Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

228 Duration Camshafts On The Engine Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
^^i bet they do test all of those but they started with small cams and are just now on the 228 so it might be a while plus its alot of money to test all of these with gas and other prices
LOL your definately right about that! There's been days I've burned over 7 gallons of gas testing different camshafts. LOL 7-11 here I come!!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great to see results of cam testing. at this point in the game, it seems ls1 off the shelf cams are beaten to death. it's nice to see some real numbers and comparisons.

i think this information would be much more useful if it were compiled as oldstroker has suggested. it would really give people a better idea of which cam to get, as the graphs and numbers would be readily available and easily viewable. same engine, dyno, etc etc would be a godsend to people who are wanting to learn what these cams do.

good work, keep it up. i love seeing stuff like this, it makes me think someone gives a damn haha.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good work caint wait for the next few cams to get tested..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Here's the single patterns all together guys. Sorry this is as far as I've made it. For every simple single pattern cam, there's numerous others that we test as splits. What split works best for one intake duration doesn't necessarily work on another.

Here's the 220s single patterns all together.
Looking closely at the graph from this post seems to paint an interesting picture. For the sake of discussion, I'm curious if you can post a delta graph - similar to the second graph in the first post - comparing the new 228 lobe to the 220R. It looks like the 228 matches the torque curve of the 220R at about 2700rpm up to around 4000rpm, then surpasses it at about 4800rpm.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I find these dyno comparisons interesting. Althought your using a proprietary lobe, one can get the idea of how a slightly more agressive ramp rate can affect power in the same duration. I get what your trying to do and I appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

was this an engine dyno or chassis dyno?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^engine
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

dang if this was chassis i was sold I thought the numbers were kinda high...even though that would be about 410 or so through a A4 and a 10 bolt.

To the guys at TSP what where the other mods to the engine. It's pretty impressive if its cam only.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^i wish it was a chassis dyno to lol that would be sweet i think it has a LS6 intake and 1 3/4 headers thats it
Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i really enjoy seeing the different cams stack up against each other such as 224 vs 228 and so on. Also not clear on what exact mods are done on the test engine......Im assuming LTs correct?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Keep in mind guys the first graph is a steady state test where the engine dyno holds the engine at a certain rpm for 5 seconds & averages the results over those 5 seconds. The sweep test is a dyno pull like everyone is use to seeing. The step test often works best for more accurate results because it averages the same rpm tons of times, while in the sweep test the engine is accelerating water all the time.
Could you clarify if your other cam test have been tested the same way. Is this steady state testing something new you guys learned? It is interesting to see the different torque curve; stead state vs sweep test. How many dyno pulls have you performed on your LS1 test mule. This is just a testiment to how durable / reliable the ls1 truely is.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Nitroused we've made well over 200 pulls on this poor thing! LOL The step testing lasts nearly 50 seconds at wide open!! LMAO I have numerous step tests & sweep tests of every camshaft we've tested at several different advance points.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I agree, this is not intended to get 228R owners to call up and spend the money to go to the new 228 lobe...that just doesn't make monetary sense (cents, lol)! But for the first time buyer who is swapping from the stock camshaft and is on the fence about different 228º camshafts, it's a little bit of data to show that different lobes can make a few extra ftlbs (over 5) and a few extra hp (about 3) over others. That's testing which lobe is the best bang for the buck!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Question:
Why do you guys only test cams in the 112 or 114 range?
Surely we both know that overlap is the real power maker here so why not increase overlap on those 224s and 228s to a point of strong gains.
On a stock SCR 346 you guys should do some work in the 8/9* positive overlap range with those cams, then you'll see more substantial gains.

BTW, did you ever test that 230/228 110-1 LSA cam? I was really curious as to what it would have done on an engine dyno.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Question:
Why do you guys only test cams in the 112 or 114 range?
Surely we both know that overlap is the real power maker here so why not increase overlap on those 224s and 228s to a point of strong gains.
On a stock SCR 346 you guys should do some work in the 8/9* positive overlap range with those cams, then you'll see more substantial gains.

BTW, did you ever test that 230/228 110-1 LSA cam? I was really curious as to what it would have done on an engine dyno.
I think, and Jason can expand on this if he has a different idea, that it is due to most of our customers being very intimidated/scared of the tighter LSA's and many tuners out there refusing to tune them for customers for whatever reason.

