Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam with stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam with stock heads

I have a 98 ls1. is it smart to go with any type of cam on my stock heads. Ive heard the 98 heads dont flow that good. So should i save up to get a set of good 243's or will my heads do fine for a few months if i get a cam? just looking for some advice before i really start doing research on which cam i should get. Really just more of a curious question i guess.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
I have a 98 ls1. is it smart to go with any type of cam on my stock heads. Ive heard the 98 heads dont flow that good. So should i save up to get a set of good 243's or will my heads do fine for a few months if i get a cam? just looking for some advice before i really start doing research on which cam i should get. Really just more of a curious question i guess.
If you are smart you will buy the best set of heads your budget can allow and match the cam to that set of heads.. Not saying you have to buy heads first necessarily, but would be best to be 100% certain what you are going to get.

With that said, you can run stock heads with an aftermarket cam and it will be just fine. I ran stock 98 heads with an Ms4 and Ported 9090 setup for almost a year before I bought my heads.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

tr224.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 13lu91rS
tr224.
Why would you say that? You don't even know what kind of heads he wants for his build.. What he wants out of it.. Where it will be a DD or a track only car.. Etc etc etc.. Very poor suggestion IMO for giving what little you know about the setup.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

because IMO that is a great overall cam.

if he wanted a racecar im sure he wouldve stated so, and not had to worry about the budget for heads.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 13lu91rS
because IMO that is a great overall cam.

if he wanted a racecar im sure he wouldve stated so, and not had to worry about the budget for heads.
Yes, it is a decent cam.. But there are many cams out there that would fit many different applications much better than that one.

There are plenty of budget minded racers out there, I was one of them.

Just trying to say don't give a suggestion to someone that might go do something on a whim because you said so without having a full grasp of what they are looking for! :beer:
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Do whatever cam you want,

But research it well first, ... try and avoid the bigger must be better syndrome.
Then do your heads when you're ready.
You'll need both v-springs and pushrods as a minimum to go with any aftermarket cam.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

A cam will be fine on stock heads research different cam options you may consider but you may not see its FULL potential till you add heads. That being said Im happy with my cam setup on my stock 241's. New heads coming when I get some extra cash. Also since youve got a 98 ls1 with I asume a stock ls1 intake you should think about upgrading it to a ls6 or FAST bc you would have some nice gains there. My dad just did an ls6 intake swap on his 98 vette with a tune and noticed a nice difference.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a ton of info on camshaft selection per user application on this forum. There is no "best" cam. It all depends on what your use and goals are with your car. I made 409 rwhp with a cam and bolt ons with stock heads. When I changed out the heads the first time I decided to go with a different cam because my goal for cars performance had changed. One thing for sure a good set of heads will work with just about any cam selection. Just take your time and do your research and you will be fine. If you just go cam before heads that will work fine. The 224 cam the was suggested is a nice small cam but there are many other choices out there that will make more power and still have good driveability. No matter what cam you select you will need a good tune for it to produce to its potential...patrick g and preditor z are good with specing cams for people as are many of the sponsors of LS1tech....you may want to discuss your selection with one of those people ... good luck with your mods ...

Last edited by slt200mph; 10-11-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Well the only plans i have as of now for bolt-ons are a fast90/90, pacesetters, e-cutout, and a good set of ported 243's. Thats just what i had in mind. I already have the exhaust. My car will be DD but im looking for power over drivability. Im not looking for the biggest cam, but i dont want a small cam. maybe the 230's?

On a side not, ill be on stock bottom end so i wont be turning high rpm's. maybe 6200 max as i have a 98 ls1. Im not sure if that would change the selection in a cam or not but just in case, im throwing that out there.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with a good midrange cam, something that makes a lot of torque under the curve. Call TSP and ask them what they think, or talk to pat g or pred z on the boards.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the only plans i have as of now for bolt-ons are a fast90/90, pacesetters, e-cutout, and a good set of ported 243's. Thats just what i had in mind. I already have the exhaust. My car will be DD but im looking for power over drivability. Im not looking for the biggest cam, but i dont want a small cam. maybe the 230's?

On a side not, ill be on stock bottom end so i wont be turning high rpm's. maybe 6200 max as i have a 98 ls1. Im not sure if that would change the selection in a cam or not but just in case, im throwing that out there.
Don't know exactly what you are looking for still.. But I would assume something like a 228/230 .588 (depending on if you are going to spray) 112ls1 or 114ls1..