Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it ok to reuse factory head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the crank and head bolts the only ones you can't reuse ?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rods also are TTY
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

yea but you can reuse the rodbolts right?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

No, TTY means torque to yield, one time use only.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul57
I appreciate you pointing out some of this info.
I just want to make sure I have the "bottom line" correct here...it isn't like I've never had bad information before .
So you are telling me that...GM bolts are better for a 200,000 mile motor than the ARP (or any reusable) head bolt is. Correct?????
The point that I am trying to make is that GM builds cars and trucks with the LS series engine in them and they build tham to last for 200,000 + miles if maintained properly. They are not building the car or truck with the thought that the owner is going to be pulling the heads every so often. 99.9 % of their vehicles do not have the heads off and on. The performance enthusist is a very small percentage of their market. They are trying to build a good product in a very "COST EFFECTIVE" manner. The TTY fasteners that were designed for the LS series engines do what they were designed for very effectively. There is no hype to it. It is just good product design. The cost of the GM head bolts is minimal to say the least. You will have to change heads numerous times to off set the cost of a set of ARP head bolts. The ARP fasteners do a very good job too and are reuseable as a added bonus. It just depends on your particular situation as to which fastener is best for your application. The stock head bolts are a very good fastener to say the least and they are not expensive to replace. End of story. Good luck with your mods...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

A friend of mine who is an A mechanic for a Chevy dealer told me the block itself is only suppossed to have head bolts installed in it a limited number of times. Now I have no other confirmation on this and I post it in hopes somebody can confirm or deny this. This would be another good reason for studs as the threads in the block do not see the turning forces and simply act as an immobilized anchor.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

If you are building a NA car or light on the nitrous, GM bolts are fine. If you are racing, putting a big shot or blowing on it with a lot of boost, ARP is probably a better choice.

I get the GM head bolts for $36.00 for both heads, ARP bolts are $143, studs over $220. You better be racing or pulling the heads off a lot to cover the cost for no added benefit.

If look at ARP's instructions on bolt stretch it is not a lot different than torque to yield. You are stretching a bolt to a predetermined length to provide a specific clamping force. The GM TTY system is doing the same thing but the bolts are not reusable per their specifications. Their fastener engineers determined that if a specific bolt is tight x amount of degrees of a specific sequence a predetermined clamping force will be applied. If the LS7, stock and modified, can stay together with the GM fasteners I am sure 90% of the engines on here will be just fine.

I have not checked the LS9 to see what they are using but it would be nice to know.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

ARP bolts here and 3 heads lifts on the count...Go ARP! But GM are fine if you dont plan to lift heads at all..
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I have had 3 sets of heads on this block and they all sealed up perfect.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have to re-torque the head bolts after the engine is heated up?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:02 AM
Teching In

I USED Mind. AND ITS AT 300000 miles so keep buying more bolts lol smh
Old 05-05-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by carmine lucchese
I USED Mind. AND ITS AT 300000 miles so keep buying more bolts lol smh
USED Mind??? Doesn't sound like it.....
Old 05-05-2018, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
do you have to re-torque the head bolts after the engine is heated up?
the only thing ive seen that u should retorque or check after tightening is the intake bolts and rocker bolts
Old 05-06-2018, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Robot Engine Assembly OR Human Hand

Hi ALL, I see EVERYONE here "missed" the FACT that GM engines are assembled by ROBOTS.

THUS they are not built to "feel" a bolt stretch as can the Human Hand.

I ALSO state Rod Bolt Life is measured by length increase. (new/used)

WHO can state the difference between the Head Bolt/Rod Bolt ?

Lance
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Stock or stock replacement (e.g. FelPro) head bolts are TTY, and one-time-use ONLY.

Think of them as being, rather than "bolts", calibrated SPRINGS. As "bolts", they are kinda too small, unless made of REAL HIGH tensile strength steel; they are designed to be tightened until they lose their perfect (or nearly so) dimensional properties, and instead operate in a range where they stretch a controlled amount to regulate the tension. ARP and the like may be designed to work more like traditional bolts, which behave more like a clamp than a spring.

Lance, I don't know what you're looking for on that. Although, most rod bolts these days are designed to be tightened until they stretch some specified amount; with some stock ones, the torque spec gives close enough to the right stretch, but with others, you have to use the method of tightening until "tight", whatever that might be for the particular bolts, then adding more torque to provide the correct stretch; or, actually directly measuring the stretch, since that also gives you the capability of comparing it on tear-down to what was recorded at build time, to diagnose end-of-life.

Rocker bolts in these motors, I see some people say they're TTY and others not. Personally I can't feature how a bolt THAT SMALL could thread into ALUMINUM and get tight enough to TTY. Especially since the torque spec on em is pretty much what you'd expect in normal usage for non-TTY bolts of that size. But I don't know that for sure so don't take what I say as gospel. The intake bolts (and valve cover ones for that matter... they work the same way) however, just squeeze some rubber, which then regulates the clamping force. All the bolt tightness does, is to lock it against something to hold it still from turning. That tubular thing it goes through is what it tightens against, not anything to do with the intake itself. I can't imagine how it would ever be worthwhile to re-torque any of those things.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I know a few who reused the bolts without any problems. I personally would reuse them BUT the time it takes to clean them properly isn't worth it to me. One other thing you should never remove head bolts in these aluminum blocks without first relieving the threads with a sharp blow to the head of the bolt<this action causes the bolt threads to release from block threads. If you read GM's instructions on removing the bolts they want you to take a large flat punch and hammer then WHACK each head bolt before removal.

THAT IS ALL.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Head bolts are torque-to-yield and should never be reused while rod bolts are simply torque-angle. The rod bolts can be reused only if there is no neckdown. The late GM TTY head bolts are a great example of why TTY should not be reused as the stretch is quite visually obvious when removed from service, especially so when compared to a new bolt.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Funny I watched them building LS1 engines and they didn't TTY the headbolts. They used air tools and standard torque.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Funny I watched them building LS1 engines and they didn't TTY the headbolts. They used air tools and standard torque.
"Them" who? GM? Manufacturers only use torque wrenches with book procedure when hand building. The machines they use on the assembly line torque all at the same time (ideal method) and actually do follow the torque angle procedure.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

No they don't, I seen them being built. where did you see them being built? Person loads the bolts onto the engine and uses a large robotic air tool. All the bolts were tightened at same to a torque spec. No angle BS involved. All that angle BS is to fool you guys into ooowww AHHHHH I gotta jump how high?

Quick Reply: is it ok to reuse factory head bolts