Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam off a tooth

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam off a tooth

What would happen if a cam got installed one tooth off? How would it affect performance? Is there anyway to tell if it`s off without pulling the cover?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:06 AM
Restricted User

I dont think you can check it with the cover on, unless you were bruoght #1 up, and checked the valve stems to make sure they were closed. That is one way, and for that it doesnt ahve to be #1. I thought I had one tooth off with my old cam, although there was noticeable increase over stock, not like my friends gains with same cam. Took it out and upon removal, looked, to my relief is was on dot to dot. I am sure one tooth off would be too much for it to run, at least any way shape or form decently.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention, depending on the size of the cam, you would probably have MASSIVE P to V problems.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

I had this happen to me. My car's dyno was down 40 RWHP and the torque came up a tad over stock. The dyno curve looked exactly like my stock one did...almost identical curves and the car sounded "flat". It sounded like it didn't want to go all the way to the top of the RPM's. It was off one tooth exactly.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

mine is making some power but not as much as i thought it would it`s also turbo charged so i think that would probaly mask some of the problem. The thing that gets me suspicious is the fact that the car always feels like it`s strugling and i can`t get it to rev past 6000 under WOT, The rpms just stop a little short of 6000 and then it starts to chug and break up realy bad. I double checked my rev limiters and it`s set to 6800. The shop that assembled the long block screwed some other stuff up so i`m wondering if they didn`t screw this up to.
BTW The cam is stock.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

Yes it would definitely affect performance...

The CORRECT way to put a new camshaft in, which most shops will not take the time to do is this:

1) Take cam specs (Intake opening value, lsa and centerline)...

2) Degree the cam in using a degree wheel.

3) Recheck degreeing the cam in.

Most shops will not take the time to degree a cam in because it is a tedious process. All cams should be degree'd in to make sure it's perfect, even if the manufacturer says install it straight-up, we will degree the cam in still.

When it comes down to it, do things the right way the first time so you won't have problems down the line.

- Matt
Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

I`m trying to find a good turbo cam when i find one i`ll do the install myself and degree it so i know it`s correct. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we had my cam in a single tooth off...the car ran, but not very well...

it made 340/350 on the stock cam before the swap and with a tooth off it made 340/~300

it basically made no tq and had no top end...

we pulled it back apart and low and behold...one tooth off

afterwards it was like driving a different car...

Quick Reply: cam off a tooth