Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyones take on the AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEA Brent
I think it's going to be a bunch of smoke, just like everything else they offer. I am a dealer of AFR heads and I have seen everything they do. Best I can say is it is OK, they don't flow what they are advertised to on the intake side. AFR just has the magazine help so people think they are good when in fact I have never seen an afr head that I would run on anything of mine. It wouldn't suprise me if the heads didn't flow 290cfm on the intake. But hey maybe they will produce something good this time. Only time will tell.

Brent and Brian,

I am VERY sure that you have not yet tested these new Air Flow Research LS heads, so to come up with this type of slanderous post is totally wrong and pretty much shows everyone here, the style of business that TEA is known for.

Since you have opened the proverbial "Pandora's Box" I will expound on my thoughts and opinions on your negative comments...

As you both know, I am not a fan of "exaggerated" flow numbers that your company continually spews to the consumer. Your Ford heads have always 10%-15% higher than what everyone (who knows how to correctly test heads) can come up with, no matter how they are manipulated and contorted. With pipes, without pipes and even moving the heads all over the place, your products never deliver what flow figures they promise the customer. I can only "assume" the same holds true for your LS heads but I will not know for sure until next month's testing...

(BTW... I can provide you some real data on your Ford TW heads when tested on a SF600 bench if you want...)

Though not as previlent in the public forums, it's common knowledge in the industry that TEA has always been a little "flowery" on their flow figures in order to sell heads... even you must know this fact by now! As a matter of fact, even Brian admitted to me "in person" that he has to stay "ahead of the other shops" by inflating the flow figures "a little" and we both laughed about it. After all, nearly everyone else does it, right?

I really think the problem occurs when "every" big magazine advertiser inflates a little in order to stay in front. They all are trying the same tactic and the facts be damned over the hype. It's just like adding an "A" to a company name just to be first in the telephone book. TEA and quite a few others fall into the same path of "tweaking" the facts...

Maybe you should reserve judgement and not bash the AFR heads until you actually test these heads on "your" particular bench. No matter how "off" it may be compared to the SF600 benches that everyone else uses, it will be "off" at least the same amount on the AFR pieces too...

If you think that you can flat out say that the AFR heads are not up to par, even without seeing them, then you need to get some real proof. Get your stuff tested on a REAL flow bench, the industry standard SF600 and not what you guys use. If you want to have them tested, let me know. I will offer this to you.

You can even fly here to verify the testing is accurate and to your preferences. Remember though, the FACTS will be public knowledge and you may have to change your web site's flow sheets.

Again, keep it civil when you say what you say, especially when you are using supposition and not facts...

Ed
Old 11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the gauntlet just got thrown
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDC, send me a set of AFR heads and I'll be happy to flow them against my TEA heads.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

EDC, Spanky asked for opinions which Brent gave not judgements like you just pronounced on TEA.

Also noticed your pushing FlowTech in your sig. Vince a board member had a set of FlowTech heads. they were among the best flowing non-power making heads ever seen on an LS1 by the majority of the board. TEA fixed the issue, might want to keep that in mind before throwings stones at TEA.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:20 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, this one got off track. The bottom line is the AFR heads aren't out, until they are I don't think we'll know how good they are. This one is done.