Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt...oil pan.....help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt...oil pan.....help?

So I dropped the pick up tube bolt into the oil pan. Someone want to give me a step by step as to what I need to do here. I know I need to loosen the motor mounts and hoist the engine up a bit, and drop the k member. I dont really know how to do either....thanks
Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Have you tried using a strong magnet to fish it out?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Not yet, its on my list tomorrow. But I suppose it gives me a chance to change my motor mounts to some solid ones, lol
Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, if you got lucky, it didn't fall off the baffle. I did it once and got mine with a flex magnet. After that, I never forgot to shove rags under the pump again!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

So i just did the same thing and got frustrated and stopped and im going to start back on it tomorrow...Is there any light on the situation what did u do ?? did u get this out with any complications ??? not trying to pick up the motor and do all that with the k member....need help please
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you guys tried to drain the oil? pour some oil through the cavity where the bolt fell and open the bottom drain plug the bolt is small enough to go through that hole and plug your drain plug has a magnet
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a pen magnet. My buddy did the same thing on my car and we fished it out with a pen magnet. Maybe it was luck though...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Teching In

I have removed the oil pan in car without dropping the k member. Headers, starter were off along with all the junk at the front of the motor. I also had to remove the trans mount so it could pivot, engine mounts were still attached just the long bolt was removed from each.
It was a pain in the *** and thought it wasnt gonna happen. Had a friend help me and we eventially got it out, was VERY tight against the windage tray.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal. Put some bolts in the front of your heads, chain it to something across the top of the strut towers (4x4 board works ok) and use a long bolt to tighten it. Then remove the six K frame bolts and lower it with a jack. Should give you plenty of room to get the pan out without removing the K frame totally.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just use a pen magnet to fish it out. next time you go to tighten that bolt shove a rag in the oil pan so the bolt wont roll back if it falls in. but make sure you remove the rag after you tighten the oil pickup bolt!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

I would say first try to determine where the screw is, did it fall all the way back down into the sump of the pan, it may just be snagged up towards the front. Any type of flexible magnetic grabber will be your best bet w/o having to lift the motor. I took a small magnet, JB welded it to a coat hanger and was able to fish mine out, as it was snagged up towards the front. Yeah it was ghetto, but it saved alot of time w/o having to lift the motor and drop the pan, that should be the last resort. That screw is a PITA to get back in too, very tight spot. I attached the screw to the magnet and slowly guided it in the screw hole, the loc-tite held it in place long enough to get my wrench on it to tighten it down. Patience is needed to get the screw out, good luck....