Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it ok to reuse factory head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I've seen ALL KINDS of things being built, as well as designed building things. I can assure you, what you "see", isn't necessarily the same as what's actually being DONE.

All the angle thing does, is establish how far the bolts stretch. 90° = ¼ of the thread pitch for example. Tighten em that far, the part between the threads and the head gets that much elongation, at some point you reach the spot where they quit acting like metal rods and start acting like springs. Which is what they're intended, in the FACTORY design, to do.

For all you know watching those robots, they might very well be tightening each until it reaches the "tight" point (25 ft-lbs or whatever), then tighten em .x turns (fractions of a turn, aka "degrees", aka angle) farther.

How is that "fool you guys"?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally don't believe the TTY bs, a bolt is a bolt. Manufacturers love to complicate things especially car companies.................................. you believe what you will.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Where does "believe" enter into this? Are we starting a new religion or something?

What IS, is what IS.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I personally don't believe the TTY bs, a bolt is a bolt. Manufacturers love to complicate things especially car companies.................................. you believe what you will.
The bolt's metallurgy and shape determine torqueing procedure. You can "believe" what you want, hardware is made to be torqued a certain way. TTY IS an actual procedure, ignorance notwithstanding....
Old 05-11-2018, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m sure RockinWs6 is the type of person that sees a “Wet Paint” sign on a park bench and doesn’t believe it and sits on it anyways.
When you watch the “robot” torque machines you can see them torque to a specific value then they will turn another quarter turn. And that you can see with your own eyes.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:30 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Take old head bolts out, place new head bolts beside, that tells the story right there. The used bolts are at least 1/4" longer than new, the "stretch" is what gives them such great retaining power over the long haul. I have done this same test with rod bolts and there is no length change, so I have reused rod bolts numerous times now without issue. I have wanted to try re-using head bolts simply to see how it works out but havent had a big enough junk pile to risk that on yet
Old 05-11-2018, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Believe what you will......
Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Believe what you will......
It's more about factual info, but believe what you will,,,,
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default AARP LS Head Bolts = NEVER unless machined

Hi ALL, the ARP company is GOD ???
THIS COMPANY does NOT Manufacture LS head bolts/studs correctly.
THIS COMPANY does manufacture bolts/studs for AL head racing engines.

VIEW their OWN TECH showing the "undercut" bolts/studs for use on OTHER AL head racing engines.

I have a method, very simple, to correct this DEFECT.
I place an ARP stud in my Hardinge Lath then machine (undercut) to the correct diameter to ALLOW correct STRETCH.

I then install, tighten, the studs AND can feel the correct stretch !

Lance
Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No they don't, I seen them being built. where did you see them being built? Person loads the bolts onto the engine and uses a large robotic air tool. All the bolts were tightened at same to a torque spec. No angle BS involved. All that angle BS is to fool you guys into ooowww AHHHHH I gotta jump how high?
Go to 4:10
That same process has been used throughout the Gen III/IV/V builds along with nearly every other manufacturer's engines over the last couple decades.

You're a moron.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Whoa.........a moron really?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Go to 4:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsil_N5z6Kw
That same process has been used throughout the Gen III/IV/V builds along with nearly every other manufacturer's engines over the last couple decades.

You're a moron.
BS you didn't see them do anything except torque the bolts! Show me a video where the factory TTY the head bolt! You're not gonna cause THEY DON"T TTY um!
Old 05-11-2018, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

BS you didn't see them do anything except torque the bolts! Show me a video where the factory TTY the head bolt! You're not gonna cause THEY DON"T TTY um!
Whoa.........a moron really?
Yes, really. You don't even understand the terminology, much less the process.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Reuse them. Sloppy mechanics made 1000 tire with reused bolts and head gaskets lol
Old 05-11-2018, 02:23 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Stock bolts are great. Re-use might work, it might not, i havent tried yet. They are inexpensive and its your engine so use whatever you want, however you want.

For all out race ARP makes a lot of sense simply due to tear downs and resisting head lifting. Once north of 1000hp head lifting becomes common and all those guys are always looking for ways to keep the heads down with upgrading head fasteners, 6 bolt block, etc. Worlds fastest cars all run ARP, including Top Fuel dragsters so they must be doing something right. Smokey swore by ARP, thats the only fasteners he would use. Great reputation for quality in that outfit. Not many here are planning over 1000hp though so for most of us stock bolts are fine. It is a pita to have to replace them each time apart, that I do dislike. Aint nothing perfect
Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mavn
Reuse them. Sloppy mechanics made 1000 tire with reused bolts and head gaskets lol
NO WAY.....the world would END!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Trust me on this, you can reuse them without any problems......... Don't believe me...... I don't care SHEEP. LMAO
Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me on this, you can reuse them without any problems......... Don't believe me...... I don't care SHEEP. LMAO
You've personally done this successfully? Because your previous posts asking for shop recommendations for a basic cam/lifter install suggest that you're a Google warrior.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You've personally done this successfully? Because your previous posts asking for shop recommendations for a basic cam/lifter install suggest that you're a Google warrior.
The only thing he's done successfully is look like an idiot. I made the mistake of arguing with him before. He acts like he knows all, uses big words, tells people they need to listen "when a professional tells them something" and then asks who can work on his car and how it's done.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

TTY simply means the bolt was torqued to its yield point, stretching it permanently, as opposed to a standard fastener application which it is stretched only when torque is applied, and that returns to its original dimensions when removed. You can stretch any fastener to its yield.

When a TTY exceeds it's yield point, the clamping force will not increase. That energy is now put into permanent deformation of the bolt. Also, torque required to achieve a particular clamping force varies with thread friction. Using a torque angle method is much more accurate. LS TTY headbolds use a torque angle method of tightening to ensure they reach the yield point and deform permanently, so that the proper clamping force is delivered evenly across the entire head.

it isn't GM being cheap.

ARP uses a different process for their bolts. Because their bolts are much stronger, and iirc not really suitable for use as a TTY bolt, they use their own lubricant to ensure an accurate and repeatable amount of thread friction. This is why they have a ft-lb value on their specs and do not use torque angle.

Also, I have heard of people having to go back and re-tighten after some measure of heat cycling to ensure that the proper torque is maintained when using ARP studs/nuts. you don't hear of this with the stock TTY bolts. do it right once and you are done.

Quick Reply: is it ok to reuse factory head bolts