Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 = Modular engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 = Modular engine?

I said no and my mustang friend swears on evertything that it is and I don't know wtf a modular motor is because I don't drive ford so can someone explain this, I am searching on how stuff works but can't find a dam thing
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight from dictionary.com as a noun.

something, as a house or piece of furniture, built or organized in self-contained units or sections.

a self-contained unit or item, as of furniture, that can be combined or interchanged with others like it to create different shapes or designs.

The head on the OHC motors contains all the goodies.

But as an adjective, it says - composed of standardized units or sections for easy construction or flexible arrangement

IMO, I'd consider the LSx/LQx motors more modular than the Ford motors. Pretty much everything can be exchanged on 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, all of them. On the Ford motors most parts can not be exchanged between the 4.6 and 5.4.

Last edited by jetlag; 08-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jetlag
something, as a house or piece of furniture, built or organized in self-contained units or sections.

a self-contained unit or item, as of furniture, that can be combined or interchanged with others like it to create different shapes or designs.

Speak in cars not in clay akin
Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
Speak in cars not in clay akin
I'm sorry you can't understand modern English.

I will edit my post and put all the important stuff in bold so you can understand easier.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

lsx are NOT modular motors. Mod motors refer to OHC engines. We have pushrod engines
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
lsx are NOT modular motors. Mod motors refer to OHC engines. We have pushrod engines

Thank you he asked me is your motor pushrod motor I said yes he said ok its a modular motor lol
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The Modular engine is Ford Motor Company's current high volume overhead camshaft (OHC) V8 and V10 gasoline engine family. It gradually replaced the Windsor small-block and 385 big-block engines over several years in the mid-1990s. Contrary to popular belief, the Modular engine did not get its name from its design or sharing of certain parts among the engine family. Instead, the name was derived from a manufacturing plant protocol, "Modular", where the plant and its tooling could be changed out in a matter of hours to manufacture different versions of the engine family

Compliments of Wikipedia
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The Modular engine is Ford Motor Company's current high volume overhead camshaft (OHC) V8 and V10 gasoline engine family. It gradually replaced the Windsor small-block and 385 big-block engines over several years in the mid-1990s. Contrary to popular belief, the Modular engine did not get its name from its design or sharing of certain parts among the engine family. Instead, the name was derived from a manufacturing plant protocol, "Modular", where the plant and its tooling could be changed out in a matter of hours to manufacture different versions of the engine family

Compliments of Wikipedia
Thank you GOD! All kinds of bad info in this thread.

Modular refers to the factory they are made in because it is modular in that ford can switch its assembly lines around quickly to produce different versions of the modular family. Modular has NOTHING to do with the engine design
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

Compliments of Wikipedia
Well there ya go.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

WTF how did furniture come up in this thread??? LOL
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Einstein jetlag uses the dictionary as a car bible.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Thank you GOD! All kinds of bad info in this thread.

Modular refers to the factory they are made in because it is modular in that ford can switch its assembly lines around quickly to produce different versions of the modular family. Modular has NOTHING to do with the engine design
You got that right! I Have a 97 4.6 Cobra we are doing in the shop, NOTHING on that engine is standard. I have been working with a couple of Ford shops to get this thing done but hardly anything interchanges between Ford's engine families. I don't ever take for granted that I can bolt a TH400 to the back of an LSx engine

Shane
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
11 Second Truck Club

And yet Ford is the only company that still hasn't filed for bankruptcy.... How the F*#k did that happen?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Because the great engineers GM has DIDN'T cause their issues...

Shane
Old 08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPFD
And yet Ford is the only company that still hasn't filed for bankruptcy.... How the F*#k did that happen?
When you can't use wrecking yard parts it helps.

When you really only have 2 families of small block, and within the family they share damn near every part it really cuts down on selling new parts; and it's harder to say you have a new/bigger/better motor out there.

Seriously, though...Chevrolet does build good stuff, but think about how often they REALLY incorporate what the owners are requesting into the next generation of car.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your Mustang friend needs to do some research. The difference is the geometry in the two engines.

Like stated above....
LSx's go from Cam Lobe--->lifter--->pushrod--->rocker arm (making a 180 degre turn)--->Valve spring/Valve. This is from the Cam physically being position in somewhat of the center of the engine. One camshaft sprocket/One Crankshaft sprocket.

"Modular Engines" (I will probably be corrected here) goes basically from the Cam Lobe--->Lifter--->Valve spring/Valve. This is from the two cams positioned on top of the Heads. Two Camshaft Sprockets/One Crankshaft sprocket.

*Disclaimer: I've never seen a "Modular Engine" torn apart, so I'm going of basic logics here...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

ive heard this before, many times atually. id say what i heard, but ill wait for a real answer. i dont wanna spread any wrong info. all i know is LSx > modular.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Because the great engineers GM has DIDN'T cause their issues...

Shane
I'll agree with you on powertrain engineering, but their interior design engineer's and crappy cheap electronic's didn't help them any.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

But as an adjective, it says - composed of standardized units or sections for easy construction or flexible arrangement

IMO, I'd consider the LSx/LQx motors more modular than the Ford motors. Pretty much everything can be exchanged on 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, all of them. On the Ford motors most parts can not be exchanged between the 4.6 and 5.4.
You have a good point. The only main difference is the LS engine makes power. But so do Fords mod. engines, just needs blowers or any adder to help it out, where as LS motors are awesome N/A.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

You have a good point. The only main difference is the LS engine makes power. But so do Fords mod. engines, just needs blowers or any adder to help it out, where as LS motors are awesome N/A.

Quick Reply: LS1 = Modular engine?