Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock bottom LS1, TFS 515 kit, low numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009 | 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Not to crash your party, but your name is soooo familiar... Didn't you used to host a bunch of 1150 RWHP Skyline GTR vids? I saved a few of those, they are the nuts! Especially the one with the car in 4wd almost jumping off the rollers.
LOL, I wish that was me! I liked what it stood for, so I've been using it for a while.

And yes, those cars are sick!!
Old 09-26-2009 | 10:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I would look into your pushrod length, probably holding the valves open if they are too long. Shoot for .020-.080" preload, also make your cam is degreed to the proper intake centerline. Double check all your plugs and wires, it is not hard to crack the porcelin on a plug. Ohm out your wires, seems like you have a dead hole.
I already said that there were no misfiring cylinders.
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:41 PM
Teching In

Ok, I'm confused again, and I'm sure it's something simple that I just can't wrap my head around.

Finally got some time for me and the car's owner to hook up so I would work on it for a minute. I borrowed a dial indicator and all the goodstuff to see how much preload I was getting on the lifters.

Number 1 cyl at TDC(camshaft and crankshaft dots lined up...), put in the two pushrods and the two rockers, hand tightened the bolt down till I could turn it no more by finger, "zero lash", pushrod can't spin anymore, etc. Set up the dial indicator and began to tighten the bolt with a tq wrench.

Indicator moved a little bit, then the valve spring started compressing for almost 2 full turns of the wrench before it got to where it would tq... I don't recall this happening when the engine was first assembled, I would hope I would have noticed it, that and the two other people standing around me....

This car makes me want to
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:26 AM
Teching In

7.5 push rods sounded too long from the start. Do you have an adjustable pushrod so you can find the correct lenght? Also, what thickness HG is installed?
Old 10-16-2009 | 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Ok, I'm confused again, and I'm sure it's something simple that I just can't wrap my head around.

Finally got some time for me and the car's owner to hook up so I would work on it for a minute. I borrowed a dial indicator and all the goodstuff to see how much preload I was getting on the lifters.

Number 1 cyl at TDC(camshaft and crankshaft dots lined up...), put in the two pushrods and the two rockers, hand tightened the bolt down till I could turn it no more by finger, "zero lash", pushrod can't spin anymore, etc. Set up the dial indicator and began to tighten the bolt with a tq wrench.

Indicator moved a little bit, then the valve spring started compressing for almost 2 full turns of the wrench before it got to where it would tq... I don't recall this happening when the engine was first assembled, I would hope I would have noticed it, that and the two other people standing around me....

This car makes me want to
That's probably because at the time of installation there was less or no oil in the lifters. Also just because you're dot to dot doesn't necessarily mean you're completely on the base circle of the cam, you may actually be starting to get a touch of lift at the point. Reverse the rotation a little and see how that works. Compression of the valve spring for 2 full turns at the point does sound a little excessive so as many have said, verify the cam with a degree wheel.

Originally Posted by mwatson185
7.5 push rods sounded too long from the start. Do you have an adjustable pushrod so you can find the correct lenght? Also, what thickness HG is installed?
Trick flows have a thicker deck than GM castings and typically require a longer pushrod than regular GM stuff. However verifying pushrod length on every setup is always important.
Old 11-05-2009 | 08:18 PM
Teching In

Ok, I know it's been a while but got a chance to spend a few minutes on the thing. I got a pushrod checker and was checking them out..

Rotate clockwise until intake valve closes and exhaust begins to open. Stop there, put in checker, tq rocker down, extend checker to zero lash.

Measure checker, 7 7/16, or 7.437. Add about .050, gives 7.487. The 7.500's should be sufficient.

I did this on an exhaust as well, rotating until the intake just begins to close and checking it there....

Don't have the tools or the parts to degree the cam so I'm going to reassmble the top end and run a compression test to see what we get there...

Last edited by ExViTermini; 11-06-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Can't multitask.....
Old 11-05-2009 | 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

You need to check the exhaust when the intake is closing...

Shane
Old 11-06-2009 | 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
You need to check the exhaust when the intake is closing...

Shane
Yikes, multitasking owns me! I measured it that way but sure didn't write it that way Thanks, I'll change the phrasing now.
Old 11-06-2009 | 11:32 AM
Teching In

Were you using a solid lifter when checking theh PR length?
Old 11-06-2009 | 03:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mwatson185
Were you using a solid lifter when checking theh PR length?
No, the engine is already assembled and has been run.