Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulled head and this is what i found.opinions needed please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah sounds like rings.How many miles not that it really matters that much cause something can break at any amount of miles but anyway?!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a light and carefully look around the edge of the piston. you maybe able to see some damage. With all that oil in the cylinder the rings are either busted or the piston is. Other things could be involved too but now that you went this far i would pull the pan and pop the piston out.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

what throws me off with this is the lack of noise you say the motor didnt have. Typically when u have a busted ring landing like the picture on the previous page shows, you can hear it. Try turning the motor by hand to bring the piston all the way to the bottom then all the way back up. Then once again rotate the motor so the piston is at the bottom. See if any oil finds its way passed the piston rings.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Mine didn't have any noise and number 7 cylinder was using oil badly. Well the only noise i heard was the piece of piston going out the exhaust.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhall
Did not check this.We did pressureize the cylinder with the rockers off and noticed that there was air coming from the oil tube but also checked other cylinders with good compression and they did the same thing so did not take this as meaning anything.I should of bought a leakdown tester but was hoping to see evidence with the head removed.It appears that i made a mistake here.

You state above that the cylinder in question made 70 psi, where the others made 190 psi. That's enough information to be considered a pressure/leakdown test. Potato, Patato, it was enough of a leak down/pressure test to call it one.

You have a very obvious ringland problem w/ that cylinder.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samson_420
Is it just me or the exhaust valve looks burnt?

It seem like a piston ring/landing problem. It's acting and looks just like mine did when I blew off my top piston landing. Yet it still looked perfect from the top. The piston ring was holding the piston together.

Any metal in the oil?

Here is mine.

I pulled the drain plug and only a few tiny shavings which has been common at every oil change. nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frazierboy98
Yeah sounds like rings.How many miles not that it really matters that much cause something can break at any amount of miles but anyway?!
134k on the motor.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

From what i see in the pictures i'n starting to think its possible you have pasted rings and the pcv system is adding enough oil to make the cylinder look this bad. Pasted rings can fool you into thinking something is wrong.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

rings can paste in high mileage cars...don't be suprised if you pull it and nothing else is wrong. number 7 cylinder coolects alot of oil from the PCV system and adds to the posibility.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99RTA
From what i see in the pictures i'n starting to think its possible you have pasted rings and the pcv system is adding enough oil to make the cylinder look this bad. Pasted rings can fool you into thinking something is wrong.
Excuse my ignorance but what are pasted rings? All my friends here also told be that i should hear an issue if the ringland was bad but we did not hear a tick or anything. Thanks for all the replys fellas.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Pasted rings? < WTF dat mean?

My motor sounded perfect with that piston. . . .
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

Carbon build up can cause the rings to stick or paste to the piston. They stop moving and then loose contact with the cylinder. Happens in high mileage engines depending on what oil you use etc. Not saying that it but it sure looks like it.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

on the net its hard to say for sure BUTT i super sized your piston picture and i think i can see some kind of damage around the very top of the piston. I think yer cooked.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jhall
I pulled the drain plug and only a few tiny shavings which has been common at every oil change. nothing out of the ordinary.
Pull out your piston you have damage.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

It seem like a piston ring/landing problem. It's acting and looks just like mine did when I blew off my top piston landing. Yet it still looked perfect from the top. The piston ring was holding the piston together.

Any metal in the oil?

Here is mine.

Wow remind me not to ever buy speedpro pistons^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Detonation did that damage its not the fault of the Speed Pro pistons, it was the owner or tuner who took that one out.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any metal in the oil?

Here is mine.

Looking at this picture, it looks like you had problems before the detonation. The cylinder walls looks terrible.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evangto87
what throws me off with this is the lack of noise you say the motor didnt have. Typically when u have a busted ring landing like the picture on the previous page shows, you can hear it. Try turning the motor by hand to bring the piston all the way to the bottom then all the way back up. Then once again rotate the motor so the piston is at the bottom. See if any oil finds its way passed the piston rings.
I will give this a try again,i turned the motor over a few times and did not notice any oil.I put an ounce or so of oil in the cylinder before i pulled the head to see if compression would rise and it didnt,i guess it is possible the ring is damaged to the point where the oil would not help sealing the ring.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is one of those situations where you hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Worst case scenario you put a set of nice forged rods and pistons in it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1-450
He did.......

jhall,

Did you happen to notice if there was oil air coming out of the oil filler cap, with the car running & cap open? It still looks like a ringland to me.
if you think compression test is the same as a leak down test then you are an idiot!

Quick Reply: pulled head and this is what i found.opinions needed please...