Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it ok to reuse factory head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The proof is in the pudding. In stock application with MLS type gaskets LS engines simply do not have head gasket failures. I dont know of a single FACTORY installed head with GM TTY bolts that has ever let go. That tells the story for itself right there.

With above post re ARP is for serious use, by serious racers, who need serious strength plus the added bonus of being re-usable. Simply installing ARP bolts or studs and walk away forget it forever as you can with stock tty botls? Probably not very wise. One quick search of the many ARP balancer bolts coming loose can prove that for you. For any street driven car the tty bolts are the best way to go.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I personally don't believe the TTY bs, a bolt is a bolt. Manufacturers love to complicate things especially car companies.................................. you believe what you will.
It's not what anyone believes it's all proven science. The auto manufactures have a department that does nothing fastener R&D. The purpose of torque to yield is accuracy and repeatability on a assembly line. If you don't believe TTY is a real thing then you must think metallurgy is not a science. Bolt stretch is real and measureable as is the clamping force attained at a certain percentage of stretch. The issue with TTY bolts is that when stretched and then loosed they do not maintain their original length/shape so the torque needed to attain the same clamping force changes. You can attain the same clamping force without stretching a bolt but it takes a larger diameter bolt and it's not as accurate/repeatable. You also have to look at the material used in bolt manufacturing. Different bolts use different material in order to achieve the desired reaction when torque is applied.

So to answer the OPs question yes the bolts can be reused but you won't have an accurate way to measure the torque needed to attain the desired clamping force. Torqueing the used bolt to the same torque specification as the new bolt will not give you the same clamping load and how much more torque is needed is just a guessing game.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
It's not what anyone believes it's all proven science.
Boom. But I doubt it will do any good. He's a hard-headed idiot who knows it all.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

For the guys who reuse factory head bolts, what torque specs do you use?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever

Thanks.
SERIOUSLY??? After all that got said above?? Oh wait, you must be a friend of RockinWS6.....
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Hopefully the number is before it snaps off in the block.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure both instances are in the same neighborhood.... lol
Old 05-13-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Reuse them. Sloppy mechanics made 1000 tire with reused bolts and head gaskets lol
Ok, I just asked a simple question for the people who have reused head bolts, that's it. Was it to factory specs, or just torque them to ?. I'm assuming people have seen the Sloppy's builds, and would like to know what they used for torque specs. It's been done and proven, still running today. Now, the engine I'm putting back together has new head bolts, the next one might not, I probably won't do have the stuff I did to this one. I will go buy another used engine, through a cam it and call it done, it's cheaper.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

it honestly scares me a little that guys out there are taking short cuts like these, and defending their actions. for the cost of new headbolts, why would you? so what if someone got away with it making a grand of ponies with boost? if you were doing lemons or a roadkill-clone episode on youtube, yeah ok, i get it. it doesn't make it ok on my car.

if it's my car, i would want to do it right. if i make a mistake or do it wrong, when it's something as important as a head gasket seal, it's out of ignorance and i would want to be corrected and feel like an idiot for doing it wrong, not insist i was right to do it the wrong way.

that's just me i guess.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Boom. But I doubt it will do any good. He's a hard-headed idiot who knows it all.
Sorry but someone has to know something around here. LMAO Ya know you guyz keep calling me names because you don't agree with me. Don't children do such stupid things? It surprise's me how immature you all are.

When ANY of you have as much experience as ME<actual 47 years working on engines> and actually tried reusing the bolts and they FAIL<which aint never gonna happen by the way> then I may agree but until then I say YOU CAN USE THEM because I've seen it done without any problems.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 05-14-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks.
Do a search on this site, plenty of guys reused them. PM them and ask what they did. Some guys with high HP motors too. Not sure why but when ever this subject comes up everyone gets to name calling and bunched up panties.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
it honestly scares me a little that guys out there are taking short cuts like these, and defending their actions. for the cost of new headbolts, why would you? so what if someone got away with it making a grand of ponies with boost? if you were doing lemons or a roadkill-clone episode on youtube, yeah ok, i get it. it doesn't make it ok on my car.

if it's my car, i would want to do it right. if i make a mistake or do it wrong, when it's something as important as a head gasket seal, it's out of ignorance and i would want to be corrected and feel like an idiot for doing it wrong, not insist i was right to do it the wrong way.

that's just me i guess.
The OP of this thread asked for OPINION on reusing head bolts. Whether people like it or not people do reuse these head bolts. What I don't understand is why everyone acts like the world is going to end if they reuse them. I seen tests done by some very knowledgeable engineers on used bolts that showed they could be reused.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Exactly.

