Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Carb Distributor GM Conversion cover and ATI help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Carb Distributor GM Conversion cover and ATI help!!!

I am converting my 2001 ls1 with the gm cover 88958670 running the distributor up front... I was wondering people's input on the conversion... Also, you have to drill two hole in the front cam retainer plate to oil the distributor gear and fuel pump etc..., but they say to drill .025 holes in the located places in the instructions and my question is the holes are rediculously small and I have seen someone on the internet drill quite larger holes. Anyone have any advice on that, stay with the .025 holes are drill larger ones???

Also I purchased the ati drill fixture kit 918993 and the instructions are quite vague. Anyone have more indepth pictures or instructions and does it matter where the dowel pin is drilled as I am running the ati damper 917776 that has the timing marks only on the damper and am wondering if the pin in not drilled in the correct position would it effect the timing numbersthat will be seen at the timing pointer...??? Sorry if its confusing

Sorry for the long post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 AM
9 Second Club

It doesn't take much oil to lubricate the gears. Any larger and you will begin to loose signifjcant oil pressure. Small block fords don't have much oil to these areas and you perform the same update.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

i do know there are 2 diff sets of directions for pinning, one for the reg balancer, one for the dist drive-i got the dist ones by mistake, if i can find them, i'll read them-does the front cover have a timing tab? i could email ATI and get you some info if needed-their right up the street-i do know you have to be careful drilling, boring out the hole for the pin, it is easy to make it to big
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by butler
It doesn't take much oil to lubricate the gears. Any larger and you will begin to loose signifjcant oil pressure. Small block fords don't have much oil to these areas and you perform the same update.
Yea I figured its just the holes are barely visible, I will just drill them out to those specs, its just hard to locate the .025 drill bits.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i do know there are 2 diff sets of directions for pinning, one for the reg balancer, one for the dist drive-i got the dist ones by mistake, if i can find them, i'll read them-does the front cover have a timing tab? i could email ATI and get you some info if needed-their right up the street-i do know you have to be careful drilling, boring out the hole for the pin, it is easy to make it to big
Yea, please let me know if you find them. The timing cover has a adjustable timing pointer on the front...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I found out I need the 918993-1 drill pin fixture for reference of the timing marks, man I knew there was something wrong, I am pissed cause the gm cover instructions told me to order the 918993 kit
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
Well I found out I need the 918993-1 drill pin fixture for reference of the timing marks, man I knew there was something wrong, I am pissed cause the gm cover instructions told me to order the 918993 kit
??? Those are the same number. I am assuming that was a typo?

EDIT: Does the -1 differentiate?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
??? Those are the same number. I am assuming that was a typo?

EDIT: Does the -1 differentiate?
yea the "-1" is a longer piece with a keyway machined in and the crank sprocket has to be removed...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

hey man cant provide mush help to you but could you post up some pictures? im interested in running this carb and dist setup in the future i just dont know how well the kit works and how it looks.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread, but how did this turn out?

Quick Reply: Ls1 Carb Distributor GM Conversion cover and ATI help!!!