Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Porter Pics, NO CNCs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in porting, if you havent done it simple rules apply. 1 polish only the exhaust runners, 2 a good vj and bowl work help, 3 after the 1st inch and a half dont worry too much past that. 4 you dont have to take too much materal away, 5 dont worry so much about making the intake runners smooth (it actually makes the air stick instead of swirl). 6 the floor of the intake runner needs little to know work (just leave alone if your not port matching).

i started on a set of bad old castings to see how far i could go with a set. little practice never hurts. take your time, and call around to your local machine shops to see if they will flow them for you. o and also have the vj done after you have ported the heads. and stay away from the guides.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I will have to post a set of 317s I did, 370cfm and no stall. welding and porting to the max ,no bullshit here guys will have pics tonight or tomorrow
Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
in porting, if you havent done it simple rules apply. 1 polish only the exhaust runners, 2 a good vj and bowl work help, 3 after the 1st inch and a half dont worry too much past that. 4 you dont have to take too much materal away, 5 dont worry so much about making the intake runners smooth (it actually makes the air stick instead of swirl). 6 the floor of the intake runner needs little to know work (just leave alone if your not port matching).

i started on a set of bad old castings to see how far i could go with a set. little practice never hurts. take your time, and call around to your local machine shops to see if they will flow them for you. o and also have the vj done after you have ported the heads. and stay away from the guides.
pretty much IMO the best thing to do....
Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ttranssam
wow....so many ppl think they know soooooo much, **** that **** is annoying. i ported my own heads, and with only a dremel and slower speed drill....at first you doubt your self but after a while i looked back....at 25+ hours of work and the heads looked great Now i know NOTHING MORE THEN THE NEXT IDIOT but **** i tryed and they put out. i just wanna see the ******* that says someones going to destroy there heads by home porting, and show me one person that has ever hurt there heads by porting...im sure there has been but ITS NOT COMMIN...
What were the flow number on your home ported heads?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

1) You can also polish the combustion chamber.
2) A good VJ and blend will pick up 15-20 hp, the same as the guy who dove in and "ported" his own heads. Probably got all of his gain from the valve job.
3) don't worry past an inch and a half if you want a half done head.
4) In certain areas you DO have to take a lot of material away.. so many porters just WISH there was 30-40 thousandths more metal in a particular place so could get the shape they really want the runner to have.
5) You don't want it polished yes, but you don't want it rough. a 120 grit is fine and will look smooth. It helps remove surface irregularities.
6) The airflow over the short side radius is one of the most important parts. It definately needs to be addressed. This area has nothing to do with port matching. If you are trying to significantly open up the entry of the intake port and lowering the floor, then you're just an idiot.

On another point: Profiling the guide bosses properly is going to be a big part of your mid lift gains. You DEFINATELY don't want to leave them alone.

I'm all for people cutting up their own heads though. I just hate to see bad info out there.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

son i own my own bussiness. I am a machinist and do this for a living. i was giving him the very basics to start with. what i told him would not hurt the flow of the head. and he could pick up a few cfm. I know that Turbo cutlass knows what he is talking about because he does this for a living also. No one cares if you were talking to big name head porters. i was tought by mondello's top student Creek. do this for a living to feed your children and then come talk to me.

Last edited by novaflash2002; 09-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

son i own my own bussiness. I am a machinist and do this for a living. i was giving him the very basics to start with. what i told him would not hurt the flow of the head. and he could pick up a few cfm. I know that Turbo cutlass knows what he is talking about because he does this for a living also. No one cares if you were talking to big name head porters. i was tought by mondello's top student Creek. do this for a living to feed your children and then come talk to me.
Why did you take my corrections so personal? Ok, so you pick out one of the things I listed. Ignore the fact I am doing this on the side of my real job. This is just my hobby. Go ahead and backpedal into "oh well what I told him won't hurt his heads." Fact is he could still very well hurt his heads. If he touches the valve seat with the grinder the heads are junk. Look if you want to make this personal, we can. And don't call me "son." I don't care if Mondello taught you. I don't think anybody does. In some circles, that's a detriment and not a compliment. I'm done in this thread.. so go back to your "bussiness" and telling people the SSR needs little to "know" work.. and be a machinist and feed your family. Maybe take a night english class so you don't come off sounding so bad. Good luck.

edit: Why is it every time someone on this site has a contradictory opinion they get tarred and feathered? I get tired of being victimized over here when I'm just trying to help people out.

Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 09-02-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

To help a bit more..

If you can tell by the picture and not by measuring, which would make you a very special person.. this is as far as you want to go in the bowl area.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

posted by stl200mph-------------------------------------------------------Turning wrenchs and being a good head porter is two different animals to say the least.... Sounds like you are getting ready to phuch up a set of heads....please have them flowed when you finish so that we can see how well you did...good luck ...