As far as reusing head bolts and can you, of course you can.. Plenty of people have played russian roulette and not died, but many have. I just prefer not to play it. Especially when it costs $30 to avoid it.

At a certain point people start to value their time over saving a buck, and wise people know it's cheaper to do it right the first time.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

The OP of this thread asked for OPINION on reusing head bolts. Whether people like it or not people do reuse these head bolts. What I don't understand is why everyone acts like the world is going to end if they reuse them. I seen tests done by some very knowledgeable engineers on used bolts that showed they could be reused.
You don't get it (BIG surprise...). Sure you CAN reuse the bolts. Sure they might probably hold up! BUT the chances are good they might not. MANY have not. ANYTHING can be reused. Does that make it a good idea? Sometimes yes, usually no. Those very knowledgeable engineers showed they could be reused, but that does NOT mean they held up. That's like reusing oil drained after 10,000 miles. Will it do the job? Yes, for a while, but not nearly as well as fresh oil.
Bottom line, just because you CAN do something does not always mean it's a good idea.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

raise your hand if you've lifted a head/pushed water on an ls.

now put your hand down if you made in excess of 1000 wheel

for most of us 500 - 600 wheel guys, reusing stock bolts is fine.

most of us will bust a ring land or bend a rod waaay before a head lifts.

if you need the extra peace of mind, ****** do it. its a free country.

just don't act like those of us who don't are fools playing with a live grenade
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search on this site, plenty of guys reused them. PM them and ask what they did. Some guys with high HP motors too. Not sure why but when ever this subject comes up everyone gets to name calling and bunched up panties.
How about YOU? Have YOU ever reused them? You're the one looking for a shop to do some basic top end work on your car, right? All that "experience" and not a clue nor any ability. Lay off the Google crack pipe.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Sorry but someone has to know something around here. LMAO Ya know you guyz keep calling me names because you don't agree with me. Don't children do such stupid things? It surprise's me how immature you all are.

When ANY of you have as much experience as ME<actual 47 years working on engines> and actually tried reusing the bolts and they FAIL<which aint never gonna happen by the way> then I may agree but until then I say YOU CAN USE THEM because I've seen it done without any problems.
Way back in ~2000 or so one of the big name car magazines Car and Driver or Motor Trend or Road & Track covered a shoot out with several mod'd cars. There was a big name shop who's Corvette had REUSED head bolts. The car blew a head gasket during the testing. The shop mentioned they had been testing a lot and reused the head bolts a couple of times. They looked like foolish.

​​​​​I tended to follow the advice of the expert engine builders I've known several in NASCAR and I don't think any of them would put their name and reputation on an engine with a reused TTY GM head bolt regardless of what someone else might claim about it being OK to do. None of the NASCAR engine builders I've known would reuse a TTY GM head bolts bolt. They would replace it with a better bolt or a new TTY GM head bolt.

There a big difference in doing something for 47 years and doing it right way for 47 years

I've known guys that call themselves master engine builders that put pistons in with the valve relief turned the wrong way. I knew another expert that didn't think honing was needed if you carefully bored the block.

YMMV
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Seriously??? I have looked at the posts you started and they don't show 47 years of experience?

I don't care if a person has 2 years or 70 years experience if they know what they are doing, Some of the smartest people I have met have had only a few years experience in their line of work and know more than someone who 3x as much experience.
I don't claim to be a better than everyone else, I know plenty who are smarter than me but I also have met plenty who claim to be a genius that can't understand basic principles.

I seen tests done by some very knowledgeable engineers on used bolts that showed they could be reused.
Link to tests???...Oh wait I know better, You won't have one.

A very knowledgeable engineer would not say they are ok to be reused, That would go against everything they were taught.

They will work but as I said earlier you can't just guess at how far to tighten them and using the stock procedures.
Of all the things to save money on I can't see why anyone would want to reuse TTY bolts.
I know I have enough money into my engines that it would be crazy to try to save a few bucks and they aren't anything special.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

He's probably been doing oil changes on engines, when he wasn't sweeping the floor....
Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Fastener Service Life = Time of Use

Hi ALL, I work with Racing Engines with a Fastener Life Requirement CHANGE based on service time.
They are replaced, look as new, Mag OK, measure as new.

The problem is that if this is NOT DONE, the Warranty is VOIDED.

COULD they know a few things ?

Lance

Quick Reply: is it ok to reuse factory head bolts