Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap wont start need ideas !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine swap wont start need ideas !!

camaro 00
as i say in the title i just swap my engine but it wont start .. when i turn the key i got power at the panel but it wont turn the engine ,

what i check already :
starter is ok i got a screwdriver and it turn the engine..
all the grounds clean and conected.
i already change starter relay...

what else can be the problem ?
neutral switch ? where is it located?
hidden ground im missing?

any idea is welcome
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

what kind of engine swap?
Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the voltage on the battery. It may have enough juice to light up the control panel but not enough to kick over the starter. If that's good take the starter off and have it checked at the local auto parts store. It should at least try to turn over. Start with the easy stuff and go from there.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Triple check your grounds.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cxpcman, sorry I dont mean to jack, but sounds like we are in the same boat, althought mine rolls over, but doesnt fire.

I am having an issue getting my swap to run too, I was wondering if someone knows how many grounds there actually are for a 2001 4.8L truck harness?? Thinking back I think there was 3.....2 that got grounded right beside the oil pressure sensor, and one by the alternator somewhere. I put a strap from the oil sender ground spot to the fire wall, and the battery is grounded to the cylinder head and the body as well. Do I need more grounding??
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you just swapped engines it is most likely a ground issue. easy way to find out if where the ground wires are move them around as someone tries to start it. another way to find out is if a ground is bad it should feed back through the wire to fuse box with a test light hook it to a ground and touch one of the terminals on the crank fuse if it tries to kick over with the key on thats also a ground issue. or it could also be an ignition switch that went bad. see if you have a security blinking or staying on when the key is on.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
cxpcman, sorry I dont mean to jack, but sounds like we are in the same boat, althought mine rolls over, but doesnt fire.

I am having an issue getting my swap to run too, I was wondering if someone knows how many grounds there actually are for a 2001 4.8L truck harness?? Thinking back I think there was 3.....2 that got grounded right beside the oil pressure sensor, and one by the alternator somewhere. I put a strap from the oil sender ground spot to the fire wall, and the battery is grounded to the cylinder head and the body as well. Do I need more grounding??

well i think you need 2 one that goes to the engine block, as close to the starter as you can the other to chassis and a flexible ground strip from the engine to the chassis ..
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dride76
what kind of engine swap?
o change my old 347 with a brand new 408
Old 09-02-2009, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
if you just swapped engines it is most likely a ground issue. easy way to find out if where the ground wires are move them around as someone tries to start it. another way to find out is if a ground is bad it should feed back through the wire to fuse box with a test light hook it to a ground and touch one of the terminals on the crank fuse if it tries to kick over with the key on thats also a ground issue. or it could also be an ignition switch that went bad. see if you have a security blinking or staying on when the key is on.
that damn security light seem to be a very common problem ..now im looking for a procedure to replace the lock!