Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installed, now excessive backfiring and flashing SES???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok yeah I know my car is running rich cause the smell of gas is definitely there. I took my scanning tool out and plugged her in, live data showed map readings on idle at ~14.5 kpa and when I was on the throttle and brought her up to about 2k rpms it dropped to ~8.8-9.0 kpa's.

I am pretty sure this is my culprit, back fires up top coming from too much fuel, or AFR being off.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Ok yeah I know my car is running rich cause the smell of gas is definitely there. I took my scanning tool out and plugged her in, live data showed map readings on idle at ~14.5 kpa and when I was on the throttle and brought her up to about 2k rpms it dropped to ~8.8-9.0 kpa's.

I am pretty sure this is my culprit, back fires up top coming from too much fuel, or AFR being off.
so where u taking ur car for a tune dude? im going to need one soon just ordered my cam kit
Old 10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem man, I am going to see about swapping my O2 sensors. Have you checked the preload on the springs? If you haven't I would do that and then you might be able to sell the 7.4 rods.
haven't checked preload because I don't have the tool and I will let the dyno guy do it if tuning doesn't take care of it.

Originally Posted by Z28boy2000
yeah had the same problem with my cam swap. get it tuned and like magic all your problems will be gone
Thanks, i was waiting for a good reply like this
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is a rich pig as well right now, my garage reeks after driving the car and didn't have this before
Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
haven't checked preload because I don't have the tool and I will let the dyno guy do it if tuning doesn't take care of it.

Thanks, i was waiting for a good reply like this
Here is the method to check with out a special tool, no dial indicator needed.

Take valve covers off look at all the rocker arms, i will say this is the lazy way too but it works well, ok so look for the rockers that are putting almost no pressure on the springs like they are all the way up or just about there., loosen the rocker arm bolt completely and then start to tighten with your fingers get it to where it is finger tight on the rocker arm, and the rocker arm doesn't wiggle as easily as it did before, you want to bolt to just be holding it in place, then get your torque wrench and measure the amount of turns it takes to get the bolt tightened to 22 ft/lb's. My method was 1/4 turns I measured it every 1/4 turn, 4 full 1/4 turns is one full tunr and so on and so forth, your aim is to be anywhere from 1 1/4 turn to 1 1/2 turns there are people that say 1 3/4 turns too but I am going with my method for now, if you are more than 1 3/4 turns your rods are too long, if you didn't make 1 full turn then your rods are too short. Keep in mind one full turn is .047" and the goal is to be between .050" and .075" (i pretty much am going close to the ranges that people are saying cause there is a big debate on whether or not LS7 lifters are the same as LS1 lifters).

IE you tested and you went roughly 3/4 of a full turn your rods are too short and your preload is at .035, which means there is not enough load on the springs, so longer rods would work better. Lets say yours for some reason is like mine was and it took 2 1/4 turns my preload was at .10575" I went with 7.350 rods and now my preload is .0587".

Let me know if this was helpful or if this is confusing as all heck lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
so where u taking ur car for a tune dude? im going to need one soon just ordered my cam kit
I am going to CMS, Ryne has been a real champ in helping out, he even had some extra pushrods laying around and brought them to me, real stand up guy.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

I am going to CMS, Ryne has been a real champ in helping out, he even had some extra pushrods laying around and brought them to me, real stand up guy.
ryne knows his **** i have only heard good thingS bout him. i just finished gathering all the cam specs and the order went through about an hour ago. i hope the rain stops so i can work on taking everything out by the time the cam gets here. i will be heading out to cms as well once im done
Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well went to my tuners shop last night. Ok so somehow two sets of plug wires were bad. Got everything dialed in and know the car boogies like it is goin out of style. Got it dyno tuned in just right and everything works magnificent.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Well went to my tuners shop last night. Ok so somehow two sets of plug wires were bad. Got everything dialed in and know the car boogies like it is goin out of style. Got it dyno tuned in just right and everything works magnificent.
I'm definately gonna take some spare plugs along when I tune now, hopefully mine turns out as well as yours, i couldn't imagine my brand new MSD wires would be bad but stranger things have happened
Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ohh see I used stock wires then pep boys brand wires and I was dropping cylinders like there was no tomorrow. Now it boogies and is just fun to drive.