What is there to misunderstand about this reply? As far as the internet tough guy What do you expect, that being said I am trying to make the most out of the castings I have by blending, some light porting and a 5angle VJ. When Im done will they flow as much as your TEAs, HELL NO. But I can live with that can you? Cncing is great no argument here, if that's the way you want to go. I'm not. My question to you is if you been rodding since the 60s have you never tried to make the most out of the parts or setup you had by any means? Oh on the heads I have a few sets thanks anyway.

Last edited by BaddBird; 09-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the reason for not working on the floor of the head is, a ls seriers facorty style ,be ls1 ls6 l92 fast have a loop style runner. just like a roller coaster it wants to move to the outside edge not the bottom. now for a victor or carb style intake it is just opposite. the reason for only going 1 1/2 inch is, it will bring more air in and at the point where the air and fuel mix from the injector shooting gas in slows the air anyway (about 1 1/2 inch in). i never said dont touch the meat around the guide i said dont touch the guide. u are correct that a vj and some bowl work will pick up more power.

i belive this gentleman is looking for some decent flowing heads not all out race heads. that is what we are trying to help him with.

who cares about my spelling im not great at it, but i can get my point across.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

novaflash2002 sent you a pm.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddBird
posted by stl200mph-------------------------------------------------------Turning wrenchs and being a good head porter is two different animals to say the least.... Sounds like you are getting ready to phuch up a set of heads....please have them flowed when you finish so that we can see how well you did...good luck ...

What is there to misunderstand about this reply? As far as the internet tough guy What do you expect, that being said I am trying to make the most out of the castings I have by blending, some light porting and a 5angle VJ. When Im done will they flow as much as your TEAs, HELL NO. But I can live with that can you? Cncing is great no argument here, if that's the way you want to go. I'm not. My question to you is if you been rodding since the 60s have you never tried to make the most out of the parts or setup you had by any means? Oh on the heads I have a few sets thanks anyway.
Exchanging ideas, concepts, and information is the whole point of this forum. You seem to think that being a internet warrior dealing in confrontation and argument is what is important. All this hostility means you obviously have trouble dealing with others with opinions different than yours. Maybe some anger management would be in your best interest. As I said before good luck with your porting and please follow through and let us know the flow numbers unless are you just going to assume that you did it correctly. As far as my hot rodding skills goes I am very confident in what I have accomplished in this sport/hobby. I NHRA class raced for many years and have won my class at national events and set a couple of NHRA national class records along the way. Competing on a national level will let you know where you rank with your fellow hot rodders. If you think that you are a good mechanic or "wrench turner" as you put it I say go class racing and you will see where you stack up. Peace ...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, keep this on topic or I'll lock it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Exchanging ideas, concepts, and information is the whole point of this forum. You seem to think that being a internet warrior dealing in confrontation and argument is what is important. All this hostility means you obviously have trouble dealing with others with opinions different than yours. Maybe some anger management would be in your best interest. As I said before good luck with your porting and please follow through and let us know the flow numbers unless are you just going to assume that you did it correctly. As far as my hot rodding skills goes I am very confident in what I have accomplished in this sport/hobby. I NHRA class raced for many years and have won my class at national events and set a couple of NHRA national class records along the way. Competing on a national level will let you know where you rank with your fellow hot rodders. If you think that you are a good mechanic or "wrench turner" as you put it I say go class racing and you will see where you stack up. Peace ...
Well guy excatly what was the ideas or concepts that we were exchanging when you posted I was about to phuch up a good set of heads? Just to let you know I am barred from anger management class.You still did not answer my qeustion. Whats with all the names guy you are very smug individule.As far as how I stack up, maybe you should get off the key board and put a wrench in your hand at a independent shop and see how well you stand up in the real world. As far as your opinion you are pro cnc heads you have made that very clear. To bad this thread wasnt CNCed Heads post your pics. To be truthful almost all of your replies in this thread, have been attacks on me. The funny thing is you know nothing about me or my skills.But yet you post your opinions anyway.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Damian
Guys, keep this on topic or I'll lock it.
Im done with the pissing match Lets see some more pics and info.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

What sanding tool would you recommend for polishing the combustion chamber? Cross buffs?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Old thread...thought I'd post my L92's I polished up. Took the sand casting flash off the insides of both the intake/exhaust ports and smoothed out the area below the valve seats...

This was done with my SKIL drill, flexible shaft, and one of those DIY porting kits from summit (sandpaper rolls).

This was done to a set of L92's I purchased from a board member that was caked full of carbon/oil that I cleaned myself. I have $50 bucks in this job

Excuse the date and the extra gunk on the valve guide hump lol
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

L92's from 2003?!?!?!? WTF!!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

lol, that's the default setting on this Kodak brick camera I have, lol. I had just charged it cuz it went dead and that's what it showed up as
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Good information >>I think about doing it on the 853 heads in the winter.
Keep it up post

Quick Reply: Home Porter Pics, NO CNCs