Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

470+ hp goal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's one we did a little while back,00 camaro m6 stock bottom end,tfs 215's
custom cam,fast 92 with ptm 92mm tb,ud pulley,hooker lt's magnaflow exhaust yella terras
this combo still had alot left in it,i got a little too Conservative with the cam because of idle and ptv clearance.
EDIT:that was with the stock maf too.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with TEA ported heads or TFS heads. tea is the best ported gm casting head out there IMO.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason 98 ta
lots of responses in this thread without carefully reading the posters mods & specs. This car is a a4 car. While i've seen 470rwhp a4 cars before it's not a easy task & not feasible for a street pump gas setup.

The tfs heads or the prc 215 heads are really hands down your best bet for making anywhere near the power goals your looking at. I can tell you that for a fact. The afr heads are nice, but they're nowhere near the power output your trying to get to. I sell all three sets of heads everyday & i can tell you i've personally installed all 3 next to each other on a engine dyno back to back. The tfs & prc 215 heads are both a healthy bit more hp over the afr cylinder heads.

The advantage the prc head has over the others is the smaller chambers without running into p/v clearance. We can ship you a 59cc head that will clear even the larger camshafts while the competitors cylinder heads will run out of p/v clearance somewhere in the 62cc chamber area...

We're also testing a brand new bigger runner ls1 cylinder head for stock bores. You'll still be able to get smaller chambers, but the slightly larger valve will give you less p/v clearance similar to what the tfs head ships with.

This was a m6 car. Not a a4 car.

For max effort camshaft i'll put the ms4 camshaft against any competitors max effort camshaft. The across the board power output the ms4 offers has been engine dyno tested time & time again to be the best all out camshaft available for clearing stock pistons...
if i get the prc 215 heads and ms4 cam do i need to flycut the piston and would my ss4000 stall be enough? How would it drive and what kind of hp would it put down thru a hp tunner
Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned

Hey man that wasn't directed at you, but more so at the guy posting as if AFR heads are the end all be all for HEADS. In no way am I knocking the afr's I am just saying that I have had both: afr 205's and tfs 215's. They are equally HIGH QUALITY AFTER MARKET CNC"D HEADS. I give both a 10 out 10, but I have to lean a smidgen towards the TFS 215's

AFR 205 10/10
TFS 215s 10.5/10
Yes of course if you go with a bigger runner you are going to make more power. It depends on what the goals are for the car, does he daily drive it or does he just want a track car. The bigger the runner, the less LOW END power you will generate unless you bump up compression more and throw in a gear. Gas mileage is sacrificed much more in the mid-upper RPM's, but I am a street friendly set-up guy and thats where my thoughts are. Just my .02
Old 07-10-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

470rwhp on a stock block with A4 is achievable and not impossible; nor does it require the biggest cam out there.
But it will require some well thought out combination of parts and some huge amount of building time, attention to detail and hours of tuning by a real guru.

The one thing that always ammazes me is that most poeple are so infatuated with peak Hp number output, instead of thinking "I would like a combination that makes the best average power between shifts to get me moving".

And before anyone recommends anything the main question to be answered first should be "What is your budget?"

The most efficient way of reaching these high Hp numbers are FI, either Supercharging or Turbo.
The most fun on the street is definitely a Magnuson. More trq that you can shake a stick at by 2500 rpm, 6300 rpm spin limit, very streetable, looks good, sounds stellar at boost, very efficient, good gas mileage etc.. all in all... Class act.
And when the dawgs while bragging about their cams and crying from exhaust fumes come along and ask you "what are you running under dat hood bro?" nothing beats that look of respect when all you utter is "7psi ".
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Yes of course if you go with a bigger runner you are going to make more power. It depends on what the goals are for the car, does he daily drive it or does he just want a track car. The bigger the runner, the less LOW END power you will generate unless you bump up compression more and throw in a gear. Gas mileage is sacrificed much more in the mid-upper RPM's, but I am a street friendly set-up guy and thats where my thoughts are. Just my .02
That's not entirely true unless you go so big on the runner that you step into hog heaven, as in hogged out runners. Cnc'd 205 to cnc'd 215 is not enough to even begin to give loss of bottom end a second thought. TFS 215's have been done on numerous 346 cars and all maintain a very strong bottom end.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
470rwhp on a stock block with A4 is achievable and not impossible; nor does it require the biggest cam out there.
But it will require some well thought out combination of parts and some huge amount of building time, attention to detail and hours of tuning by a real guru.

The one thing that always ammazes me is that most poeple are so infatuated with peak Hp number output, instead of thinking "I would like a combination that makes the best average power between shifts to get me moving".

And before anyone recommends anything the main question to be answered first should be "What is your budget?"

The most efficient way of reaching these high Hp numbers are FI, either Supercharging or Turbo.
The most fun on the street is definitely a Magnuson. More trq that you can shake a stick at by 2500 rpm, 6300 rpm spin limit, very streetable, looks good, sounds stellar at boost, very efficient, good gas mileage etc.. all in all... Class act.
And when the dawgs while bragging about their cams and crying from exhaust fumes come along and ask you "what are you running under dat hood bro?" nothing beats that look of respect when all you utter is "7psi ".

