Its good to know that there are companies that will take care of there customers still! once again Thanks a ton Jon!!!!

Quick Reply: Confused about my Pushrod length after lifter failure