Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRC1wkEfhYw
Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It's running a stock LS6 intake manifold and completely stock 853 casting heads on all these runs.

Sorry, we are not giving the complete spec of each camshaft such as the ICL out so that our competitors can use the info to streamline and improve their camshaft line-ups. This engine dyno is an investment to help improve our business and to help get the best out there for our customers. Some shops grind a camshaft blindly, and it dyno's nice in one car, and it becomes their best seller and it gets pushed on all their customers whether it's the best for their combo or not. All the while the customer doesn't get the best they could have because not all shops spend the money to do this kind of in-depth R&D. Hope you all understand. I can tell you that ICL/ECL does make a healthy difference on power production and powerband though (all the VE's play their part), and we're glad to have this tool to help us offer the best to our customers!

Isn't this how you've been operating over the years?

Looks like we just learned that several 224 cams with very minor changes perform like a 224 cam. Great find with the new dyno yall just found out what we already knew.,
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

its nice to see dyno comparisons, no doubt. but like people have said, this information is really useless if we dont know what ICL's the cams were installed on. if this comparison were done right they all should have been installed dot to dot for a level playing field.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by THENASCAR
its nice to see dyno comparisons, no doubt. but like people have said, this information is really useless if we dont know what ICL's the cams were installed on. if this comparison were done right they all should have been installed dot to dot for a level playing field.
They're basically all the same dang cam, as you can see they all made about the same power. If they had someone that knew how to spec cams they wouldn't need to dyno the same cam ten times. At least they had one with some split and look what it did compared. And I hope their new secret lobes are better on valve train parts than some of the other stuff they've been using.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely keep an eye out in the future! There's much more to come including more testing of some of our competitor's products!

We use a QTP 2 piece cover to make the cam swaps fairly quick and painless

Glad someone is getting some good use from over timing covera
Send us some pics of it on the engine.

Great info guys!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

ive been very pleased with the 224 @112 lsa thats in my 2000 SS. ****, im putting down almost 460rwhp with it and supporting mods.

that is the main reason why i have not bothered looking into going to a larger cam. ive been having to much fun trying to max out this little 224...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Isn't this how you've been operating over the years?

Looks like we just learned that several 224 cams with very minor changes perform like a 224 cam. Great find with the new dyno yall just found out what we already knew.,
Nope, we've always given full specs on any of our camshafts whether someone calling purchased one or not

And it's kind of ironic that you say you've known that a 224 cam is a 224 cam is a 224 cam all along, but you claim that you and your buddy's grinds make worlds better power than everyone else's magically! Guess there's no need to spend an arm and a leg on you and your buddy's "R&D based" camshafts anymore then, huh?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the thread *****. I didn't think it would take you long to have to get in the thread & talk as much trash as you can. We spend the time actually checking different lobes & events because rather than sitting at our computer talking about what something might do, we choose to confirm what something ACTUALLY does. The ultimate goal is to provide customers with better overall power.

Nobody can hate on someone for testing & developing new lobes & camshaft profiles... Unless of course your run a competitor HUH *****??

I can always tell when you boys get worried or your feelings hurt because you show up in our threads trying to talk trash...

They're basically all the same dang cam, as you can see they all made about the same power. If they had someone that knew how to spec cams they wouldn't need to dyno the same cam ten times. At least they had one with some split and look what it did compared. And I hope their new secret lobes are better on valve train parts than some of the other stuff they've been using.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Dug: We did give the ICL's in the 220 cam thread. You have to understand we're not doing this to give the knowledge away to our competitors. This is for us to improve our camshaft selection for our customers, so they know they're getting the best available.
Matt how would this cam work with a stock 241 head, 5.7 stock bottom end with yella 1.8's. Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jman54002
Matt how would this cam work with a stock 241 head, 5.7 stock bottom end with yella 1.8's. Thanks
If you've already got the YT 1.8's then it'll be just fine. It's going to bump your max valve lift up to about .615", which will still work fine with the PRC dual spring kit or equivalent.

If you don't already have those rockers, keep the stockers and have the trunnions rebuilt (Harland Sharp offers this service for under $300). This would be the route I'd go if you don't already have the YellaTerra 1.8's!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Brian RS/SS

Awesome torque man! That fat curve is exactly what I'm craving for my SS.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Restricted User

Nope, we've always given full specs on any of our camshafts whether someone calling purchased one or not

And it's kind of ironic that you say you've known that a 224 cam is a 224 cam is a 224 cam all along, but you claim that you and your buddy's grinds make worlds better power than everyone else's magically! Guess there's no need to spend an arm and a leg on you and your buddy's "R&D based" camshafts anymore then, huh?
Hey Matt

There is a differance in ours vs yours, you'll just have to dyno 50 more to figure out were and how. One of ours just made 465rwhp in a stock bottom end LS2 GTO. There can be a differance but just changing the lobe a little or the LSA really isn't going to change much at all and you deff. proved that with your dyno test.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

great info here!
thanks for sharing!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Welcome to the thread *****. I didn't think it would take you long to have to get in the thread & talk as much trash as you can. We spend the time actually checking different lobes & events because rather than sitting at our computer talking about what something might do, we choose to confirm what something ACTUALLY does. The ultimate goal is to provide customers with better overall power.

Nobody can hate on someone for testing & developing new lobes & camshaft profiles... Unless of course your run a competitor HUH *****??

I can always tell when you boys get worried or your feelings hurt because you show up in our threads trying to talk trash...
Thanks for the welcome Jason. Glad I could come over and chat a little. It's been a month or so sence I've check your site out. Good to see you have several threads pimping your new dyno (well one just turned out to be an independant dyno).

And no one would hate on you if you actually develoed something differant than what you already have. Hope the new lobes are better on valve train parts than some of the others you have been using.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the welcome Jason. Glad I could come over and chat a little. It's been a month or so sence I've check your site out. Good to see you have several threads pimping your new dyno (well one just turned out to be an independant dyno).

And no one would hate on you if you actually developed something differant than what you already have. Hope the new lobes are better on valve train parts than some of the others you have been using.
A person's ability to spell and use grammar says a lot about them.

Some folks don't need no stinkin' college I suppose.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by crainholio
A person's ability to spell and use grammar says a lot about them.

Some folks don't need no stinkin' college I suppose.
Thanks for the spell check.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Restricted User

Hey matt, I just read that you guys wanted Nitroused383 to pull his 224 cam out of his car so you could dyno it. I could see an improvement in your cams if you could get your hands on one, good try. Looks like you see the differance as well.

I'm seeing the thread getting deleted or my ban coming soon for having an opinion and voicing it. You've got the typical that post "great info" no Matter what. Maybe some will read this thread and see through some of the TSP advertising BS.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

***** your class always shows through..

Welcome back to the site...

Glad your 224 cams can throw that football over those mountains... LOL
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

*****, the same rule applies here. Don't reply again or i'll delete them.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Jon @ TSP,

Interesting info. Any reason why you did not include the TR224-112?

I would like to see how it stacked up in there.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!