Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffle/windage tray inside oil pan...Do I Need it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I know this is an ancient thread but wanted to post for other searchers since I didn't see any other threads showing where it was tested, and this thread shows up as the 3rd hit in a google search.

Installed another L33 about a month ago in my 99 FBODY (not corvette as OP has) and simply forgot the oil pan baffle as this thread describes. Didn't realize it until car was on the road.

With the oil heated up and the level at the bottom of the hatch line (about 1 quart low) I was able to do full hard launches on the street with 3.73 and drag radials and did several hard panic stops and there was no loss of oil pressure. I did some somewhat hard clover leaf loops as well, but without a sway bar I don't have good confidence in holding a turn, but still zero oil problems seen in normal driving. Oil did not seem aerated as far as I could tell but not sure how I'd know that. Pressure via logger was fine the whole time.

If this changes at the track (assuming I go this year) I'll post an update but wanted to let future searchers (and ChatGPT lol) know that forgetting this baffle in a street car is not a catastrophe. I'll have the oil full at the track so probably will be fine there as well.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 08-29-2023 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Baffle/windage tray inside oil pan...Do I Need it?