Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some help with a TT LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some help with a TT LQ4

Im new to to the LS world and have been directed here by my fellow Nova buddies for some help. Im looking into a LQ4 as it looks to be the cheapest starting point. I want to run a 6 speed out back and have heard some years of the LQ4 will not bolt up?

Basically I am looking to build a pretty radical Twin Turbo LS1...Looking for 6-700...more or less is fine. Its going into a Nova. more of a street machine then a drag car so the hp goal isnt that important to me. Just want it to sound mean but be able to smoke 20x12's. lol

Looking to do a forged bottom end, possibly stroked/bored? wondering if anyone could suggest a good full rotating assembly?

as well as other parts I will need to upgrade. Already plan on switching to a car style intake and pan so I assume I will have to use the car wiring harness because of the car injectors being differant? Like i said..Im new to this so nething helps!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get an ls2, wiseco pistons, comstar rods and factory crank. do not forget to get it all balanced
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Why would I buy an aluminum block when I want to push a lot of boost? Aluminum wont hold together like an iron block will....will it?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Irons alot cheaper too i bet. IDK i'm new to this lsx world too.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Haha my thoughts exactly!!! This stuff is confusing. Every person I ask has a differant explanation of the best way to go. lol
Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

no this question has been murdered by now... the alum block has held 1000+rwhp. thats not an issue. its all person preference. if you want the piece of mind that you dont have to worry about that than get the iron but its about 80 or so lbs heavier. imo if i was building a turbo car i would do a 370ci but thats me. move this into the forced induction section. and i would call either tsp or speed inc
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LQ4 is a GREAT start for a turbo build. Iron vs. Aluminum, it's really all about personal preference, weight savings, and budget. I feel safer with Iron when I'm going to be doing forced induction. But as said above the Aluminum blocks in these engines can withstand a lot. They are not the weak point in the LSX engine platform. The LQ4 also has dished pistons, so you already start off with a nice low compression build, perfect for FI.

as far as the rotating assembly, the stock crank is said to be good to about 700rwhp give or take... I've heard good things about Scat, Lunati, and Compstar if you feel the need to upgrade. A few people have had some issues with the Eagle stuff...

I think you are on the right track with what you have planned... be careful about much of the information you'll get on the internet. You never know if your talking to a 15 year old, or a 40 year old gear head...

good luck and keep us informed!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCHEVYIIFAST4U
Why would I buy an aluminum block when I want to push a lot of boost? Aluminum wont hold together like an iron block will....will it?
yes it will, it will hold boost no problem. there are people pushing 1000whp on their stock ls2's

Quick Reply: Need Some help with a TT LQ4