Predator if I could go back in time I think I would've stopped modding my car at g5x3 cam, 78mm fast, 1 3/4 lg pros, bullets, and VaraRam CAI making 400 rwhp 380 rwtq. The car was fast, and ran nice. I would've had a lot more money in the bank or possibly that Mercedes I've had my eye on for awhile now. After round one I started thinking about chasing a number. That number was 500 rwhp. What a stupid goal. After many thousands spent and lots of fun, I wised up and decided to do a stroker. Phase II of the stroker has satisfied all the things you have mentioned Predator. Good AVG power from idle to rev limit. Stump pulling low end torque, plenty of hp to bury the speedo. Should be finding that out soon enough with a slightly taller tire or just bump up the rev limiter a few hundred rpms to hit 200+ in 5th.

So with that being said build a motor that makes the car perform well everywhere, not just up top. All topend builds mean no fun on the street. They will be slow until they get into the power band. True you can gear them, but then we are just cutting corners. Do it right the first time, saves money, and headaches. Perfect example SEE SIG Forget the 346, do a stroker and be done !!!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It definately can be done hyd. with a stock bottom end & 7k rev limiter no problem. That being said 470rwhp in a A4 is probably like 520ish rwhp in a M6 & I've only gone that crazy once..

The MS4 & PRC 215 heads will definately make big power & have a potential to make great power without cutting the pistons. The other options we're discussing are either going to require valve reliefs, or much less compression than the PRC 215s offer.

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Where does the 470 number come from? Are you trying to beat someones numbers?

Races are won at the track not on a dyno so I would concentrate on what you are trying to do.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Where does the 470 number come from? Are you trying to beat someones numbers?

Races are won at the track not on a dyno so I would concentrate on what you are trying to do.
Yes, where does 470 come from ?? Sounds like you are chasing a number much like I was chasing 500 rwhp for my old 346. Please don't waste your time and money like I did.....
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
In all honesty, I've seen track numbers from AFR and TSP stg 1 and 2.5 LS6 heads. I have yet to this day to see any track slips from any TFS 215 headed cars. I see a slew of dyno numbers, but not any track times.
I'm rockin' the LS6 heads with a TSP MS4 cam. That equals a mean machine. The heads arent the greatest, but I didn't want to over-do it and TSP has awesome deals.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

well 470 it just my goal thats all. and im try to get reveng on a car the beat me in a race and claimed it runs 11.7 on motor and 11.2 with nos just a 2001 camaro with bolt ons with a 350 turbo tranny, trans stall, 3600 stall and some other stuff but NO CAM. i think he is just full of ****. my mod are in my signature i dont know my track time but he did just leave me behind in the races. so im out to get him i think big cam good heads and better intake will do the job. i have stock 853 heads and low 11s is a goal for me to
Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

well 470 it just my goal thats all. and im try to get reveng on a car the beat me in a race and claimed it runs 11.7 on motor and 11.2 with nos just a 2001 camaro with bolt ons with a 350 turbo tranny, trans stall, 3600 stall and some other stuff but NO CAM. i think he is just full of ****. my mod are in my signature i dont know my track time but he did just leave me behind in the races. so im out to get him i think big cam good heads and better intake will do the job. i have stock 853 heads and low 11s is a goal for me to
Well think of this...say you slaughter the guy after a few grand, then what? You might have a car that you are unsatisfied with. $1500 for a wet kit with a tune and you can do whatever. You don't have to outmotor him, but I like Pred-Z's remark, nothing like a roots blower on the SOB.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silverLSWON
i would go with TEA ported heads or TFS heads. tea is the best ported gm casting head out there IMO.
On the Contrary, I guess you hadn't seen what Cartek was doing with LS6 heads
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That's not entirely true unless you go so big on the runner that you step into hog heaven, as in hogged out runners. Cnc'd 205 to cnc'd 215 is not enough to even begin to give loss of bottom end a second thought. TFS 215's have been done on numerous 346 cars and all maintain a very strong bottom end.
And there aren't any track time from any
Old 07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok here is my set up that made 468/451 on motor at the wheels: ls6 stroker (374),ls6 intake with pptb, kooks 1 7/8's, orx w/bullets, ud pulley, prc ls6 heads, patrick g custom grind, and a bad *** sd tune. i think with some afrs and a fast 92 i could be well over the 500 mark
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ska4life07
I'm rockin' the LS6 heads with a TSP MS4 cam. That equals a mean machine. The heads arent the greatest, but I didn't want to over-do it and TSP has awesome deals.
I'm rockin TSP LS6 heads also and running door to door with AFR headed cars.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those PRC heads are showing some crazy results. I'm surprised TSP never mentioned their new Tsunami cam, which I believe made around 470 with the prc's. With a FAST, bigger headers, I think they were shooting to break 500rwhp N/A. I'd like to know more about these bigger valved heads they are working on.

Whether you're aiming for streetability, high HP #s, or track times, gotta love the power numbers they are pulling out of stock shortblock ls1's these days.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Check out AFR's link below with their 224/228 cam and their street 205 heads on an LS1 block with LS6 intake. The numbers are unbelievable. You don't need a big *** cam that requires 4.56 gears to move it.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/ls1_dyno.php
I think this AFR H/C dyno chart is FWHP, not RWHP.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

usable power just like predator said. that's why im not putting a dime in my 346 and building everything around it all i need is a rearend and then im ready for my poison. btw that ls7 440 is still in the back of my mind since i saw that graph by patriot

btw, i know i have a lot of patience lol