Your 230/228 is coming soon. We're working up in duration from smallest to largest, but have to keep the shop running, emails and PM's answered, heads being produced, getting the newest 5 axis machine up and running, etc in the mean time.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd also like to see some other manufacturers tested vs. the Comp lobes. Cam Motion, Flowtech, Crane, etc...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like seeing these graphs. I can't believe how close the 224 is to the 228 cams. I'm still waiting on the big cams to make their way into this motor.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I think, and Jason can expand on this if he has a different idea, that it is due to most of our customers being very intimidated/scared of the tighter LSA's and many tuners out there refusing to tune them for customers for whatever reason.
Your 230/228 is coming soon. We're working up in duration from smallest to largest, but have to keep the shop running, emails and PM's answered, heads being produced, getting the newest 5 axis machine up and running, etc in the mean time.
Well then it is time for education I guess. A 228 cam with 9* overlap will run much smoother than a 237 cam with 13* overlap. Problem is you might find out that in a cam only situation that the 228 could make better overall power and subject the bigger cam to a marketing crisis.
So what, call it evolution.

If a tuner would tell me that he would not tune a 9* overlap cam just because he is seing 107>109 LSA in the cam specs, I would pack my stuff in a hurry and leave. That would be the only indication I would need to prove to me he is a bad tuner and that I better spend my money with a "real" professional.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 08-05-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First off, the bottom line here is that folks need to play nice. I'm not saying we can have differing opinions. I'm not saying you can't disagree with a shop or their results. But if you are going to do so you need to be able to bring something to the table other than just a bunch of junk posts. In fact I think anyone would welcome hard test data to compare with whatever TSP posts. But, whats happening in many of the TSP posts isn't an intelligent discussion, its just a bunch of smack talk.

What I am saying is that certains folks actions are pretty clear in their intent, and their aim. None of which is to assist the overall community, increase overall knowledge, or generally be of any help. Here it is in a nutshell. I'm "strongly suggesting" that folks need to start acting in a more civil manner not just in this thread, but in general. If they can't then I'm going to ask that they start refraining from posting in certain threads if they can't be more constructive.

Again, I'm not telling you you can't post, or you can't disagree. But folks know when they are being argumentative just for the sake of starting trouble. If anyone has any questions you can contact me directly and I'll be happy to go over a question with anyone who isn't clear on what I'm saying.

Jason,

I for one would like to thank you guys for all the dyno testing. I haven't seen anyone else bother to do this sort of testing. What amazes me is that certain folks seem to want to do nothing more than stir up issues when they don't need to.

There have been several thread lately which have been polluted up that didn't need to be. There are folks who seem to be following every TSP thread with the single intent of causing trouble.Frankly its not constructive behavior. Nor does it help the site as a whole.

Before anyone labels me as a TSP fanboi let me make something perfectly clear. This is not about being some shop cheerleader. This is about folks taking jabs at a sponsor who is trying to share some information and getting attacked for it at every turn.

I think a thread like this is very valuable as people who have certain beliefs about what certain lobes will and will not do can see what happens when those beliefs are put to the "acid test".

I'm kind of amazed that if a shop is willing to go makes pulls on their dyno at their own expense that folks wouldn't be a little more supportive.

A couple of things I'd like to see, but I'm not expecting TSP to spend any money on it would be to test either in the 228 or 224 line with some XE, XFI, or even some of the marine lobes lobes. I'd like to see the loss from using small lift cam that is easier on springs to see what a quantifiable loss is.

The other test I'd like to see is to start with a 224 or 228 symetic pattern and start adding exhaust lobe to it to see how much exhaust bias the engine likes at that duration.

I know a few folks have discussed sending cams to TSP to throw on the mule to see where they stack up. I have a couple of cams I'd be willing to send over to test just to see how they stack up overall. I think it would be interesting just like Tony Mamo's spreadsheet of flow numbers it would be interesting to see how the various cams stack up.

My buddy in Australia (Sam) of Sam's performance did a test like this in 2003. He did about 200 dyno pulls to test every cam and header currently offered as a "package" by most of the shops in Australia for a big magazine shootout. I was intesting to see how the various cams stacked up against one another.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Is this new 228 cam available? I looked at your site and didn't find it. I have a friend looking for a cam and I told him about the 228R and I think he would like this one alittle better

Quick Reply: 228 Duration Camshafts On The Engine Dyno